Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2005, 23:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VULKEN AUTO
What I really meant was [color=darkorange]Why cant We get an accent under 2L under 3 lakhs If it was possible in US[/color]

Thanks for your comments on this Issue guys

VULKEN AUTO
the accent dusnt come in a 2 litre even in the US ...it has a 1.6 litre engine 104 bhp priced at 15ks convert dat to INR is around 7.5 plus lakhs dat too widout the abs ..
how much is a tornado for around dat much ? all leather and much better to look at ...

cheers
Old 27th January 2005, 23:18   #17
BHPian

Cars are supposed to be a luxury here - we've got a lot on our hands and need money so the government taxes what only the richest can afford - and being able to afford a car is definitely a luxury - I don't like it but I can't change the facts - so we have very high excise and sales tax - besides the multilayered tax system adds more on top.

anyway as others have mentioned, we don't have the roads and 99.9% (myself included) don't have the right sense of responsibility -edit - or ability to handle such a car . Can you imagine call center cabs not being Sumos or Qualises but V8 Escalades/Excursions/Explorers ... maybe even the odd Hummvee ?
I find my 94 bhp baleno a big change from my 62 bhp Esteem. It seems enough to me for now at least.

I love old american muscle cars but for India I'd rather have a powerful diesel or a 1.6/1.8/2.0 turbocharged car with AWD - more than enough .

Last edited by zaphod : 27th January 2005 at 23:21.
Old 27th January 2005, 23:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
the accent dusnt come in a 2 litre even in the US ...it has a 1.6 litre engine 104 bhp priced at 15ks convert dat to INR is around 7.5 plus lakhs dat too widout the abs ..
how much is a tornado for around dat much ? all leather and much better to look at ...

cheers
HMM It was under 2L thats what I meant. And u can get 2 accents for 15 k and a sonata for 14k fully loaded, I dont know abt canada. Thank you for your coments guys. Just wanted to clarify some doubts.. All points taken and thanks
Old 28th January 2005, 00:00   #19

ur talking bout 2nd hand cars here ? a new sonata in US is for 20 grands in US .. 8 lakhs ?
and they still dont pack 200 bhp ..
u cant compare indian car scene to that of the american scene .. they have a developed economy ..we r still developing .. we will get our 250 bhp cars in due time at dat price range ..and am sure our kidsl be nagging us to buy one for em ...

later
Old 28th January 2005, 00:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
we will get our 250 bhp cars in due time at dat price range ..and am sure our kidsl be nagging us to buy one for em ...
Yup when i was a kid, i used to get exited when my dad would hit 100kmph in our Amby, on a straight road which was like 700-800 mtrs long. Today, i can do the same thing in around 170 mtrs. LOL

Shan2nu
Old 28th January 2005, 00:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Yup when i was a kid, i used to get exited when my dad would hit 100kmph in our Amby, on a straight road which was like 700-800 mtrs long. Today, i can do the same thing in around 170 mtrs. LOL

Shan2nu
haha ..i grew up watching my dad push the fiat to 70ks and it woudnt budge a kmph more than that and i used to find that fast ... now we do that much in 2nd gear ..

cheers
Old 28th January 2005, 05:34   #22
Team-BHP Support

Hey Vulken,

Its not that we dont know what these cars cost in other countries, and that we are paying international Accord prices for an NHC India.

However, everything has its balance.
I would rather have a 100bhp car and tonnes of fun roads and no speed limits or cops to hassle you,
as opposed to 500bhp for cheap, but all straight roads and tonnes of cops.

Getting back to this country sure will take some readjusting...especially when you are used to buying better cars for less.

cya
R
Old 28th January 2005, 05:40   #23
Team-BHP Support

Check out these threads, they will help answer your questions -

A little help with pricing please

ROOF-TOP HIGH Custom duties is it fair??

A8 For less than an E class? what is the eco times talking about?

cya
R
Old 28th January 2005, 05:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto
WELL Guess what I did use it more than my fingers. the speed limit in florida was 80 mph at some places and guess every one goes 95 mph . thats the rule. I did have a Radar jammer to stop the freaking cops. Guys I meant to post it here because I want the Bhpians who spend lakhs on turbos, Nos, inter coolers and other stuff to know it was easy to get that extra BHP we are dyin for at very competitive prices.

Although I didnt anticipate the conversation to go this way What I really meant was [color=darkorange]Why cant We get an accent under 2L under 3 lakhs If it was possible in US[/color]

Thanks for your comments on this Issue guys

VULKEN AUTO
hold up...im in the US too man (my Mazda6s is sitting at 235 hp right now, give or take). Im sorta familiar with florida, but where in that state is the speed limit 80mph? The Keys? Everglades? Cause nationally i thought it was either 65 or 55..well maybe except for the rural states (Montana, etc).
Old 28th January 2005, 06:34   #25
BHPian

Well the point is that car owners are supposed to be a high income group by Indian standards and so they are taxed heavily. As simple as that. There's about 100% Tax on a car right now. An Accent retails in US is around 11K. Thats close to 5 L INR. How in the world can you get it any cheaper than this in India???? What you are saying can be true for higher end cars but not for low end ones.
Old 28th January 2005, 07:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
hold up...im in the US too man (my Mazda6s is sitting at 235 hp right now, give or take). Im sorta familiar with florida, but where in that state is the speed limit 80mph? The Keys? Everglades? Cause nationally i thought it was either 65 or 55..well maybe except for the rural states (Montana, etc).
Palm beach KILLER . 65 haah u liv in ohio dude even michigan it has 75
Old 28th January 2005, 12:29   #27
BHPian

Why Cant We Get 250 Horses Under 7 Lakh Inr

Hey Vulkan, we can't get 250 Horses under 7-Lac INR for the same reason that we cannot get a gallon (read 4.35Litres) of gas (read petrol) under $2 (Rs 90). Heh Heh.. Its not just the cost of buying a vehicle, but also the cost of maintaining and running a vehicle.. A camaro or a corvette would give hardly 12-15 mpg. That translates roughly equal to 4-5 kmpl. Get your math right dude.. Not everybody has that kind of money to blow...
Old 28th January 2005, 12:57   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Vulkan,

Its quite simple why cars in India cost much more than in other developed countries:

1. High Taxation rate. About 50% of the sticker tag at the showroom goes toward local, state and national treasuries.

2. SIZE of the market : When you are selling 4,00,000 Accords a year....you will certainly sell it much cheaper than in a market where you are selling 1,500 Accords (or 0.375 %) annually.

3. Costs (Related to Point no.2) : Most of the international marques sold here arent even manufactured here. And why should they? The economics just dont work out for specific automobiles.

Simple enough, isnt it?

GTO
Old 28th January 2005, 12:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WELL Guess what I did use it more than my fingers. the speed limit in florida was 80 mph at some places and guess every one goes 95 mph
Maaan, 95 mph......... thats it?? Any Qualis taxi driver will tell you that he does it regularly on Indian roads with an engine that doesn't even produce 100bhp. Lol

Mu uncle in the US drives a 235 bhp Impala and the fastest he's gone is 75mph. Another uncle in Cali has a S500 and even he hasn't seen the birghter side of 80mph.

I don't think it would make any diff to their driving style even if their cars were 100bhp less powerful.

Shan2nu
Old 28th January 2005, 13:24   #30
BHPian

It is not abt how much speed you go, but how fast you can go that speed , each time you down on the gear again and again, In my case that is fun zippin, I know my friends touch 200mph on their bikes with in secs, that is what im talkin abt, well you go 100 150 200 what the difference it feels the same in the car with A/C on and a smooth road. Camaro z is like a dragster used for regular driving, that is fun. I never cared abt Bhp or 0-60 or 0-100 because I know I am in a fast car, All I cared abt is can I zippppppppppppppp..

Nice point GTO I was anticipating for that point on market size (Point 2)

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 28th January 2005 at 13:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks