Team-BHP - Swift Sedan - Opinons
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Swift Sedan - Opinons (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/33634-swift-sedan-opinons-3.html)

@Mods: Shouldn't this thread be merged with http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sive-pics.html?

Quote:

Originally Posted by raajks (Post 672545)
It is the same statergy used by FIAT and GM as welll... I dont see a major issue with that......

Palio + Boot == Petra
Punto + Boot == Linea
Aveo - Boot == UVA
Optra - Boot == CRV

I guess Suzuki wants to cash in on the mindset of Indian Public who prefer a Sedan to a Hatch.

I am planning to chop off my Optra's boot to get a Honda. I am sure you meant SRV and not CRV

Well what the author has written is not entirely acceptable.

What is Honda City? A version sold in USA/Canada, UK and northern Europe?

Waht is Tata Indigo? A car based on the famous Tata Magnum car?

The Honda city is, as we all know, a 3 box version of Honda Fit.
And Honda Fit is a small car. Fit was designed as hatchback and not a full fledged sedan.

same is the case with Tata Indigo. So its not maruti alone. And the swift sedan is better looking then both of the above mentioned cars.

In an interview wtih OD or some other( I dont remember excatly) mag, The project leader for swift said that at some point of time the swift platform can be used to make a new sedan car.

I feel that what Maruti is doing/has done with swift is not a wrong thing and in fact I respect Maruti making a move like this.

I feel that Renault is the real one to take us for granted. Not suzuki.

The presence of the swift is enough to confirm that maruti is not joker.

And those screaming "what Maruti is doing?" just go and buy a merc or may be rolls royce. Both of them are the best as 3 box cars.

Maruti Esteem was about affordable 3 box car and swift has to replace ( though with a different name) Esteem, so maruti/Suzuki has to cut corners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram (Post 672326)
At a time when India is becoming the automotive design hub of the world -- when full-fledged automotive design engineering is done (so cost-effectively) in India -- when we harbor aspirations of buying the one-time prestigeous Jaguar and Land-Rover brands, lock, stock, barrel and factories; when Indian literati intellect-out a car design as a work of art, when they talk of personality and character in web-based fora ...
...Why must we suffer one more cost-cutting exercise of growing sedan sheetmetal on a hatch econobox, albeit Maruti-Suzuki's?

Well said! BUT FAR FROM CORRECT!

India is becoming the design hub of the world?
:eek: When did that happen? Which all international companies are having their design centres in India? Which all 'Indian designed' cars are we aware of? Does that percentage come to any signicant level in the global scenario?

And the segment in consideration now- Consists of Mahindra Renault Logan, Hyundai Accent, Ford ikon, Maruti Suzuki esteem and TATA Indigo

Mahindra Logan was designed to be the cheapest option available in Europe. The same car is presented to us with 'beige interiors' claiming it to be the most luxurious in the segment. Yes, people want it, let them buy it.

Ford ikon is based on the mark 5 fiesta hatch that was introduced in 1999. Hyundai accent(2nd generation) available in india came out in 2000. All these models are well past their intended life cycles, and continue in production in India, when they have been replaced in all their 'modern' markets.

Even the TATA indigo is going to be a 6 year old design, which was also a boot added to the Indica platform.

In a segment where all the options are outdated, where pricing is the crucial key, manufacturers do resort to cost-cutting exercises. If they can bring a sedan at lower prices than competition, so be it. There will be people wanting it!

Why should people suffer because of this?
Is Maruti forcing people to buy it? There will be people wanting the car, let them buy it. Others can stay away from it, and buy the competition which offers the same in a different package.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSA (Post 672313)
No, the shame should be on us the buyers, for acceptng it.

Sorry Sir. Are you ashamed of the choices/compromises you have to make in your life? I think we should allow everyone the liberty to choose what they fancy, without their having any shame/guilt associated with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 672933)
Sorry Sir. Are you ashamed of the choices/compromises you have to make in your life? I think we should allow everyone the liberty to choose what they fancy, without their having any shame/guilt associated with it.

Some people still consider a sedan superior to a hatch and are willing to pay that little extra for the boot. The Swift Sedan is aimed at such people. Personally I think it looks a bit wierd and akward like most designs like this are though I dont think Suzuki should be blamed, infact companies like Tata and Suzuki should be praised for offering a product that consumers want and accept rather than forcing them to buy something they dont really want. We have enough competition in our market for a consumer to be able to switch brands if he or she isnt satisfied.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajtheindian (Post 671978)
Suzuki is not an exception, You may see the other manufatcurs also does the same thing, Right from Honda City, Ford IKON, Ford Fiesta, to Tata Indica/Indigo.
Some of the designs came out better than their Hatch version. So I hope swift will do the same.

Nothing wrong with this trend. Its proven that Indians love and are willing to pay more for a 'car with a boot', since its a 'big car' So manufacturers are playing the field. Consider the non booted 'big cars', chevy srv, even though a good product, failed to make inroads, because Indians dont want to pay 'big money' for a 'car without a boot'. However these quick booted jobs esp the honda city (almost a jazz with a boot), look quite ugly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 672297)
Add the Ford Ikon to the list as well. Personally, i feel the sedan in this case looked more complete than the hatch.

add the suzuki swift ---> maruti esteem. The original suzuki swift was sold as a hatch back world over.

Saw on the box. Esteem production stopped. Swift Saloon to replace it. So folks all this discussion is now somewhat academic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajtheindian (Post 671978)
Suzuki is not an exception, You may see the other manufatcurs also does the same thing, Right from Honda City, Ford IKON, Ford Fiesta, to Tata Indica/Indigo.

Well said. That reminds me of my pet peev (and I am digressing now). The desi manufacturers are hell bent on getting us a bad (sometimes, old) deal all the time. The OHC was actually a Civic but then they launched the Fit/Jazz as the NHC and now Civic is priced much higher. I guess it can be a lot fairer. The new Zen estillo is also a couple of generations old m-Wagon from Japan. Ridiculous!

Another thing that cheeses me off is the reluctance to sunset the models. The Octy is an example, accent is another, Santro one more, m800, its an endless list. We are getting used to paying premium for the cars that are actually replacemenrs! The Brits pay GBP 800 less for the New Mondeo but may be in India, the new Mondeo would have been launched as new model altogether!!

Anyways, all said and done, the Swift sedan may not be a character assassination (what with a bangle-butt and a flowing C pillar etc) but will need to see it in the flesh to be sure. Can go either way, really.

Of this lot of obsolete models, I can see why the M800 survives. To be really stripped down to the basics (and even beyond!) to compete with the Tata 1L. Overall I must say that MS have been more honest that the others in killing off models.

The others are just public con tricks. Santro has probably been kept alive to improve (successfully) the chances for the COTY for i10.

Quote:

The others are just public con tricks. Santro has probably been kept alive to improve (successfully) the chances for the COTY for i10.
How will keeping Santro in the line up help i10 become the Car of the year.

Sticking to the sedan, I doubt Maruti will offer any diesel option on it.

The idea is to make available an entry level sedan, by replacing a model which was terribly outdated (read as Esteem). I fail to understand why some are making a hue and cry out of it, by discussing more about the looks (especially: the rear) of the car…The moment anyone showcases it on the forum as “My latest possession: SWIFT SEDAN” I am sure that these “some” calling the car ugly or whatever will be the first ones to praise the owner, and the car as well.lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSA (Post 674011)
How will keeping Santro in the line up help i10 become the Car of the year.

Gives the veneer of a new car more gloss. Critics may not look that favourably at 'New Santro'.