Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2008, 22:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Wanted a diesel CVT automatic hatch!

We have come a long way since the launch of Maruti 800 in 1983/84. However, when it comes to an automatic trasmission car, the choice is severely limited.

Santro and Wagon R are the only two small cars available in automatic version. But both are petrol. Also, these two cars have a stepped transmission system ( i.e 3-speed or 4-speed ) as opposed to NHC's CVT which is far superior as it provides smooth stepless acceleration.

Stepped gear ratio cars like Santro and wagon R jerk every time it upshifts or downshifts. It is quite annoying. Also, it hunts for gears in stop and start bumper crawl--- i.e. as you rev and ease off successively as is normal in B-to-B crawl, the car will jerk back and forth annoyingly. Whereas, a CVT will just glide up or down due to infinite gear ratios.

Inner city drives are getting increasingly annoying and your left foot and left hand ache from all that clutch use / gear changes. A good compact automatic seems to be the only solution. When will we have a 4-wheeler equivalent of Honda Activa?

The dream automatic will be a diesel hatch with a CVT transmission costing 5-6 lakhs. Are there any in the pipeline?
Old 25th May 2008, 23:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wishful thinking is all I can say brother. None on radar AFAIK, nor on teambhp discussions for that matter!
Old 25th May 2008, 23:44   #3
BHPian

I was expecting this from the fabia, specially when they are putting it as a high end hatch with everything. But don't really think it will happen.
Old 26th May 2008, 12:34   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I concur....there is a potential market waiting out there for diesel hatches. Here is my thread on why Tata should take the lead. They are the only ones who can price it attractively.
Old 26th May 2008, 12:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
I was expecting this from the fabia, specially when they are putting it as a high end hatch with everything. But don't really think it will happen.
+1

I'd definatly get one for the family. A diesel Fabia with automatic would be ideal or even a petrol CVT would be nice.
Old 26th May 2008, 12:49   #6
BHPian

ya rite! i want one too from ages, since past 3.5 years, when we bought the Getz, i am waiting for a diesel hatch, ready to pay 9 lk also for a Fabia diesel Auto! but buggers just not getting one!

I think Martui should come out with automatic on the Swift. Great car, nice mileage. will be perfect with the Auto!

Spoke to my uncle, Skoda dealer here, but he said there is no plans of Skoda to get an Auto box for the Fabia in near future.

Last edited by Insane Devil : 26th May 2008 at 12:51.
Old 26th May 2008, 13:33   #7
BANNED

I'd be one of the first few in line if Tata ever came out with an automatic in any of their offerings. An Indica / Indigo CS automatic in diesel guise would be a boon in city traffic.
Old 26th May 2008, 13:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Also, these two cars have a stepped transmission system ( i.e 3-speed or 4-speed ) as opposed to NHC's CVT which is far superior as it provides smooth stepless acceleration.

Stepped gear ratio cars like Santro and wagon R jerk every time it upshifts or downshifts. ..Whereas, a CVT will just glide up or down due to infinite gear ratios.

The dream automatic will be a diesel hatch with a CVT transmission costing 5-6 lakhs. Are there any in the pipeline?
Untill recent innovations in material science CVTs have been notoriously inefficient as a transmission. Using concentric clutches (like the DSG) a stepped-geared auto box will be more efficient and no where as jerky as the Santro.

BTW I do drive a CVT (NHC). You need to change your driving style a bit (compared to drivig a more spirited car like say th Octy vRS) to get the best out of this (NHC-CVT) car.

BTW if one had a dream car the fuel would not be diesel. It would be Hydro or at worst a Hybird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Spoke to my uncle, Skoda dealer here, but he said there is no plans of Skoda to get an Auto box for the Fabia in near future.
The current Fabia is alrady in the uber-hatch category in India (costing more than some sedans like the older Esteem and Accent or newer Dzire, Logan or Indigo). Adding a auto box (even the older fuzzy logic on vs the newer Tiptronic) would push it into the class of the NHC-CVT. Would it sell?
Old 26th May 2008, 13:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
I think Martui should come out with automatic on the Swift. Great car, nice mileage. will be perfect with the Auto!
I wish Maruti had launched swift in auto tranny. Its available in other markets. I also also saw few of them used in one of the episodes for "Amazing Race" on AXN. I guess Maruti only has auto box on WagonR. But its 3 speed and its no fun.
I would love to see Palio MJD with auto box.
Old 26th May 2008, 14:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

There is no diesel automatic available except the Skoda family (but not the Fabia)
No other hatch comes with an automatic option (except the Santro)
And finally none of them come with a CVT option nor are likely to come in tha version soon so forget it.
Old 26th May 2008, 16:41   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
No other hatch comes with an automatic option (except the Santro)
There is a small chance that Honda might release a auto version of their Jazz late next year ('09).

now if you are dreaming imagine that the same advances in material science that make the CVT reliable might help solve the tip-seal problem of the Wankle engine. Think Wankle engine mated to CVT which will make for a very light and smooth system.

Last edited by navin : 26th May 2008 at 16:42.
Old 26th May 2008, 17:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
There is a small chance that Honda might release a auto version of their Jazz late next year ('09).

now if you are dreaming imagine that the same advances in material science that make the CVT reliable might help solve the tip-seal problem of the Wankle engine. Think Wankle engine mated to CVT which will make for a very light and smooth system.
I think car makers are now waking up to the idea of automatics being accepted by Indian car users.

Wankle engine = Drool maal as in MAzda RX-7 but an RX-7 with a CVT or even an automatic...No Way Jose!!
Actuall the CVT is the Automatic of the future and the present. Audi has already adapted to it, so has the Benz and so many other manufacturers. Lets hope Indian guys wake up too
Old 26th May 2008, 18:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

The only hope is from Honda. Suzuki wont come with automatic diesel swift at least in this model. The next swift might have one.

The only option left out is Honda Jazz, but I think that they dont ahve any other diesel than 2.2D, so putting that huge engine in the new Jazz is next to impossible.

They might give us the smaller three cylinder 1.65ltr diesel ( just chop off one cylinder from 2.2 ) with the CVT.

Hope this happens. There will be a large market becuase now the automatics are steadily ( albeit slowly ) gaining market as the people have come to know the convienence. The technological innovations and intellegience have brought the fuel effeciency upto good levels for automatics.

Hope that Honda does this.
Old 26th May 2008, 18:47   #14
BANNED

sadly the swift ddis is available abroad in triptronic or auto-manual 2 in 1 whatever its called. thats so cool they have engine options, 3 transmission options. india sucks
Old 26th May 2008, 19:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

The best thing which could happen would be a swift/dzire and the SX4 with auto transmission that too with a ddis. Rockin car with a driver friendly transmission

If only they come with something like this. Here in mauritius( where i am presently) i saw a swift. Enquired with the driver , it was the higher spec engine. Man really India sucks in cars that is .

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 26th May 2008 at 19:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks