Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2008, 09:54   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
No, the whole of India does excepting a few.
I'm in the minority who think otherwise - would never like to go back to a MT again.
Old 28th March 2008, 11:02   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
I'm in the minority who think otherwise - would never like to go back to a MT again.
Count me in cheers:.

I have dumped Verna VGT for Santro auto and waiting for auto Captiva/ Outlander/ Scorpio- would have loved if Safari was available with an auto tranny and if anything is available in the budget- will go for it- but definitely wont go back to MT.
Old 28th March 2008, 12:01   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
No, the whole of India does excepting a few.
Thats because a majority of Indians haven't experienced an automatic yet. Our bumper-to-bumper driving conditions are most suited to the convenient slushboxes. Save for a handful of enthusiasts who prefer a manual, automatics will definitely become more popular with time. Increased availability (across models) and localisation (reduced costs) will be the catalyst.
Old 28th March 2008, 16:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
I think he is ref to an AT where I dont think thats essential driving technique?

What I do is at expected long waits I shift to P and relieve my leg from the brakes.
Thank you for coming to my rescue deepak .
Vasudeva, it is normal when driving an automatic, to keep the brake peddle pressed at red lights. That is what the entire western world does. My point was that I make the extra effort to shift to neutral. By long halt I mean a red light with a 2-3 minute stop. Obviously if the car is going to be stationary for 10-20-30 minutes or more, switching the engine off is the ultimate fuel saving technique.
Old 29th March 2008, 16:53   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

When I initially started driving automatics, I would move the gear selector to neutral when I was stopped at lights although just holding the brakes down is enough in an automatic. Based on my limited knowledge of automatics, I thought it will be better for the transmission to be in neutral than be in drive with the brakes pressed.

Eventually I did more research on automatics and found out that there is no direct mechanical linkage between the engine and the drive shaft in an automatic transmission. The power transmission happens thorugh a fluid with the Torque converter. This is the reason why automtics are more durable and preferred in heavy duty towing conditions. If you look at most western manufacturers the tow ratings of the automatic transmission models will always be higher than the manual ones.

In India we somehow have the perception that automatics are not as durable as manuals for indian conditions.
Old 29th March 2008, 19:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

11.5 in city driving is pretty good. I get 12 on my WagonR manual with AC on!
I think I shall go for an automatic when I change my WagonR in the next year or so. What other B segment cars have automatic tranny? I know that the WagonR has one, but I read somewhere that its mileage figures are atrocious.

Last edited by vnabhi : 29th March 2008 at 19:03. Reason: Forgot word
Old 29th March 2008, 21:49   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Thank you for coming to my rescue deepak .
Vasudeva, it is normal when driving an automatic, to keep the brake peddle pressed at red lights. That is what the entire western world does.
Actually, quite a few of us put the handbrake on, and the gear in N, just to relax until the lights change.

One could argue forever the realative fuel savings (a friend of mine swears it makes a difference) against wear on the selector mechanism, etc etc. I just go for the relaxation thing, expecially in London traffic!
Old 30th March 2008, 02:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Our bumper-to-bumper driving conditions are most suited to the convenient slushboxes.
Agreed, 100%. The constant 1st-2nd-neutral in the rush-hour crawl (how's that for an oxymoron??!!) has left me wishing I could flip a switch and turn my gearbox into an auto for that period of time.
Having said that, there is no substitute for the feel of working your way up/down the gears. I don't see myself going the auto route anytime in the near or distant future
Old 30th March 2008, 08:09   #39
BHPian

^ yes, i wish the Lancer triptronics version was still available..
Old 30th March 2008, 23:28   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Count me in cheers:.

I have dumped Verna VGT for Santro auto and waiting for auto Captiva/ Outlander/ Scorpio- would have loved if Safari was available with an auto tranny and if anything is available in the budget- will go for it- but definitely wont go back to MT.
I agree with you guys - took an year - after shifting back from the USA - before I got the deal I wanted - on the corolla AT
Short term review coming up shortly

Would love an auto Safari myself or even an Auto SX4 - but unfortunately that is not happening anytime soon
My next car - whenever that is -and thats possibly a few years away would be an auto also
Old 1st April 2008, 09:24   #41
BANNED

Spotted yesterday evening between the Sriperumbudur and Ranipet toll plazas on NH4:

i10 with "Auto" badge where it normally says Magna + 1.2 badge on the fender where it normally says iRDE or something similar.

i10 with Magna badge at the rear + 1.2 badge on the fender

Both cars had TN 21 red temp plates and were driven by Hyundai factory drivers who were caning the cars. Boy, were they fast!
Old 1st April 2008, 10:52   #42
BHPian

What is this 1.2 thing? All I know is that i10 also sports 1.1 litre engine. Are they changing the engine too.
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:48   #43

Check out Santro GLS AT - Click Here
Old 9th April 2008, 15:13   #44
BHPian

Ground clearance for AT

SANTRO
DIMENSIONS
Ground Clearance (mm) 164 (M/T) 146 (A/T)
Kerb Weight (Kg) 854(M/T) 868(A/T)

Why is the ground clearance different for Automatic and Manual transmission versions?
Old 9th April 2008, 17:01   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_daytona View Post
SANTRO
DIMENSIONS
Ground Clearance (mm) 164 (M/T) 146 (A/T)
Kerb Weight (Kg) 854(M/T) 868(A/T)

Why is the ground clearance different for Automatic and Manual transmission versions?
Its the export model with lower ground clearance. Since the auto tranny sales are so low in India, they havent bothered tweaking the ground cleareance of Hyundai in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks