Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2017, 19:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Re registering a used car within the same state

Bumping in the old thread. My problem is not exactly this, but nonetheless regarding registration in the same state but different RTOs.

I've booked a car in mumbai, while I stay in another district of maharashtra. The dealer says he himself will register the car in thane and give me the car with number plates belonging to my RTO. Is this even possible? How can he produce permanent number for a different rto while sitting in mumbai?

I had thought he'll release the car with temporary registration/CRTM(whatever they call it) after which I'll take the car at our regional rto for permanent passing, but the dealer says I only need to go there for verification of documents and that he will give the number plates for this rto from mumbai itself.

I am taking all this with loads of salt. Is he taking me on a ride? Your valuable guidance is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11th February 2017, 01:15   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The registration boundary or RTO is based on the address (of the owner) provided. So if the dealer produces an address of the owner (you) as residing in Thane, then you'll get the number from that RTO. I hope I answered you or is your question different?

My understanding is, Thane has a lower tax limit and hence the dealer is trying to register your car there? I read sometime back that the cops were hunting down such cars which are registered outside the city limits, but used within the city always - not sure this is still happening. It's better to find out and avoid if there are checks happening still.

-----------------

I have also read some people holding onto their preferred (premium) numbers while selling the car. I believe the new owner then has to apply for a new number and pay the taxes again? Can someone provide some insights into this?
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 10:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
^^ The registration boundary or RTO is based on the address (of the owner) provided. So if the dealer produces an address of the owner (you) as residing in Thane, then you'll get the number from that RTO. I hope I answered you or is your question different
Thanks mate. I'm not based at thane or mumbai. My address is of a completely different rto territory which has no octroi applicable. Rto charges is not my concern at all.

What's worrying me is the tall claims of sales guy that he will deliver the car with permanent number plates from our rto which is 500kms away

I know this is not possible for him. He has to release the car on temporary passing/crtm after which I'll register the car at my rto, but how do I put this into his head? The dealership is very new( barely 3 months) and guess the staff is amateur. When I try to explain him that he can't do permanent passing of my car at thane, he thinks I am trying to reduce his profit margins
Old 11th February 2017, 11:25   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokinetic View Post
...What's worrying me is the tall claims of sales guy that he will deliver the car with permanent number plates from our rto which is 500kms away...
The RTO guys are not straightforward, neither are the dealerships. So, everything is possible. My room mate didn't even have an address proof, they still got his vehicle registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokinetic View Post
...He has to release the car on temporary passing/crtm after which I'll register the car at my rto, but how do I put this into his head? ...
Be stern, tell him what you requirements and say you don't need anything more in terms of registration. You could avoid paying the road tax to them which will put an end to the enthusiasm I guess.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 12:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The RTO guys are not straightforward, neither are the dealerships. So, everything is possible.
Suppose the dealer manages to get an rto number from my rto territory while the car is in mumbai, should I even be bothered as long as the number belongs from the correct rto office? Whatever crook ways is he using, will that affect me?
Old 11th February 2017, 12:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

First of all why are you buying from a Thane dealer. Even applicable taxes are higher, though VAT at 13.5% is same in entire MH LBT 3% for upto 10 lakhs and 5% for above 10 Lakhs is applicable. For vehicles sold to an adress outside LBT limit, only 10% of applicable amount is to be paid. This will be 0.3% or 0.5%. Buy from dealerships in districts where LBT is not applicable at all, ie Satara, Sindudurg, etc. Some dealers have other outlets in places where LBT is not applicable.

Rahul
Old 11th February 2017, 12:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
First of all why are you buying from a Thane dealer. Even applicable taxes are higher, though VAT at 13.5% is same in entire MH LBT 3% for upto 10 lakhs and 5% for above 10 Lakhs is applicable. For vehicles sold to an adress outside LBT limit, only 10% of applicable amount is to be paid. This will be 0.3% or 0.5%. Buy from dealerships in districts where LBT is not applicable at all, ie Satara, Sindudurg, etc. Some dealers have other outlets in places where LBT is not applicable.

Rahul
Agree. Would've never looked so far if fiat dealership network was not so sparse. I myself live in no LBT zone. This dealer beat almost all dealers I enquired with by a healthy margin of 25k minimum. Response was quick and fair deal given in one go compared to others.
Old 11th February 2017, 13:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Just asked an RTO officer about your issue.
He says there is a provision for dealers official to take the car to nearest RTO office for inspection on their trade number, and then only take the necessary papers and the inspection certificate to the rural RTO at place of registration for tax and registration purpose.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 14:31   #24
BHPian

I remember the sales guy was saying something similar but I did not believe him at that time. Now, after reading your reassuring post I'll patiently listen to him what he is upto. Thanks a lot.
Old 3rd June 2017, 12:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Just asked an RTO officer about your issue.
He says there is a provision for dealers official to take the car to nearest RTO office for inspection on their trade number, and then only take the necessary papers and the inspection certificate to the rural RTO at place of registration for tax and registration purpose.

Rahul
So is this also applicable for private users who purchases a used car from a different district or RTO but within same state ?

Meaning can I purchase a 2nd hand car registered in different RTO within the same state and re-register it to a number corresponding to my RTO. Since the vehicle is within the same state I believe I do not have to pay the road tax again too.
Old 13th September 2017, 13:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
... the vehicle is within the same state I believe I do not have to pay the road tax again too.
I have this exact question. I am keen to know this answer.
Old 29th October 2018, 01:47   #27
BHPian

Hello ppl! Could anyone shed some light?
Old 18th September 2021, 13:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
So is this also applicable for private users who purchases a used car from a different district or RTO but within same state ?

Meaning can I purchase a 2nd hand car registered in different RTO within the same state and re-register it to a number corresponding to my RTO. Since the vehicle is within the same state I believe I do not have to pay the road tax again too.
Bumping an old thread, seeking an answer to the same.

Most Viewed