Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2007, 12:19   #1
BHPian

Paid 32 lakh and got a lemon (320d)

Guys, read this person's story over his new 'Indian' BMW 320D...

Bought a new bmw 320d from Bird Automotive in Gurgaon, NCR brand new. ever since the first day it started giving problems. We took it to the dealer and they got deffencive. Well all hell broke loose as the front wheel (left) came out while driving due to manufacturing defect. The things got out of hand as the blame game started that we had installed xenon lamps in the car but to their surprise the same suspension problem happened with their demo car. So after 2 months they decided to change the complete front end. Well to cut the story short the car started giving numerous problems i.e the air conditioner compressor burnt while driving and the front passanger seat motor burnt. Now we are told that the warranty has been cancelled on this car. Now this is comming straight from BMW India. We are in India due to work and do not know the legal system that well, to the advantage of BMW.
If anyone knows how to go about this would be helpful
again "never buy BMW in India". Paid 32 lack and got a lemon

never BUY BMW IN INDIA

source here --> forum on autocarindia

Mods pls delete if similar thread exists.
Old 20th December 2007, 12:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why would BMW India void the warranty on the car? They are liable to replace whatever, however many times if within warranty period. Are you sure it's not the dealer that is feeding you stories? I know many of these authorised foreign manufacturer dealers are quite incompetent. Maybe they are just trying to create safe zone for themselves, to hide their incompetency and look good in front of BMW India.
Old 20th December 2007, 12:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

BMW survives on pretence,
BENZ lives like a LEGEND,
Old 20th December 2007, 12:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

How can they cancel the warranty just like that?
Its hard to believe that a BMW gives such problems within warranty period?
Old 20th December 2007, 12:53   #5
BHPian

seems another person intrugued the dealer with this issue and he got answer that since the headlights were changed (to Xenon), it messed up with the electricals and caused further problmes..the reason why BMW cancalled warranty on that car.

"Ummmm,
I am looking to buying a BMW 325i and would like to get to the bottom of this before i make the plunge.
I called Bird and the guy there told me that you had out in new wheels and thats what messed up the suspension or whatever.
He also said changing the lights messed up the electricals and that caused further problems and thats why they cancelled warranty.
He also says he has pictures to prove his point.
Now I am stuck as to whom to believe.But for the moment try contacting one of the Car shows in India and see if they would like to do your story.
Also there is a Hindi news channel that deals with customer grievances and they could probably help you out although I dont know the exact same.
Dont leave it at this, follow it up so that in case they have been unjust to you they should get a reputation for this. Also try to pitch this to Benz india , maybe they could help out in defaming their rival.
There was another compla"
Old 20th December 2007, 13:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

So, This is India!! You install a xenon, and loose on warranties!! and the suspension cant take the Xenons in a BMW!! electricals failing is understandable though since the wires and fuses come in from China
Old 20th December 2007, 13:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

wow- now BMW as well. Unless this is the TD car that ws sold, and the dealer is trying hard not to let this go to the company hence saying anything possible. I mean - how will punctures prove a defective electrical system?
Old 20th December 2007, 13:32   #8
BHPian

seems a bit farfetched if you ask me. BTW where did this article appear?
Old 20th December 2007, 13:33   #9
BHPian

the bad suspension setup must have eaten up the yoko run-flat tyres...cost of one tyre quoted to him was 24,000 INR
Old 20th December 2007, 13:34   #10
BHPian

Personally, I find the description of "faults" and "problems" very sketchy. What were the modifications done, if any? What were the un-connected problems? Where were the modifications done, if outside the BMW dealer? What is the scope of changing the "complete front end"? There are too many questions as to how the car was used?

Hold on... I am trying to figure out if the problems are genuine at all?! I am not trying to say that BMW is right or the person who is raising concern is at fault.
Old 20th December 2007, 13:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
seems a bit farfetched if you ask me. BTW where did this article appear?
Old 20th December 2007, 13:42   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHA View Post
Personally, I find the description of "faults" and "problems" very sketchy. What were the modifications done, if any? What were the un-connected problems? Where were the modifications done, if outside the BMW dealer? What is the scope of changing the "complete front end"? There are too many questions as to how the car was used?

Hold on... I am trying to figure out if the problems are genuine at all?! I am not trying to say that BMW is right or the person who is raising concern is at fault.
i agree, there is something fishy here. Hope its not a dirty game being played by the competition. I refuse to believe that a dealer could blame the front wheel problem on the xenon, there is np connection btwn the two so even if the dealer was playing the blame game he could come up with a better excuse
Old 20th December 2007, 14:35   #13
BHPian

this is not the first time i heard complains about BMW. My boss bought brand new 7 series and with in a week there was huge cut in front tour...and BMW refused to take the responsibility...we got all the tyres replaced from market.

later on the boss's driver assumed that the original tyre were not right for our kind of climate...
Old 20th December 2007, 14:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
and with in a week there was huge cut in front tour...
I'm sorry, but what's a front "tour"?
Old 20th December 2007, 14:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakaaaaasss View Post
Guys, read this person's story over his new 'Indian' BMW 320D...

Bought a new bmw 320d from Bird Automotive in Gurgaon, NCR brand new. ever since the first day it started giving problems. We took it to the dealer and they got deffencive. Well all hell broke loose as the front wheel (left) came out while driving due to manufacturing defect. The things got out of hand as the blame game started that we had installed xenon lamps in the car but to their surprise the same suspension problem happened with their demo car. So after 2 months they decided to change the complete front end. Well to cut the story short the car started giving numerous problems i.e the air conditioner compressor burnt while driving and the front passanger seat motor burnt. Now we are told that the warranty has been cancelled on this car. Now this is comming straight from BMW India. We are in India due to work and do not know the legal system that well, to the advantage of BMW.
If anyone knows how to go about this would be helpful
again "never buy BMW in India". Paid 32 lack and got a lemon

never BUY BMW IN INDIA

Mods pls delete if similar thread exists.
get out!!!! i don't believe this..how come one of the most professional majors in their domain behave so un-professionally... as of me.. i would have them legally sued...32 lacs is not a small amount of money..if need be i would spend another 2 lacs but manage to get out a lifelong warranty from the bmw for this unethical treatment...

Last edited by kryptik83 : 20th December 2007 at 14:56. Reason: grammatical errors :)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed