Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2007, 19:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

stunning works by the guys at msil.all these works point to one conclusion.the guys who did the m-800 face lift and zen classic had been out of the design team when this was done up.hands off to msil.
ram
Old 13th December 2007, 23:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys,

Doesn't it look 'too similar' to the Splash from front, and Swift from the rear?

Am a little confused by this post. All these cars are selling alongside, not replaced.
I agree that these cars are not replaced but sold alongside in Indian market. But in international market, they were meant to be replacements. Hope you got my point. . Similar thing might happen with the Alto also.
My main point was, the replacements are half a segment higher than what they replaced. Similarly for Alto and Concept A Star.

Regarding similarity, I feel that the front fenders are from Swift, the windows look a lot like Splash and the rear is from Kizashi concept. But whatever it is, it truly looks good. Congrats Maruti!
Old 14th December 2007, 02:10   #48
BANNED

As far as indian market is concerned, there's no problem in selling the older models and the newer replacements adjacently. Our public is very much different has different requirements/constraints. So, there's nothing wrong from the manufacturers in adapting this strategy. Unless, the new replacement is very exorbitantly priced without any shame. For example, Laura. Otherwise it's fine. Alto for 800, i10 for Santro, Verna for Accent, Swift sedan for Esteem. Slowly, the older model will die it's natural death and the new one will become the defacto standard.
I want to see this happening in WagonR too, when will the splash come? And can there be a good replacement for our good ol Omni? Or am I asking too much?
Old 14th December 2007, 07:16   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdesai1987 View Post
Mahindras and tatas dont really have any a-segment car like maruti-SUZUKI has.... .
Are we forgettign about the new 1 lakh ruppee car comign from Tata?
Old 14th December 2007, 07:58   #50
BHPian

Hope they put in the 1.3 Fiat engine into this.

Since the FIAT engine is very light I presume this Concept would be able to take in the FIAT engine.
Do remember they intend to sell this with a 1.6 ( dreaming 110bhp) petrol engine in the international market and hence my wish for the FIAT diesel engine.
The 1.6 Petrol and the Fiat Diesel should be priced similarly at 4.0 lakhs
Bye and wear your seat belts.
Old 14th December 2007, 08:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

A 1.6? Isnt this supposed to be an Alto replacement?
Old 14th December 2007, 10:46   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
As far as indian market is concerned, there's no problem in selling the older models and the newer replacements adjacently. Our public is very much different has different requirements/constraints. So, there's nothing wrong from the manufacturers in adapting this strategy.
The issue is mainly because the newer model always seems to the take the price tag to a much higher level leaving a void where the previous model existed. Hence, the manufacturers play a dual model strategy.
Old 14th December 2007, 11:03   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
My main point was, the replacements are half a segment higher than what they replaced. Similarly for Alto and Concept A Star.
ok. I didnt think that way!

If this grows in size compared to the Alto, where does that leave space for the Splash? hehe. Hope Maruti can get it right!
Old 14th December 2007, 12:37   #54
BHPian

some how the Name of this car "A-Star" doesnt gel with such a good looking car. IMHO
Old 14th December 2007, 13:02   #55
BHPian

The car looks awesome. Hats off to whoever designed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriny_blr View Post
some how the Name of this car "A-Star" doesnt gel with such a good looking car. IMHO
I think they wanted to show it as the 'STAR' among segment A cars, but yes the name is not as fancy as the car.
Old 14th December 2007, 15:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
stunning works by the guys at msil.all these works point to one conclusion.the guys who did the m-800 face lift and zen classic had been out of the design team when this was done up.hands off to msil.
ram
Ram, you have to consider that the designers had a lot more flexibility with this concept - a clean slate. The M-800 facelift and Zen classic were upgrades to existing designs - limiting what designers can do. They were trying to keep alive cars that were already long in the tooth.
Also MSIL engineers have been `involved' in the design from the start. they didn't do it all by themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Since the FIAT engine is very light I presume this Concept would be able to take in the FIAT engine.
Do remember they intend to sell this with a 1.6 ( dreaming 110bhp) petrol engine in the international market and hence my wish for the FIAT diesel engine.
The 1.6 Petrol and the Fiat Diesel should be priced similarly at 4.0 lakhs
Bye and wear your seat belts.
I doubt that. The A-Star will come with a newly developed, euro-5 compliant, 1-litre petrol engine for all markets. I dont know where you got the 1.6 petrol engine info from - or is that just wishful thinking?
no plans for the 1.3 diesel either. Here is what Suzuki statement said -
"Suzuki Powertrain India produces a 1.3-litre diesel engine, but SMC does not plan to use it in the new production car since the new 1.0-litre petrol engine is environmentally superior. SMC is ready to study options for small diesel engines from Suzuki Powertrain India in future."
Old 14th December 2007, 20:11   #57
BHPian

The A-Star concept looks pretty cool on paper. I wish they maintain the door handles and turn indicators as shown in the concept. I think this car will hotten the market and I am sure MSL have a winner on their hand again!!
Old 14th December 2007, 23:41   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Are we forgettign about the new 1 lakh ruppee car comign from Tata?
its still in the line... not in production... and secondly cannot be compared to a-star. can or maybe compared with reva.
Old 15th December 2007, 15:20   #59
BHPian

where are the indicators and the reverse light ?

even the side mirrors are too small
Old 15th December 2007, 20:30   #60
BHPian

Jesus Christ, just saw this thread. the car is the best car ive ever seen out of the maruti stable, they hired a new designer?
i'l eat my hair if it comes out with xenon lamps and those amazing alloys and the uber cool lights!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks