Team-BHP - What Fuel Type do you use for your Indian Cars "Normal OR Premium"
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   What Fuel Type do you use for your Indian Cars "Normal OR Premium" (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/40460-what-fuel-type-do-you-use-your-indian-cars-normal-premium-8.html)

I have tried filling various sorts of fuel in my petrol swift and i find absolutely no difference. So its Normal petrol for me, as i find it hard to justify 2-3 Rupees extra per liter.
I wonder though if Speed 97 (97 octane fuel) makes any difference, I have never tried it on my car as the price difference is quite significant, but i remember trying it on my friends Superbike (R1) after normal fuel and the difference was immediately felt.

At least one is sure that he gets good quality when he buys the premium and it make a difference, Most of the time I use Xtra premium for my Swift.

It totally depends on the car. The Owner's Manual of the car mentions the best suited fuel type.

Piyush, you don't get better unadulterated quality when you chose Premium or Regular.

That quality depends on the petrol pump.

Just wondering as to when with the oil PSUs start selling Premium as per BS4/BS3 specs (95RON). All this stuff XtraPremium (Premium, my foot!), Speed, Power is simply BS2 Premium (93RON). For all I know within tolerances regular (93RON) and so called Premium (93RON) are the same stuff.

If they cannot provide Premium as per specs then IOC should immediately drop the word Premium!

@sgiitk, I agree with you ^^. This is daylight robbery by oil PSUs, a cheap marketing gimmick to fleece customers.

Spike

Quote:

Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild (Post 2321273)
PSU are selling Normal fuel which is 91 Octane and the premium fuels being sold are also 91 Octane plus additives atleat thats what HPCL does.

BS4 norms have no regulations or norms for octane ratings As per my knowledge

I slipped in writing 93 in place of 91RON for regular. IOC XP was 93RON.

BS4 is derived from EuroIV with very minor changes which defines Premium as 95RON. This is is why many mid end cars ask for 95RON (Civic in Europe, VWs when the test units came from Germany, ...).

The cheating became obvious when six years ago, IOC stopped advertising XP as High Octane. This was when BS3 came in in select cities. Obviously someone know something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aadix (Post 2322691)
sure rider60, its on the same line as the gachibowli shell outlet from what i have heard. haven't gone yet. comes before the shell outlet if you are going from shaikpet side and after shell bunk if you going from gachibowli side. please do give a update on the price if you go for a refuel.

Tanked up my RS this morning with speed 97. Its priced at 79 bucks a litre and is expected to go up with the price hike coming up.

Its tad too expensive. Last time I have filled up it was 68 bucks a litre which was about 10 months or so back.

Cheers,

AS per the document in the link below, BS IV compliant pumps are supposed to sell on ly 91 and 95 RON fuels. Not sure if it is implemented by them.

http://www.iocl.com/Products/MS_BS_I...0_Current_.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbhiJ (Post 2188176)
Experts can correct if I am wrong, but its not mandatory that you fill so called "premium fuels" in your Safari.

As long as the fuel is of good quality, you can use the fuel in your Bs4 safari.

If required you can also add fuel additives additionally.

Dont use premium diesel. You can use System-D which many had found to be good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by basilmabraham (Post 2188768)
Normal Petrol for the i10 and normal Diesel for the Fiesta.

Both are new cars and the authorised service center recommended normal fuel in both cases. So following their advice.

Had tried premium Diesel for a while on the Palio but did not see much difference, so reverted back to normal Diesel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 (Post 2188791)
Normal Diesel for my VDi and only normal diesel for my Fortuner. Earlier used only premium diesel for my lancer and results were good,better NVH, mileage. Somehow not that confident of using it in my cars now...

I have heard people saying the same when they use premium diesel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by msdivy (Post 2188832)
Normal Petrol always. Tried premium (Shell, IOC & BP) didn't find any difference.

Big difference in bike and my car. Big!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 2321631)
I slipped in writing 93 in place of 91RON for regular. IOC XP was 93RON.

BS4 is derived from EuroIV with very minor changes which defines Premium as 95RON. This is is why many mid end cars ask for 95RON (Civic in Europe, VWs when the test units came from Germany, ...).

So, normal is 91 and Extra is 93?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 2381741)
So, normal is 91 and Extra is 93?

Xtra Premium was 93 RON long back, not anymore. Now all branded premium fuels, except Speed 97 of BP are 91 RON, same as their normal fuels. There used to be a speed 93, but not anymore I think.

How Oil companies can do it?

Oil companies stop producing premium petrol, diesel
Source : ET, 15 Oct

Quote:

"Sales are almost nil zero," Indian Oil Corp's Director Marketing Makrand Nene said at the Petrotech 2012 Conference here. "There are no buyers (of premium diesel or petrol) at these prices."
well, If you don't sell it at all, how one can buy it!

I've personally witnessed it, gone to a HP station couple of times for HP Power and they say they haven't received it after the price hike.

Is this move going to spur the sales of fuel additives and so called octane boosters? None of them work the way they are supposed to anymore. Besides how are all the new gen engines supposed to run without Speed 97? Aventadors, Porsches etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasoo (Post 2381467)
AS per the document in the link below, BS IV compliant pumps are supposed to sell only 91 and 95 RON fuels. Not sure if it is implemented by them.

There is no 95RON in India as far as I know.

Afaik Speed-97 from BP is the only higher octane fuel (97 RON).