Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2008, 20:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

If you plan to travel anywhere near North India during the summer season then I would recommend you buy an A/C car since it'll be much more comfortable to travel in.
Old 19th March 2008, 20:46   #17

The a/c compressor adds too much weight and uses too much fuel.
A/C would be nice in the cities because of pollution but I have no desire to drive in Large Indian cities.
Old 19th March 2008, 21:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarenracer View Post
on my last visit i bought a Opel Astra for 1.5lacs, used it for three months, 2 nights before leaving, sold it back for 1.55 lacs in a small town outside Delhi. so in all i made a good deal. i'll make another long trip this or next year, will be looking for Opel vectra or Mondeo this time.
three months with a vectra or a mondeo? it'll lose another couple of lakhs in just that much time
Old 19th March 2008, 21:48   #19
BANNED

@AEROBATICHIGH - can you tolerate 40 degree Celsius ambient temperature, with wind and heat reflected from the road? It can also be humid - especially just before the monsoons. Combined effect of heat, humidity, hot wind and reflected heat from the road can be - to put it mildly - wilting. Do consider an a/c on your car.

Please define what you mean by "legal" while referring to vehicle ownership. There is no requirement that the vehicle you drive should be registered in your name. As I understand the law, proof of permanent residence is required to get a vehicle registered in your name.

Since you will be on a tourist visa, this is next to impossible, (but the registering authority has discretion - see the rule from the page I quoted earlier. Rule 47 refers you back ot Rule 4. The registering authority mentioned in Rule 47 is the registering authority w.r.t your place of residence - so extending the meaning of passport in rule 4 (4) to include a non-indian passport will not help you).

The "discreetion" stems from the last part of rule 4 - which starts with "Provided that....". The easiest way would be to approach an executive magistrate (an official of the revenue department, or a Notary). Doing this from smaller towns will make things easier for you. But be prepared to spend 2 to 3 days for the legal part alone.

But more upright (or those hell-bent on creating trouble and know the law) law enforcement officers in other parts of the country are likely to question you more closely on how you obtained a proof of permanent residence while you are on a tourist visa.

So, the safest way out will be to have the vehicle in name of a friend - if you insist that the vehicle should be in your name.

If I were you, if I am to use a vehicle for only a year, I will only ensure that the taxes are paid (for the period - you will get a square /rectangular piece of paper with a round seal - which we call the "tax round" in Kerala, and have a separate insurance policy, in your name covering the vehicle. (A vehicle registered in name of X can have an insurance policy in name of Y - and the law is happy with that). You will need a friend here - even some officials of insurance companies are ignorant of this. Since insurance policies are valid only for one year, expect the policy in respect the vehicle you will be buying to expire within 3 months. Renewing this from a remote place during your travel is going to be a RRPITA.
Old 19th March 2008, 23:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEROBATICHIGH View Post
The a/c compressor adds too much weight and uses too much fuel.
A/C would be nice in the cities because of pollution but I have no desire to drive in Large Indian cities.
In modern cars? I think you have your facts wrong here. The weight increase in negligible & so is the FE drop. Given our conditions I think it's a must have even for Indians leave alone foreigners who are not really used to tolerating our climate for long, extended periods (I'm assuming here so if I'm wrong, please excuse). Also, having an air conditioned car generally means that even after a long journey in hot conditions you will be relatively fresh & fatigue free when you reach your destination.

Just my 2 cents though.
Old 19th March 2008, 23:16   #21

I simlpy want to buy a used vehicle and use it for a period of 1 year.

I wish to comply fully with the rules of the road across India with regard to vehicle registration and insurance.

If I am involved in an accident I want to make sure all parties are protected.

If I am stopped by the police I want to be able to satisfy them that all is in order with regard to the above.

Depending on the type and price of the vechicle that I choose I may wish to sell it at the end of a year,therefore I must be able to prove it is mine to sell.
Alternatively I could just burn it.
Old 19th March 2008, 23:54   #22

Can anyone recommend an internet site with vehicles from the Delhi area.
Possibly looking for a Tata diesel pickup 4x4.
Price about US$5000/GB£2500/ INR 2,50,000 ?
Old 20th March 2008, 11:02   #23
BANNED

First, see the following links on an example problem faced by Indiansin getting address proof.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...s-like-me.html

Quote:
If I am involved in an accident I want to make sure all parties are protected.
Which precisely why I suggested you take out a fresh insurance policy in your name, rather than name of the regsitered owner.

Quote:
If I am stopped by the police I want to be able to satisfy them that all is in order with regard to the above.
All they will look for is a valid registration, insurance, "pollution under check" certificate aka PUC, and tax paid papers. And of course, a valid driver's license for the driver.

Quote:
Depending on the type and price of the vechicle that I choose I may wish to sell it at the end of a year,therefore I must be able to prove it is mine to sell.
Again, all the above papers, minus the puc and insurance and driver's license are sufficient. having a valid insurance may add to your bargaining power rather than resale value.

And remember that not all buyers of used cars get the vehicles transferred into their names. This is a potential risk for the registered owner, and is faced by all sellers of vehicles. See this link -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ownership.html
Old 20th March 2008, 14:15   #24
BANNED

You said pickup?? Just make sure that you get a vehicle with "non-transport vehicle" endorsed on the registration certificate. "transport vehicles" (crazy Motor vehicles Act - all vehicles are meant for transport, are'nt they?) are vehicles meant for commercial use, are supposed to have a yellow background numberplate, require a permit - which restricts use to a specified area, and of course, caries higher tax. I remember reading somewhere on this forum itself that different States tax pickups differently. Additionally, drivers of yellow number plate vehicles should have a "badge", usually a first aid certification.

While looking around for a vehicle, it is usually assumed that one is looking for a "non-transprot vehicle", so it is not necessary that you specify it. But befroe paying any kind of money, ask for the papers, and ensure that the registration certificate has the vehicle classified as "non-transport" vehicle.
Old 20th March 2008, 15:14   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone recommend an internet site with vehicles from the Delhi area.
i like .. Used Cars, New Cars, Buy Cars, Sell Cars, New Car Prices, Used Car Prices - CarWale.com India
Old 20th March 2008, 15:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

Which precisely why I suggested you take out a fresh insurance policy in your name, rather than name of the regsitered owner.
It is legal and will work fine for traffic violations. In cases of accidents, it is troublesome.

In my case, I was abroad. The car & insurance was in my name. My father had taken the vehicle and had appointed a driver. Unfortunately he was rear-ended. Fortunately there was a traffic police nearby and served as witness. My insurance company (Royal Sundaram) wanted a proof that I was not driving vehicle elsewhere. I had to scan my visa and emigration stamp and email that to my dad to get it sorted out.

If the gent can get papers in his name that will certainly help in situations like above. The method you are suggesting should be used as backup.

It reminds me - legally foreigners are not allowed to own lands (or atleast agricultural) in India.
Old 20th March 2008, 15:50   #27
BANNED

Quote:
My insurance company (Royal Sundaram) wanted a proof that I was not driving vehicle elsewhere.
What for?

Are Royal Sundaram saying that you cannot own a car, give it to a driver to drive your family members's use and then you go ahead and drive around in a 2nd car?
Old 20th March 2008, 16:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
What for?

Are Royal Sundaram saying that you cannot own a car, give it to a driver to drive your family members's use and then you go ahead and drive around in a 2nd car?
no idea. this was about 3 years back. my father was so sorry and bit scared by the experience. Maybe he was harrased by the insurance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks