Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2008, 21:26   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
... he clearly mentioned he may stay for about 5 years. because they could not find a successor to him. he admitted that it is one of his failures.
That is brutally honest, frank and realistic. I always rate a good leader not by his success or mere institution building capability, but also with reference to his ability to find a worthy successor to himself.

THis applies equally to all walks of life - corporates, businesses, sovereign countries, clubs, political parties, etc.

Just think of it - all developed countries have a good means of finding a successor to their chief executive and / or head of government. All banana republics have chief executive cum head of government who is frightened of having a succession plan.
Old 18th January 2008, 22:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

It is better to retire when the grass is green i.e., when every thing is OK rather than wait till the end and then take a decision.
Old 23rd January 2008, 17:16   #18
BHPian

Well there is also the question of his advancing age.I agree he is no spring chicken but he has his faculty still at the age of 70.But why take the risk of having the man at the helm as old as he is.I think he should begin the retirement process as soon as he finds a suitable sucessor.
Old 24th January 2008, 12:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorNirvana View Post
I don't think he will retire so early.
Well, he has to start this process of handover now. It may take a couple of years for is successor to do his job. Otherwise, it should not so happen that he wants to handover and do not find the successor.
Old 24th January 2008, 13:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Well, he has to start this process of handover now. It may take a couple of years for is successor to do his job. Otherwise, it should not so happen that he wants to handover and do not find the successor.
The question is will he find a successor as great as himself, who will take the company forward and lead the company to bigger successes and bigger milestones?
Old 24th January 2008, 16:00   #21
BHPian

Is there anyone from the Tata empire earmarked to take over.I mean there has to be some media speculation on this topic.
Old 24th January 2008, 17:34   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalysm76 View Post
Is there anyone from the Tata empire earmarked to take over.I mean there has to be some media speculation on this topic.

You'd be surprised if you read this article.

A quote from there:
Quote:
The most important variable being the possibility that his son-in-law, Noel, may soon be taking over Ratan Tata's mantle
. The "he" mentioned is Pallonji Mistry
Old 24th January 2008, 21:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
It is better to retire when the grass is green i.e., when every thing is OK rather than wait till the end and then take a decision.
I completely disagree, that is true for sports persons. But not true for corporate leaders.

Corporate leaders have to find a worthy successor, or else the empire they have built may be lost.

They put in hard work and passion to take it to a new high. That passion wont allow them to quit when the grass is green.

On a lighter note, they are the ones who have a fat stake in their company. They dont want to see it dwindle.
Old 24th January 2008, 21:26   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The "he" mentioned is Pallonji Mistry
He owns the majority stake in Tata group. I have heard a lot about his down to earth attitude and how even though being a majority stake holder, he never interfered with running of the Tata group. I reiterate "I heard".
Old 25th January 2008, 13:14   #25
BHPian

Ratan Tata does not own a majority stake in the Tata group ,known as Tata and sons.His family owns only 3% of the company.66% of the stake in the company is held by Tata set up charitable organizations.Atleast that's what I heard.
Old 25th January 2008, 13:48   #26
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalysm76 View Post
Ratan Tata does not own a majority stake in the Tata group ,known as Tata and sons.His family owns only 3% of the company.66% of the stake in the company is held by Tata set up charitable organizations.Atleast that's what I heard.
Ratan Tata and the Tata family may not be holding too much in Tata Sons or other group companies. However they do have management control as well as entitlement to majority voting rights in Tata Sona through a maze of trusts which are controlled by them. It is quite an opaque structure (in the same way as most 'Bania' promoters (Bajaj's/ Birla's/ Ambani's, Ruia's and many more) maintain.
Old 25th January 2008, 18:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
You'd be surprised if you read this article.

A quote from there: . The "he" mentioned is Pallonji Mistry
In that case, who will be the ideal successor to Ratan TATA, Cyrus Mistry? who is son of pallonji Mistry and currently heading Shapoorji Pallonji.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks