Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2005, 15:15   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

hey SS
why cant you use open vent mode in the city
i have to travel with my windows open 60% of the time but thats because my driver feels sick with the a.c. as hes prone to colds
i always use open-vent when travelling if the a.c is really needed but when theres a bus or tempo in from you know what to do but then immediately switch over once it gets better
Old 6th February 2005, 17:44   #17
SLK
Senior - BHPian

... I can't say about others makes... .. but in Marutis u should not open vents....
At my level of A/c usage .. the a/c coil gets blocked in about 6 months if I open vents.

My coil had originally got blocked.. within 1 year of purchase.... but.. after the overhauling.. I NEVER EVER opened the vent.. and since then its .. working quite ok (its 3 years since then, the blower still has 70%+ flow).

And.. also.. are cars air tight?... none of mine are... .. you can always smell the pollution if there's too much of it!.. so oxygen depletion shouldn't be a problem.
Old 6th February 2005, 23:35   #18
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
when inside the city,u cannot use FRESH AIR setting as the outside dust ,smoke can get into the car .also the blower will get clogged with all the dust.
what you can do is use the recirculation mode and once in a while use the fresh air option .on the highways or in the countryside,you can change over to fresh air,but in side the city it should be recirculation.
Exactly what I do. Never drive in fresh air mode in the city. The moment you do it you can literally smell the pollution in the car.
Old 7th February 2005, 12:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjkulkarni
Exactly what I do. Never drive in fresh air mode in the city. The moment you do it you can literally smell the pollution in the car.
That brings up another interesting point. Do most cars have adequate air-circulation in the engine compartment under the bonnet??

e.g. When you switch your A/C between the re-circulate mode and the fresh-air mode, what prevents all the pent-up heat and gas fumes in the engine chamber from getting released into the passenger chamber of the vehicle thereby suffocating the poor folks inside??

You might be tempted to think that the whole city pollution is entering your vehicle, whereas it might be the fumes from your own vehicle. The air-blower might suck in good air but fumes from the engine in case of oil or coolant-leakages might mix with the air and be forced into the engine chamber by virtue of your A/C.

Moreover the air heated by the heat of the engine and trapped under the bonnet could be released into the cabin when you switch from re-circulate mode to the fresh-air mode??

Opinions please??
Old 7th February 2005, 20:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Incidently,i've never experienced anything of this sort.Yeah but at times wen its like really hot,and all of a sudden one gets into an ACed room,and then back out in the sun,its obvious that ur heads gonna go for a spin.
Otherwise,while travellin my Ac is on fulltime.Only switch if off while smoking.Thats bout it.

X
Old 30th December 2007, 11:40   #21

Using A/C in a car

This can happen if AC is in recirculation air mode for long periods of time. To overcome this switch off recirculation mode every 30 mins and let fresh air in. Ideal if u are on highways with less pollution unlike city traffics.
Old 30th December 2007, 22:36   #22
BHPian

Putting dark tints only causes claustrophobia and gives dull feeling.

Your problem itself is the tints!

Only in india people use tints and reverse alarms, nowhere else.
Old 30th December 2007, 22:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
... I can't say about others makes... .. but in Marutis u should not open vents....
At my level of A/c usage .. the a/c coil gets blocked in about 6 months if I open vents.

My coil had originally got blocked.. within 1 year of purchase.... but.. after the overhauling.. I NEVER EVER opened the vent.. and since then its .. working quite ok (its 3 years since then, the blower still has 70%+ flow).

And.. also.. are cars air tight?... none of mine are... .. you can always smell the pollution if there's too much of it!.. so oxygen depletion shouldn't be a problem.
SLK--how can you make out if your coil has got blocked? Does it affect cooling?
Old 31st December 2007, 10:00   #24
BHPian

Guys, this is a 2 year old thread.
Old 31st December 2007, 10:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

i dont think his feelings would have changed much in 2 years isnt it :-D

also with more pollution, i bet more people are forced to drive with AC on and this sort of feeling
Old 31st December 2007, 12:04   #26
Team-BHP Support

Water. Drink lots of it.
Keep a bottle in the car and take a couple of sips every now and then.

A/C dehydrates you, just keep picking up the fluids.
will help better if you add electrolyte to the water.

Most Viewed