Team-BHP - Gear lock saves my car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Gear lock saves my car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/4021-gear-lock-saves-my-car-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo_lover
lol ..how many 800s do u have ??? ..
i could open my 800 with a friggin scissor tip ! rl: rl:

hey turbo u wont believe one thing my esteem opens almost with any key but the key should be thin it can open with a hairclip too but i dont care that much as no one bothers to steal my car or mess into my car and there is nothing worth to steal in my car lol:

the steering locks can be brooken in easily by impacting at the center of the rod ..since there are separate rods jammed by the lock in the middle or melted ..

the good gear locks (eg autocops ) are made of some high grade alloy which cant be melted easily neither can it be broken by a heavy impact without damaging the whole gear box .. this is because the surface area is is very small and the lock is attached to the body / gear box of the car ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sAP
This might be a poor question, so please excuse me if it is. From what I understand of the gear lock, is it not possible to engage the clutch to start the car and still drive it away in the gear that it is in? (*at the worst case, in reverse*) I have not used one, so I don't really know. Any posts from gear-lock users are appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo_lover
it is possible man ..but stealing a car in reverse gear is not practical... If one tries to break the lock or removed it ,he will end up breaking the gear box and the car will be jammmed ..

Hmm.. interesting. So with the gear-lock in place, someone CAN actually drive away the car in the gear its in... in reverse at the worst case (*not convenient but still possible*) to a more convenient location and try to pick the lock without breaking the device. (*I am thinking hypothetically here... but I have driven long through a whole street in reverse without anyone raising an eyebrow(!).. so I it can't be much of a deterrent*)

Adding a steering lock seems to provide some added protection though, in the sense that if someone were to pick it's lock, he/she has to do it without being able to drive over to a more convenient location. Well, nothing ever seems to be really foolproof...

What I infer now to be a good strategy is to have multiple levels of protection, so that it may be increasingly difficult for a thief to take the car away; and that he'd rather try his hand on an easier target. Its what we do for computer communications (encrypt and encapsulate) and files (encapsulate within another encapsulation).

Some interesting notes in this topic on US findings: http://www.transalt.org/info/caralarms/02summary.html
sap

Quote:

Well, nothing ever seems to be really foolproof...
true that !!
the whole idea of such scurity systems /accessories is to reduce the probability of the vehicle being stolen ..

a car with the maxiumum number of security features will have a lesser chance of getting stolen as compared to a car with basic lock and key device ..
hence

"the addition of each level of security marginally reduces the probability of theft "

Quote:

try to pick the lock without breaking the device.
u should see the key for the gear lock ! its not something one can Pick .. it cannot be duplicated ,it has a multi layered toothing (3 set of layers on each side )..so picking it will taken quiet a while ..

Wouldn't the gear lock and steering lock hamper the warranty of the new car? Say an alto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramki067 (Post 410065)
Wouldn't the gear lock and steering lock hamper the warranty of the new car? Say an alto.

Its just an added safety.. It does not hamper the warranty..in fact your insurance can comedown more if you show the guys that you have all these safety features also installed..

Godfather

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godfather (Post 410076)
Its just an added safety.. It does not hamper the warranty..in fact your insurance can comedown more if you show the guys that you have all these safety features also installed..

Godfather

Thanks. Can you suggest a good Gear and Steering Lock for the Alto. My budget is around 3K and also if possible the place where can i find it in Bangalore?

Hi Ramki
You have revived a pretty old thread i must say.

I think Autocop gear locks are ok, so are the steering lock. They are of "Terminator" brand.

Happened to read this post today...!!! Though out of topic, which area in Gurgaon is high theft probability zone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dceite (Post 53143)
No it cant be prank... mine is a high theft probability zone, so much so that people fasten their cars with iron chains to a grill or tree or something...

Xenos has gear locks too. Contact details here:
List of supported cars & price here:

Somebody who has experience with Xenos can comment on the product.

SAP: I read with great interest and amusement your hypothetical apprehensions about the possibility of the car being driven in reverse to some isolated/convinient place and then pick the lock at leisure and then drive away to glory.

My 2 cents on this subject:

My friend's father (now no more) who retired as IGP and had done a lot of profiling of car thieves, ordinary thieves, dacoits etc. gave me this advice that I feel still holds true. He said that a thief would steal a car or break a lock only if he can accomplish this in the first 5 to 7 minutes. If it takes longer then he lets it go and sets his sight on something easier.

This was corroborated to me by a psychiatrist who conducted counselling sessions in Tihar Jail, Delhi a few years ago. So this surmises that although there is no foolproof method to prevent theft, multiple levels of deterrent that are time consuming would be helpful.

Secondly, coming to the gear-lock issue, (I also use one) I follow a very typical practice. I always try to park my beast facing forward so that the back faces a wall or tree or some obstacle and then engage the gear lock in reverse. Thus even if somebody gets in starts the car and try to drive in reverse, shall have to first tackle the obstacle..:-)

Finally, to quote you - "but I have driven long through a whole street in reverse without anyone raising an eyebrow(!)" no body might have raised an eyebrow, but must have watched you in amusement or in annoyance. Anything out of the ordinary is bound to attract attention...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sAP (Post 93740)
Hmm.. interesting. So with the gear-lock in place, someone CAN actually drive away the car in the gear its in... in reverse at the worst case (*not convenient but still possible*) to a more convenient location and try to pick the lock without breaking the device. (*I am thinking hypothetically here... but I have driven long through a whole street in reverse without anyone raising an eyebrow(!).. so I it can't be much of a deterrent*)

Anybody who has Xenos please!

I happened to venture into this thread today when I received a pvt. msg. that a post of mine has been deleted from this thread (*wonder which one*). Thanks gd1418, I found it amusing myself when I read it today too. Also, I am sure the info you gave will be helpful.

Just so that we don't miss out on the big picture, the point being made is to have multiple levels of security.

sAP

Hi friends,

Sorry to hear about your story.

What i think ?

- the thief could be having a small kid....... who can starech his hand and open the lock and then they did whatever wanted to do ?
- or maybe he wanted to steal the ECU ? which is also located above the GLOVE box compartment .......
- or he might have entered your car and might have forgotten the tools or something and could be possible LADY LUCK was on your side ?

Thats what i can think of the moment........ I am actually thinking like a thief ...when i was writting down the above.

Tnx n Rgds
P4C

@Sap: Even If U use the clutch to drive away, how can U steer with the Steering wheel locked by the ignition key???