Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2008, 13:13   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I remember a funny instance where one of my ex colleagues (boss) was going out with his subordinate for a meeting. Apparently, the subordinate kept the meeting material on the front seat and sat behind (in corrolla) with the boss driving, next day onwards, his boss never took him for any meetings
Man! That was quite rude of the subordinate!

Anyways, my take on this topic........
I normally like to sit in front if someone else is driving because:
1. I feel more involved in the journey.
2. A/C! I overheat fast so need cooling!
3. (Sometime) 3 plus people at the back, so I have the front all to myself!
4. I want to.... Whenever my parents went on road trips when I was small, I used to get very bored at the back, and used to wait for the time when I could sit in front! Even now when I go home, I get bored as I have to sit at the back with my parents in front.
5. Memorising routes. If I'm in a new city/area, I have to be in front so as to remember the roads and routes I pass. I find it difficult to do this sitting at the back. I ideally like to drive with someone guiding me in a new area, as I this way I remember the roads/route in 1 or max 2 drives. If I'm at the back, I need to go through the route more number of times before I memorise it. I guess this is linked to my first point.

The reasons I sit at the back:
1. A friend is with me and a driver is driving.
2. I'm tired and sleepy. Dad instilled highways driving lessons into me at a young age, and one of them is NEVER sleep at the passenger seat besides the driver.
3. I'm tired and need to de-stress. (being in the front can be stressful if the driver is .......er......spirited)
4. General timepass...... take the time to sightsee!

I feel most people sit at the back as it gives a sense of prestige, and (mainly for women) a sense of security if the driver is new.

Last edited by DriverR : 6th March 2008 at 13:20.
Old 6th March 2008, 14:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

IMO, it has just become a way of life for owners/passengers to be seen in the back seat. Forget India, lets take chauffeur driven cars abroad. Passengers generally sit at the back, for a variety of reasons - to get noticed, to get work done, to show who is boss or just because everyone else does it.

Certain taxi-wallas in UAE do not like their male passengers sitting at the back if they are alone. Their reasoning...dont even ask!

Of course, many of us are fascinated with the back-seat (coupled with a sturdy suspension) for a variety of other reasons.
Old 6th March 2008, 15:01   #48
BHPian

front it is for me

IMO - front seat is best - for all reasons shared above and a few more:

because of wind shield rake angle - rear passenger can see much less from front screen than front seat passenger - in the front you get better view of both sides of road and can read road signs when they get closer as well - if you at the rear you can see road signs when they are far off - as they come near they disappear behind the RVM or head rests or the hood.

head-rests, B and C-pillar design imply smaller rear windows - mean only place you can look is at right angles to the direction you are driving - meaning by the time you see any landmarks they are gone - also its nauseating to keep seeing stuff whiz past you without you recognizing anything

Apart from this - there are reasons to sit behind - particularly in cabs

Front seats have weird stuff lying around - including girlie magazines, pimp phone cards, drivers tiffins, newspapers and what not
also in older cabs (particularly padminis and ambys) you can feel a hot air wave coming from under the dash (pretty irritating)
Old 6th March 2008, 15:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

Only 2 reasons, I would be in the back-seat:

1. I have confidence in the driver (most imp)
2. Dont want to do any "co-driving" (relax in the rear - dont like to sleep in the co-driver seat)
Old 6th March 2008, 15:07   #50
jat
BHPian

I always sit in the front (the papers and computer goes to the back seat).

I think, this pychology has come from horse drawn coaches. The driver (coachman) used to be outside while people were in the back seat. When the cars started replacing those coaches, the back seat was again more comfortable than the front seats. This has led to the pychology of back seat being used for owners.

Also, cars at that time was considered a high tech stuff and many of the travels did not how to open doors. Therefore the driver had to open doors for them. And people were travelling in twos or threes. This way they could keep on chatting without twisting their neck.

This has led to the convention of back seat use indicating authority.
Old 6th March 2008, 15:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In the rare occasion that I travel with my driver, I always sit on the front passenger seat. Why this obsession with the back seat? Prestige? “Sethia”?
One of the partners in our firm has an Accord - but makes it a point to sit in the front - with his chauffeur.

As to why the others sit at the back -

1. Prestige issue - clearly pointed out by many
2. Leg room may not be an issue - looking at the average height of Indians, but total room is more at the back
3. A bit more privacy
Old 6th March 2008, 15:27   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In the rare occasion that I travel with my driver, I always sit on the front passenger seat. Why this obsession with the back seat? Prestige? “Sethia”?
Ditto, especially a car like Crv, front seat are so much more comfy. Yes its the Prestige thingie lol.
Old 6th March 2008, 16:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Think about this for a moment;

• The front passenger seat offers substantially more leg, shoulder and head room.

• The front seat is recline adjustable, so much so that you can even put it all the way back for a quick nap!
Completely agree. Its just in the mind.

In office cabs, I used to let the ladies know that I was taking oh so many pains by taking the "conductor" seat when I just used to daily catch up on my sleep Very very comfortable in an indica.
Old 6th March 2008, 16:56   #54
BHPian

Just remember yet another reason to stick to the front seat : Thread Linky!
Old 6th March 2008, 21:56   #55
BHPian

i drive 99% of the time, and when i'm chauffeured around, I get too nervous sitting in front, as my driving style is too different from the driver.

Its a lot more peaceful at the back, especially if the traffic is very bad, and inching forward constantly reminds you about it.

I just sit in the back and chat on the phone...
Old 7th March 2008, 09:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Saw the title and thought it would be an interesting topic to liven up the afternoon.

Turns out we're talking about chauffers instead!
Same here..Saw the title and the first quote that came to my mind was
"Children in backseats cause accidents &
Accidents in backseats cause children"

But then I discovered that the thread has a completely different orientation
Old 7th March 2008, 12:20   #57
Senior - BHPian

On the way if the owner feels like taking a spin, then traditionally, while the owner drives the driver sits in the back seat! lol
Old 7th March 2008, 12:33   #58
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Saw the title and thought it would be an interesting topic to liven up the afternoon.

Turns out we're talking about chauffers instead!
Guess what! I opened this thread thinking the same thing Forum rules won't permit it, but were it allowed can you even warrant a guess on how many people end up viewing and posting to it??? Million views in a day???
Old 7th March 2008, 12:55   #59
BANNED

Although a car like Alto is having poor space in the back, the riding comfort is pretty good in the rear. So that's the reason that why we can see chauffeured Altos !
Old 7th March 2008, 14:29   #60
BHPian

my father prefers back seat even when i drive since he does not want to wear seat belts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks