Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2007, 11:24   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancer View Post
a lot of people in mumbai are thinking about shifting to automatic car's so i guess it will be a matter of time that car companys will start flooding the market with auto options?
i hope it starts soon as soon as december cuz i need to pick one up asap now. only auto i like is civic but prices are sky high and used mart is similar too.
Old 17th November 2007, 15:50   #17
BHPian

Agree with this. Companies like Toyota sell automatic Innovas in other countries, why not India? The fact is that even though people think FE is massively impacted by manual, if you actually shifted exactly when required in order to maximize FE, you'd be doing nothing but upshifting and downshifting as traffic speeds and slows.
Old 17th November 2007, 17:19   #18
BHPian

does any one drive a crv automatic? looking at shifting from the sonata auto to the crv auto! need to know how the cars match up!
Old 17th November 2007, 17:25   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
Agree with this. Companies like Toyota sell automatic Innovas in other countries, why not India? The fact is that even though people think FE is massively impacted by manual, if you actually shifted exactly when required in order to maximize FE, you'd be doing nothing but upshifting and downshifting as traffic speeds and slows.
i agree i get out 1st gear then traffic the amount of times i press the clutch in a day i get tired in the evening when back from office. then i take the CVT on sundays and nights out its a breeze one leg and one hand free. though i use both legs now one for brakes and other for acc. i like it better like that.
Old 17th November 2007, 18:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
i agree i get out 1st gear then traffic the amount of times i press the clutch in a day i get tired in the evening when back from office. then i take the CVT on sundays and nights out its a breeze one leg and one hand free. though i use both legs now one for brakes and other for acc. i like it better like that.
Wow!! That must really take getting used to - the left leg for the brake.
Don't you find the angle a bit awkward?
Old 18th November 2007, 00:12   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Wow!! That must really take getting used to - the left leg for the brake.
Don't you find the angle a bit awkward?
not really the first month was the only time i used one leg then i drove it with both legs damn easy just dont think too much and it works out smooth. been driving auto since 10 yrs of friends and family and i finally got one too 2 year back waiting to pick up another nice auto just dont have a choice. i would love a sx4 auto right now with paddle shift under 9 laks or the new lancer auto with paddles for under 10 laks that would be rocking then,...
Old 27th November 2007, 01:15   #22
BANNED

uh are there any autos launched under 10 laks in 2008 or should i keep my used car hunt on...
Old 27th November 2007, 04:17   #23
BHPian

what is NHC CVT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice auto under 10 lacs? Look no further than the NHC CVT!
Please can you let us know what do you mean by NHC CVT!. I am Sorry, if I was supposed to know this already.

Thanks
Old 27th November 2007, 09:47   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The reason why automatics have a bad rap when it comes to fuel economy is because when automatics initially became popular they mostly came with 3 speeds. Hence engine invariably ran at much higher rps compared to the same model in stick shift given that most manual transmission had 5 gears. The more modern automatics have 5 gears or more and hence the mileage hit is very minimal.

If you drive in the city, I think the comfort of a manual is worth the small hit in milage any day.
Old 27th November 2007, 12:27   #25
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmami View Post
Please can you let us know what do you mean by NHC CVT!. I am Sorry, if I was supposed to know this already.

Thanks
new honda city - constant variable transmission.
Old 27th November 2007, 13:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice auto under 10 lacs? Look no further than the NHC CVT!

I agree with you a 100% !! The CVT is the best there is under 10 lac.

Outright acceleration might be a couple of seconds off in the CVT,..same for top speeds (probably lower by 8-10 kmph),...but the total journey time is faster due to quicker shifts and in the real world thats what matters !!

Now if I could only get Honda to get back to their element when it comes to reliability !!
Old 27th November 2007, 15:35   #27
BANNED

i have the cvt since 2 yrs now i want something else. im getting 10 km to a liter
Old 27th November 2007, 19:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post
What I really do not understand is why hasn't Honda launched the NHC VTEC with the CVT. Its a pity that you get an excellent tranny in the form of CVT and yet have to make do with the i-DSI engine.

Sometimes, Honda pricing and policies baffle me
same reason they haven't introduced airbags and ABS with the i-DSI engine - manual or CVT - even as an option. Who knows what they are thinking?!?!?
Old 27th November 2007, 19:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

GM plans to launch the Optra Magnum with an auto box but I would think that would be over 10 lakhs - perhaps Civic territory.
Also, Maruti not introducing auto transmissions in their models is a classic case of once bitten twice shy. They were a pioneer in launching an AT car in India with the Zen AT in 1990s but it just didnt take off. The company felt it was way ahead of its time and the customer did not understand it. That experience made them circumspect for a long time. Then they introduced the three-speed Wagon-R AT and that didnt do too well especially with the Santro AT being more easily available and a four speed to boot. It'll take a real shift in customer preferences or in Maruti's mindset for them to introduce auto boxes.
Old 28th November 2007, 02:36   #30
BANNED

i fail to understand. make cars in auto and take made to orders and even take a month to make them but start already. this country is so lame with automatics. all the sexed up autos are here but 15 lak and above. if a normal person wants to buy anything auto under 10 laks nothing really is there. like the i10 as well if u get auto no sunroof how lameeee. best bit sunroof is not by hyundai its by webasto.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks