Team-BHP - Gear lock saves my car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Gear lock saves my car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/4021-gear-lock-saves-my-car-2.html)

I Agree..........
Dunt Mind Me Saying
Maruti's are the easiest to rob....
anything whether it be the deck...
the internal contents or the car itself.....
Heheheh......
I advise everyone who does hav a maruti....
with that rear quarter glass have the grille installed...
also u do get those rear grilles for the rear light.....
they pretty neat tooo..........
Aniways
cheers

Gear locks are really really safe for the car.And so is the brake n steering lock.
I believe they are a must for any car,regardless of the car having autocop or not.

And dude dceite ur damn lucky. :)

X

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo_lover
Gear locks restrict the movement of floor-mounted gear levers...gearlock is mounted alongside the gear lever, and suits manual , using a padlock style shackle which locks the lever holding the vehicle in gear.... if this device is fitted, it would be impossible to move the vehicle..

cheers

Guys,

How much would these locks cost and is there any preferred brand that one should go for ?

hey but what if you use one of those.the guys who come to tow your car ,will they be able to do anything to it and is it leagal to have one of those ??

rev

I have a steering lock and Autocops (model 5000) in my WagonR, have been planning to get a gear lock almost for an year now!.. but never get around doing it.

They cost between 2 to 3.5k ... and I don't see any reason they would not be legal!.

For now.. till I get a gear lock.... I'll stay awake all nights and sit by the window so that i can see all the cars...... but I'm worried about the day time now! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnu
Guys,

How much would these locks cost and is there any preferred brand that one should go for ?

Hey cnu,
If you opt for the local product made in steel if im not mistaken,it should cost you anywhere between 200rs-1000rs.Infact for around 2000rs you would definately get a steering as well as the gear lock.I use a steering one.It locks up the steering to the brakes and is quite effective.Got that one for 200rs from a local shop.Pretty reliable.Infact so much,that i dont trust Autocop anymore. ;)

X

Just Curious. Where was the car parked when this happened? On the street or inside a building.

I always make it a point to park in a well lit area where some people move around.

Many years ago, our Ambassador was stolen and the car was found after 4 weeks in the outskirts of bangalore standing on 4 stones. The tires, battery, seats, music system, headlights etc etc were stripped.

If I have to use one of these, which one would be more effective - a gear lock or a steering lock ?

once he gets the third glass off it is very very easy to open the door without interfering with the alarm. disconnect the alarm hooter wire by sliding under the car...
no alarm will sound and can happily do his work.

This seriously makes me reconsider my decision not to get the gear lock installed when I bought my car....
2 eyars, no mishaps fortunately, I suppose it is time I got it done.

How much would a decent one set me back by?

cnu and abhi182, the gear lock cost me 1600 bucks... its of "terminator" brand...

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo_lover
Gear locks restrict the movement of floor-mounted gear levers...gearlock is mounted alongside the gear lever, and suits manual , using a padlock style shackle which locks the lever holding the vehicle in gear.... if this device is fitted, it would be impossible to move the vehicle..

cheers

This might be a poor question, so please excuse me if it is. From what I understand of the gear lock, is it not possible to engage the clutch to start the car and still drive it away in the gear that it is in? (*at the worst case, in reverse*) I have not used one, so I don't really know. Any posts from gear-lock users are appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman91
once he gets the third glass off it is very very easy to open the door without interfering with the alarm. disconnect the alarm hooter wire by sliding under the car...
no alarm will sound and can happily do his work.

but shouldnt the alarm go off when the door is opened.

i had heard in delhi that u can de activate the car security system by breaking the small side indicator bulbs on the sides.i ha d said this when GTO's esteem has gone missing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by x machine
.I use a steering one.It locks up the steering to the brakes and is quite effective

hey x machine ,
when your brakes are locked ,doesnt the brake light remain on.this would mean wastage of battery power.

please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sAP
is it not possible to engage the clutch to start the car and still drive it away in the gear that it is in?

it is possible man ..but stealing a car in reverse gear is not practical...

If one tries to break the lock or removed it ,he will end up breaking the gear box and the car will be jammmed ..

hence gear locks is something which wards off potential theives from stealing your car ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedsatya
but shouldnt the alarm go off when the door is opened.
i had heard in delhi that u can de activate the car security system by breaking the small side indicator bulbs on the sides.i ha d said this when GTO's esteem has gone missing.

By breaking the side indicators and disconnecting one of the 2/3 wires,one can de-activate the security system.Once this is done,all the doors are unlocked and its an easy process thereafter. :p

Quote:

hey x machine ,
when your brakes are locked ,doesnt the brake light remain on.this would mean wastage of battery power.
please:
Nopes it does'nt.Because the brake pedal is in the normal position.Its just the brake-rod(whatever) which is locked.The pic below will clear your doubts.... :)

X