Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2007, 17:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
The new BMW 1-series has a boot (but 2-doors). Who knows - they might put 2 extra doors there and sell in India as a sedan?
It has a boot? where?

And if they add one it becomes a 3 series in essence doesn't it?

There is a five door version. That should be the preferred option for India.
Old 20th December 2007, 18:29   #17

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post

our mentality is still . . if the car is with a boot, i dont mind paying more, but if its a hatchback. . .sorry not more than 5 or 6 lacs.

that is precisely the reason, why the 1 series will not sell

cheers,
i see no reason why that is a bad thing...if you get a midsize sedan for the same price,i would anyday opt for the sedan.
Old 20th December 2007, 18:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
It has a boot? where?
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...eriesfront.jpg
Old 20th December 2007, 18:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Yup....that's the coupe though. Sedan prototypes were cold weather testing in NA.

But that brings me to a point.. why not differentiate between the 3 series and the 1 by launching the coupe at 18 - 22L? Great alternative for young professionals who can afford a camry \ accord V6 and don't care for rear two seats. Build brand loyalty at a lower price and then propel potential customers towards the 3 series (By the looks of things the rupee will acheive parity with dollar by then! ) And BMW, while you're at it how about plonking the 3.0L Twin Turbo that should be good for atleast 285hp detuned.

Last edited by vcash : 20th December 2007 at 18:55.
Old 20th December 2007, 19:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
It has a boot? where?
Yes they do have, the car we are talking about is the BMW 1 series coupé I guess. Here is a pic I took from Frankfurt motor show showing its boot.
Old 20th December 2007, 23:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
I DONT THINK SO

the ACI expects it at a range of 17-22 lacs
and even i feel that would be the right price as it has to compete with the vw beetle and mini cooper and also the A-class which are avilable in this range
Check the BMW UK prices for 320d and 123d (BMW UK : Homepage) and then while considering the 320d price of 32 laks INR, calculate the cost of 123d in India. I am sure you reach a 25+ lak figure.
Old 21st December 2007, 00:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Check the BMW UK prices for 320d and 123d (BMW UK : Homepage) and then while considering the 320d price of 32 laks INR, calculate the cost of 123d in India. I am sure you reach a 25+ lak figure.
oh dear

i guess you are right but in that case i doubt this car would make sense to buy
but the prices mentioned are with registration and everything maybe if BMW gets it as a CBU it will be a bit cheaper and if the number comes down from 25+ to 22-23 it will still be 10 lacs cheaper than the 3 series

Last edited by AMATMO : 21st December 2007 at 00:11.
Old 21st December 2007, 00:15   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
because people arent gonna pay above 10lacs for a hatch be it diesel or not. atleast most people.
What is the problem for a hatch?It is all misconception.Skoda,Accent viva they are semi hatch.Still people are buying.Skoda is more than 10lacs.I think if the car is really good and if it is worth money in India even it is hatch people will buy.Anyway india is changing.
Old 21st December 2007, 00:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
one should read the thread 'has skoda fabia bookings started' for an answer to this thread.

our mentality is still . . if the car is with a boot, i dont mind paying more, but if its a hatchback. . .sorry not more than 5 or 6 lacs.

that is precisely the reason, why the 1 series will not sell

cheers,

Well the Fabia is a Skoda and the 1-series is a BMW. Definitely the later has a market. On top of it the 1-series is a small Rear driven coupe/hatch/sedan with its obvious charms.

Here the "BMW" is the key.
Old 21st December 2007, 02:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
i hope someday we will get 'luxury' without the 'size' baggage in India.
Why would you pay tonnes of money on a hatch back no matter how much luxurious it is? Luxury and compact do not go hand in hand, luxury tag changes expectations. Thats pretty much how the rest of the world thinks too, not just Indians. Merc C coupe and BMW hatch didn't sell well in US precisely because of this. BMW now has a 1 with boot for US market.
Old 21st December 2007, 02:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
And BMW, while you're at it how about plonking the 3.0L Twin Turbo that should be good for atleast 285hp detuned.
BMW already did that in the form of 135Ci which will be released in US next year. The same engine that propels the 335 coupe placed in a much smaller and lighter car! BMW claimed that 0-60 will be done in under 4.8 sec and 60 - 100 in 5 seconds (?) in 5th gear. Edmunds.com thinks that both BMW is being conservative and actual figures would be much more appealing.
Old 21st December 2007, 03:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I dont consider the 1 series a proper BMW just like how I dont consider the A Class a proper Mercedes. Besides with its landed cost as a CBU id rather get a 3 series.
Old 21st December 2007, 04:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Somehow I dont consider the 1 series a proper BMW just like how I dont consider the A Class a proper Mercedes. Besides with its landed cost as a CBU id rather get a 3 series.
I would agree about the A-Class but the BMW 1-series is close in DNA to the E30 BMW-3series, its a pleasure to drive and chuck around.
Old 21st December 2007, 08:06   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
BMW already did that in the form of 135Ci which will be released in US next year. The same engine that propels the 335 coupe placed in a much smaller and lighter car! BMW claimed that 0-60 will be done in under 4.8 sec and 60 - 100 in 5 seconds (?) in 5th gear. Edmunds.com thinks that both BMW is being conservative and actual figures would be much more appealing.
Yes Yes I know - Thats why the reference. I was hoping we could get the 135 in India . I am also thinking that this might be my next car in the states but it's a wee bit over-priced at $48K fully loaded.
Old 21st December 2007, 23:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Yup....that's the coupe though. Sedan prototypes were cold weather testing in NA.

But that brings me to a point.. why not differentiate between the 3 series and the 1 by launching the coupe at 18 - 22L? Great alternative for young professionals who can afford a camry \ accord V6 and don't care for rear two seats. Build brand loyalty at a lower price and then propel potential customers towards the 3 series (By the looks of things the rupee will acheive parity with dollar by then! ) And BMW, while you're at it how about plonking the 3.0L Twin Turbo that should be good for atleast 285hp detuned.
Huh. thanks for the pics. I didn't know there was a version with a boot. Heck, then they should launch that! And have the five door hatch as an option for those who want five doors.

I don't know about others but I personally wouldn't mind stepping into the BMW family with a hatch even if I have to `downgrade' from a proper sedan. Price is key. If people can consider a Laura for 18 lakhs, there will be some who will pay a little more for the BMW brand even if its a hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Why would you pay tonnes of money on a hatch back no matter how much luxurious it is? Luxury and compact do not go hand in hand, luxury tag changes expectations. Thats pretty much how the rest of the world thinks too, not just Indians. Merc C coupe and BMW hatch didn't sell well in US precisely because of this. BMW now has a 1 with boot for US market.
Luxury and compact do go hand in hand. Take the Mini Cooper for example. Those are expensive machines, going up to $26,000 US. You can get a nicely loaded Accord for that much in the US.
Some people want luxury but not necessarily with size. Especially in an urban environment. I read a review of the Mini Cooper S and the reviewer just loved the size in NYC. Parking and maneuvering were a breeze. The ultimate city car is what he called it.

On our roads apart from the obvious advantages a small car presents a small target . I would love a luxury hatch, compact car.

As far as the US not taking to these cars is concerned - they've always loved size. Its only now, with fuel prices where they are, is the US beginning to appreciate hatchbacks. Honda Fit sales in the US being a good example of this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks