Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would a value-priced Automatic Indica work?
Yes 96 70.59%
No 40 29.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2007, 14:38   #16
HSV
BHPian

I'd buy it! I am assuming if they'll offer an automatic it'll be atleast drivable if not performance oriented. And quite frankly there isnt ANY other option in that segment - Diesel + Hatch + A/T + Basic Frills + VFM !!!
Old 14th November 2007, 14:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Isnt the 1lakh car supposed to be automatic? I guess the Tata's are waiting for it to be launched before experimenting with Indica.
Old 14th November 2007, 14:52   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Isnt the 1lakh car supposed to be automatic? I guess the Tata's are waiting for it to be launched before experimenting with Indica.
Yup, I believe its a CVT.
Old 14th November 2007, 14:54   #19
BHPian

an automatic would be ideal for in-city commuting, have to agree. but I would still prefer the manual. it simply is more fun at the end of the day.

by the way, do we have a firm statistic now on personal indicas as opposed to taxi indicas ? I am seeing considerably large number of indica xetas and turbos these days. i don't think these are being used for taxi duty. isn't it time to face the fact that the indica is also used by the general population (what a shocker !!!) ? especially with the new variants offering ABS and airbags ?

i definitely think the auto tranny indica would work. especially amonst those who are happy with all other aspects of the indica. the women drivers would definitely will.

Last edited by hell_rider : 14th November 2007 at 14:56.
Old 14th November 2007, 14:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

India is warming up to automatics. I know of many persons who have converted from stick shifts to autos once they have tried them. They are literally converts. Before trying autos everyone has a wrong notion that an auto is very sluggish and a gas guzzler but in fact its quite the contrary. It all depends on the driving style. Agreed that an auto consumes marginally more than a manual and compared to a manual it is slightly sluggish as there is no control over the shifts but then in a crowded city like Bombay an auto is a boon. Due to lack of availability of better cars, if Tata offers the Indica with an auto box, I will be there in the line to get one. I am waiting for the Auto i10
I already have an Auto Santro and theres a literal fight in the house as to who is going to take her out.
Old 14th November 2007, 14:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also, simplest thing in the world to carry over the slushbox to the Indigo. An automatic spacious diesel sedan for 6.xx lacs? IMHO there is a ready market waiting there too!
i was desperately looking for such an option in the sedan\MUV range of vehicles when i returned to India from US -- but was thoroughly disappointed. Had to unlearn good driving and learn city traffic driving\honking in a geared indica in a motor driving school and have purchased an Indigo -- would any day go for a auto tranny petrol\diesel vehicle . What most of the folks dont realise is that FE is not the be all and end all of buying\owning a vehicle.
One should drive an Auto tranny in this mad city traffice to realize how easy and convenient it would be to drive one instead of the manaul
Indian mentality for FE needs to be unlearnt to make that happen and thats a huge uphill task for any auto manufacturer leave alone Tata's
Old 14th November 2007, 15:26   #22
SuperSyn

An Indica with automatic transmission sounds like an idea whose time has come. In the new-all-new Indica an automatic will make lot of sense. But why settle for four speed, when 5 and 6 speed are being mass produced?
The cost difference should not be that great, given the fact that TATA can dump the diesel engine+auto gearbox combo in any future FWD product they want, and generate reasonable volumes as well.

Get a firangi supplier for 5 speed torque converter, with lock in all gears except first.

The real problem will be overheating, TATA and the supplier will have to do more than jugaad moddings to make it reliable in stop-n-go or snailing traffic in Delhi summers....

Old 14th November 2007, 15:35   #23
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
the women drivers would definitely will.
Not just women, the aam-aadmi might as well take to automatics if only TATA can make sure that:

1. The fuel efficiency does not suffer too much. Note how the new Accord (USA) has little difference in fuel economy between the manual and automatic variants!

2. The performance does not suffer too much. This too is more or less assured as long as TATA choose any modern unit from the major suppliers, and adapt the thing properly.

3. The reliability and TCO/lifetime should not be compromised.

I think this is do-able. TATA should absolutely do this, it might start as a niche variant, but there's every possibility that they might have the first mover advantage and corner the majority in a sub-segment that can only grow in the future.

Old 14th November 2007, 15:44   #24
BHPian

Tata is expected to launch its Indi lineup with Fiat's MultiJet - does any one know if the MJD's come with an auto option?
Old 14th November 2007, 15:54   #25
BHPian

If TATA can add ABS + Airbags then AT and sunroof is not too far for them. There is no Disel machine with AT available till 10 lac plus price.
If C, C+ segment is given to Fiat as TATA may not play major role there, then TATA has to come up with great cars in B/B+ segment. AT would be one of those nice feature, which will make a difference.
Old 14th November 2007, 15:58   #26
BHPian

Nice topic. Incidentally this was one of the things that I had suggested on tata motors web site suggestions/feedback column almost 2 years back out of frustration :-). Back then I was looking for a VFM/small auto with Diesel economy but there were simply no options in the market.
Old 14th November 2007, 16:13   #27
BHPian

It sure is a very good idea and will definitely work. Knowing TATAs we can say they can do it and might do it sooner then expected.

Lets wait for the Jan 2008 auto expo and see what is the new platform they have to offer and does it include an AT.
Old 14th November 2007, 16:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Indica with Auto tranny is a great idea. However by nature those who buy Automatics are

- Not very cost conscious
- Give comfort a high priority

By extension, quality of interiors is very important to people who have the above mentioned attributes.

I can't imaging cabbies buying AT (because of their focus on fuel efficiency) so unless Tata can come up with interiors like i10, Indica AT will not sell well.
Old 14th November 2007, 16:34   #29
BHPian

Asking for it since last year
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...tml#post280458 (Tata Motors to launch DiCOR engine cars)
Even taxi drivers would love it I guess..
Old 14th November 2007, 16:49   #30
BHPian

AT is a boon for our traffic conditions, the mileage may not drop that much given the bumper to bumper traffic, long waits at the traffic signals and max speeds of 30kmph and combile with the diesel diet, the AT for Indi series would surely be a big hit, if priced right.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks