Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2008, 21:39   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
isnt the term gora a little rude? I mean we wouldnt like to be refferred to as a Darkie like in the days of the Raj now would we?
Bravo!

Before we accuse the world outside of stereotypicalism, let us rise above it first.
Old 27th January 2008, 21:55   #77
Senior - BHPian

We think we treat our elders nicely. We think we treat our women with respect. But the realities are far from what we think. The innumerable dowry deaths/harassment, property disputes leading to murders, women molested on roads, offices, homes etc., everyone trying to jostle for space not even stopping & giving way for an elderly or handicapped person. I think that is rude.

Because the people in the west take a decision based on emotions, we say they do not have morals/family values, whereas we beat, flog & ill treat our women & still want them to stay with us. Is that the family value we are famous for ?

Think about that.

just my .02, no offence to anyone.
Old 27th January 2008, 22:29   #78
Senior - BHPian

Well said Raul!
There is just too much of back-patting going on here!
And complete inability/unwillingness to benchmark ourselves against other countries/societies.
Old 28th January 2008, 03:54   #79
BHPian

Alright my posts need some further explanation (sorry for going off topic, this is the last one).

Alright I realize I have been patting our backs, but I have never said or believe we have no problems at all we certainly have a lot of problems and their acceptance is a first step to progress. But all i have seen people do is put ourselves down, there is a difference between accepting our faults and just pointing fingers and whining about how bad this country is. I would like to say again, I never said we are perfect and we have a lot of work to do, but it would be nice to feel proud about the good things we have.

You have given example of how 'average' American thinks you are a Mexican. Guess what? Same thing happens here. Here an 'average' Indian thinks that every white skinned foreigner is an American. I am telling this from my first hand experience. And we all know how we treat foreign tourists in our country.

Did you read the previous posts? I already commented on this. America is a developed country, it is a melting pot, there are people from all countries here especially in Los Angeles. It is very easy to meet people from different cultures and interact with them...hell I can even tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese and Korean people now just from their features (with a little tutoring from korean friends ofcourse) How many people from different countries live in India? hence several people do not have the opportunity to experience firsthand the different cultures. yes several times foreign tourists are not treated well and they deserve to. But what about the Sikhs shot in America because some ignorant people thought they were "middle eastern terrorists", what about the racial slurs that were openly yelled out at Arshad Warsi in England. We all have flaws, please don't put down your own country.

Ever watch a bollywood movie. People with disabilities like stammering/physical handicaps" are made fun of. Very good morals I must say.
The entire audience laughs when a certain character stammers on the screen.

Most of the govt offices are inaccessible to people with disabilities.

The message is clear, if you are not able bodied and fit, go die.

when I went out of this country for the first time, what struck me was not the development or roads or infrastructure, it was the "Value of Human life". The principle that every human being, whether he/she has legs or not, has the right to access every public building, every shopping mall.

I agree with you a 100%, there is absolutely no excuse for that and we definitely are at fault there. Western countries do seem to treat people with handicaps pretty good. But if you ever go see a standup comic or watch a few late night cartoons on comedy central you will see its "alright" to make cruel handicap jokes here and call them "cripple" on national television. or its okay to call someone poor to their face. Any child with a handicap, a stuttering problem or any other disability is labeled a "freak" here in schools. (similar things might happen in schools in India also, but from my first hand experince it is way worse in America). They may have masked their "shortcomings" with other things, but they are not perfect either. I realize India has not even taken the step to make public and government places handicap accessible and that is indeed far behind what they have !!!

To close this post all i am saying is I am not racist, but I am sick of people putting the western world on a pedestal and looking down at ourselves, now that is certainly an attitude that will not get us anywhere. I have seen several people point out our own shortcomings (and yes i completely agree we have MANY MANY) but no one took pride in the positive things we have. There always has to be a balance, blind love for your own country and putting it on a false pedestal is indeed foolish and will not get you anywhere (that is not what i was doing, i do accept our flaws) but putting your own country down and not seeing its accomplishments is foolish also. One more shortcoming that we have and needs mention is that we just talk about whats wrong but no one wants to do anything about it...
Old 28th January 2008, 10:06   #80
Senior - BHPian

I think you have taken the discussion in this thread in the wrong spirit. This isnt an attack on India. Noone said India is an inferior country. India like every single country has its own set of problems and is far from perfect.

Its better for us to discuss our problems and try to find a solution than to have a false sence of superiority and try to ignore our problems.
Old 28th January 2008, 10:08   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I think you have taken the discussion in this thread in the wrong spirit. This isnt an attack on India. Noone said India is an inferior country. India like every single country has its own set of problems and is far from perfect.

Its better for us to discuss our problems and try to find a solution than to have a false sence of superiority and try to ignore our problems.
I agree....I think its best at this point for all of us to agree to disagree.

I meant no offense to anyone in this thread and none taken by me.

I really would like to discuss our problems and take some action, any suggestions?
Old 28th January 2008, 13:46   #82
BHPian

We may be a third world country by their definition but I think we are doing pretty well.Of course the world will be jealous if an Indian company launches -say a SUV like the Sumo Grande or a Small car like the Nano for a fraction of what a similar car would cost in the west.What the Tata's have done is no small feat regardless of country.I would love to see the west pull off what Ratan Tata did despite their Industrail and engineering superiority.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks