Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2008, 20:07   #91
Senior - BHPian

The Prudent question that needs to be asked here is... Why Palio evokes such strong emotions from everyone.. be it lovers or the haters (not haters in the literal sense)? Why not any other car? Is it because its an underdog and those who own it have a sense somewhere inside that this car should have sold and it hasn't?
Old 18th March 2008, 20:16   #92
BHPian

For me, I would love to buy a Bravo or a Linea. But what's the use, if I don't feel confident After Sales Service. I (may be lot of Indian buyers) have a tendency to become impatient when a problem occurs in a car. I hate to wait for 4 to 5 days (that too uncertain) for the spares to arrive and then do the job. Few Fiat customers have faced this in the past and many share this view (though they dont buy it, they still can be potential customers).

Fiat didnt do well in After Sales. The products from Fiat are way too good. But poor After Sales I think was the root cause for Fiat's initial debacle in India.

Also the doubts about Fiat's future was like adding fuel to the fire. Damage has been done.

I know they are working on it. I know they have tied up with Tata for distribution and After sales. But I am still hesitant.

Fiat should (I think they already have) acknowledge this hesitant attitude and pursue a long term strategy. Few initial good products may flop, but they shouldn't lose patience. A tie-up with Tata is definitely going to help a lot.

They also need a very aggressive marketing campaign. Because things take time and money to mend.
Old 18th March 2008, 20:42   #93
BANNED

I am not much of an auto enthusiast but like driving cars. I as an average person didn' know much about Fiat except the company that made Premier Padminis and Presidents. Yeah whenever I saw or heard of Palio I would chuckle to myself- "what kind of car is that and who would buy that". Yes all without good enough reasons but if millions of people are thinking like that, then, go figure Fiat.
I want to buy my first car and ironically after becoming a member here I seem to have caught an infection for Fiat and am exploring the options with Palio 1.6 and Palio MJD but I find it a difficult decision to make even with the vehicles perceived good quality. I just told one of my friends that I am considering Fiat Palio and he gave me a shocked look
Well after reading a lot here and having had some not so pleasant experience at the TATA showroom, I wrote a feedback to the FIAT about peoples problems with FIAT and also urged them to look into this site and assign some customer support engineer to answer the questions at this forum- I know its wishful thinking, but hey, I made a try.

Lets make things better
Old 18th March 2008, 20:50   #94
BHPian

I would not buy a Fiat for 1 simple reason- "horrible after sales service". Its said that wise people learn from others, normal with their own experience and fools never learn. In matters of cars this rule doesnt apply as many of us buy the cars with our hearts on our hands and whatever we like we buy. But after going through the nightmarish experiences trying to get a Fiat repaired, I am ---- scared.
Old 18th March 2008, 21:58   #95
BHPian

People on this forum hate Fiat, because they know what good cars they make. They hate it because they want to drive a car with good handling, ride, safety, style and engineering, a car which Fiat can so easily, make easier to own , by providing good a.s.s. but they do'nt. They also don't do a lot of other simple things to inspire trust in a prospective customer. It is our frustation with Fiat failing to provide us the cars they have the way we want .

So there you have it. People on this forum hate Fiat for failing to live up to our expectation.

Others Dont Care!!!
Old 18th March 2008, 22:25   #96
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to get a Fiat 1.9D, but they had been discontinued. So got an indica turbo instead. If i were out to get a diesel hatch today, chances are, I'd have bought the MJD.

If I had my own oil wells, I'd have bought a 1.6 instead.

Of course the only car I'd not have EVER bought would be a 1.1, which imho is quite pointless

Most of the do not buy fiat arguements are directed against this particular car. It would have drawn flak if any other co had launched it.
Old 18th March 2008, 23:26   #97
BHPian

Guys, I personally dont have a liking towards FIAT (personal opinion). As far as i see it is very simple. A automobile company which cannot have its own exclusive showroom, AS&S in a country and which needs help of other Indian companies or local dealers (who market and sell vehicles of many brands) to help it in selling products just cannot click in India atleast. It shows that the company itself is not confident whether its products are going to be accepted by people or not.

In Bangalore Fiat had a tie up with Sundaram Motors and Sundaram is responsible for the downfall of FIAT in bangalore. My 2 friends who had Palio were fed up with them and finally sold the vehicles. Sundaram Motors just didnt care either about the sales or about the after service for FIAT. They are doing the same with GM now.
Old 19th March 2008, 08:51   #98
Senior - BHPian

Lets just make it simple. Its no rocket technology. Its just about the market maturity level. Majority of indian customers look for practicality over anything else. To him things like ride comfort, power, engine smoothness, safety, ergonomics etc. etc. make no sense. FIAT was unable to understand that. Maruti does it best. They know the indian mindset and make them feel that they are getting what they want. FIAT was not bothered with its 36th country of entry. It thought that a good product would sell by itself. But the sad side was that we were unable to understand what really was good.

I dont think anyone would question the products by FIAT till date except the St[er]il[is]e[d] version (since its too early to say about this "cost cut" variant). At that price it was and still is the best product around in terms of features and comfort and build. But still everyone would say that they would think twice before owning one. Well. Its all about your priorities.

Why would i not buy a FIAT. well i'll get a lot of reasons around.
- Less knowledge of technicians in solving problems possibly due to complicated technology.
- Procurement delays in spares. Part due to FIAT and part due to dealers. If you see the different variants of a spare that looks same. You will go mad.
- Almost Every other person around who would discourage me from looking at a FIAT.
- The 98 PCD tyres that makes me look like an idiot while shopping for alloys.

All said and done. I own a FIAT Adventure. As i said. it all depends on what you are really looking for and how much do you wish to compromise.

Last edited by gemithomas : 19th March 2008 at 08:56.
Old 19th March 2008, 08:54   #99
Senior - BHPian

I would not buy a Fiat because:
-- Poor A.S.S.
-- High cost of spares
-- Unavailability of accessories (eg seat covers) and spare parts in the market for FIAT cars.
-- Horrible stories of F.E. of one of the FIAT models sold in India

I would buy a FIAT for:
-- T90 like build quality
-- Doors that close with a reassuring 'THUD'.

My first and last post on this topic.

Last edited by DCEite : 19th March 2008 at 08:57.
Old 19th March 2008, 11:00   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Sundaram Motors just didnt care either about the sales or about the after service for FIAT. They are doing the same with GM now.
Which is exactly my point. So should bangy guys stop buying GM cars because Sundaram Motors is the dealer. I have seen Sundaram motors being the dealers for every other car under the sun - From Honda to Mercedes. But that does not stop people from buying a Honda or a Mercedes.
Old 19th March 2008, 11:11   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Lets just make it simple. Its no rocket technology. Its just about the market maturity level. Majority of indian customers look for practicality over anything else. To him things like ride comfort, power, engine smoothness, safety, ergonomics etc. etc. make no sense. FIAT was unable to understand that. Maruti does it best. They know the indian mindset and make them feel that they are getting what they want. FIAT was not bothered with its 36th country of entry. It thought that a good product would sell by itself. But the sad side was that we were unable to understand what really was good.
Ride comfort, power, engine smoothness, safety, ergonomics.... So these are not practical things ? Its not right to say Indian customer cares just about FE and nothing else('huh that desi' attitude). Its time to stop saying that Palio is a great product (except the door thud for a hatch) that the Indian public is unwilling to buy.
Old 19th March 2008, 11:12   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Which is exactly my point. So should bangy guys stop buying GM cars because Sundaram Motors is the dealer. I have seen Sundaram motors being the dealers for every other car under the sun - From Honda to Mercedes. But that does not stop people from buying a Honda or a Mercedes.
This is OT. Perhaps Sundaram is getting more money from Honda and Merc. Perhaps they are more strict about customer satisfaction. Perhaps more volumes from Honda and more revenue/car from MB to justify a better infra (have not visited Sundaram ever, since I stay in Delhi but have studied for 2 yrs in Bangalore in the early 1990s).

Service dealers can break a product, but a bad service dealer+good product do not, provided there are good service dealers nearby. In Delhi, I know from my experience that Harpreet (that of Priya Sachdev/Chatwal/Clinton connection) has dealerships of almost all brands, and they do an excellent job on my car.
Old 19th March 2008, 11:36   #103
Senior - BHPian

It is high time we stop discussing at length & breadth about Fiat and its cars!

Each individual here & outside has a liberty to buy a Car of their choice, so if you have anything good to share about your Car & service, please share it here, please stop bashing other Cars & their makers just for the heck of it!
It serves no purpose & leaves a bad taste to the numerous members & guests who visit this great site!

Peace!
Old 19th March 2008, 11:45   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
This is OT. Perhaps Sundaram is getting more money from Honda and Merc. Perhaps they are more strict about customer satisfaction. Perhaps more volumes from Honda and more revenue/car from MB to justify a better infra (have not visited Sundaram ever, since I stay in Delhi but have studied for 2 yrs in Bangalore in the early 1990s).

Service dealers can break a product, but a bad service dealer+good product do not, provided there are good service dealers nearby. In Delhi, I know from my experience that Harpreet (that of Priya Sachdev/Chatwal/Clinton connection) has dealerships of almost all brands, and they do an excellent job on my car.
I have personally experienced the way Sundaram Motors deal with its customers. Had to get an end bush replacement for the side step in my dad's Tavera.

They were holding the car for good 3 days as the spare part being out of stock and then they send the car back as fixed without replacing the old bush with the new one. The worst thing was they kept the new bush inside the car with the packing intact. I had to use worst words at the driver who bought the car home and he got the car back the next day after getting the new bush fixed. This is an example to show how worst cases can happen with Sundaram Motors. The guys are just too lazy for the job!

I would strongly make the point that Good Car+Bad Dealer is always bad. And if i am not wrong the A.S.S for FIAT was handled only by Sundaram Motors when all these perceptions of Bad Fiat A.S.S started. Now people have options when it comes to A.S.S of FIAT.
Old 19th March 2008, 17:48   #105
GTO
Team-BHP Support

'Nuff said guys. I think its time for the thread to be closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks