Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2008, 19:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Re registering a used car within the same state

Hi,
I was wondering if we could re register a 2nd hand car in the same state. By re register i mean get a new registration number.

I hope this is the right section for this thread if not mods please do the needful.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2008, 20:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

I do not think this is allowed.
Old 8th June 2008, 20:40   #3
BHPian

I don't think this is possible. All you can do is register it in a different state if you got a relative and then re-register back in your state but you do it only after 6months to 1yr. I am not very sure. But this whole process is very tedious and you might end up spending more then expected.
Old 8th June 2008, 21:36   #4
BHPian

As per my knowledge, it is not allowed, because of the following reasons.

Registration number of a vehicle is tied to the vehicle, and not to owner. Chassis number and engine number are tied to registration number.

Allotment of a registration number means that life tax(or yearly tax in case of commercial vehicles) is paid for the vehicle.
Since transfer of ownership doesn't involve re-payment of road tax in the same state, number doesn't change, whereas if you take it a different state, you will re-pay the life tax, hence you get a new number.
Old 9th June 2008, 02:49   #5
BHPian

i think it can be done if you are in the same state but different rto region from the region in which the vehicle was registered. for example if you buy a 2nd hand vehicle from maharashtra in the rto region of pune it will have the no. mh 12 XXXXX and if you stay in bombay rto zone then you might be able to re-register i.e. get a new no. such as mh 01 XXXXX. I think this is possible but i am not sure. please confirm from elsewhere.
Old 9th June 2008, 08:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
i think it can be done if you are in the same state but different rto region from the region in which the vehicle was registered.
Do I have to pay the life tax again or just the registration charges ?
Old 9th June 2008, 08:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
i think it can be done if you are in the same state but different rto region from the region in which the vehicle was registered. for example if you buy a 2nd hand vehicle from maharashtra in the rto region of pune it will have the no. mh 12 XXXXX and if you stay in bombay rto zone then you might be able to re-register i.e. get a new no. such as mh 01 XXXXX. I think this is possible but i am not sure. please confirm from elsewhere.

Hi
Well you cannot do that either no matter what number you have a MH 04 or MH 12 or MH 02 registered number you cannot change it at all, I am saying this from my own experience.
I bought an OHC number MH 04 ****** & got it registered in Andheri RTO but the number does not change, it only shows in the RTO book that the octroi for the same is paid, thats it.

Rgds
Old 9th June 2008, 10:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

in AP, u can.. change it to a taxi plate.. then back to a private plate with a new number.. u have to pay the % of the life tax again depending on the age of the vehicle.

many people have been doing this,esp before selling cars which have met with a huge accident or something similar.
aadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2008, 11:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
This is not possible.
Because, within state, since you are not re-paying life tax.
Only the jurisdiction of the vehicle changes.

For example, if I purchased a vehicle registered in KA-01, and I stay in jurisdiction of KA-03, I need to get it registered in my name at KA-03
But, I need a "no-objection certificate" from KA-01 which says that there are no pending cases against the vehicle.
Old 9th June 2008, 14:10   #10
BHPian

But isnt re registration compuslory for vehicle older than 15 years or something like that?
Old 9th June 2008, 15:37   #11
BHPian

a long time ago, one of my dad's friends had his conti (with an old style maharashtra regn no - three letters and 4 digits) re-registered to a MH-01 no. of course this was in the mid 90s and also i'm not sure which rto it was registered with before.

* i think it had a regn number from maharashtra before. why don't you go to a driving school (who should have an agent) and ask them what the procedure is? i *think* it should be possible. i am planning on doing this for my ikon which currently has a KA-01 number. if i can i'll be re-registering in the same RTO. so i should find out about this soon enough. keep me posted if you get to know anything. i'll let you know if i'm first
silver_shadow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2008, 15:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

There was an option sometime back to get a new number after the vehicle reaches 15 years & has to get a Fitness certificate. Don't think it is allowed anymore.
Old 9th June 2008, 19:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
There was an option sometime back to get a new number after the vehicle reaches 15 years & has to get a Fitness certificate. Don't think it is allowed anymore.
i don't think my dad's friend's car was that old at the time.

but recently one of his other friends had to get it done because of the 15 yr rule (i think that was the reason) - this was as recently as 2k2 or so.
Old 9th June 2008, 19:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
in AP, u can.. change it to a taxi plate.. then back to a private plate with a new number.. u have to pay the % of the life tax again depending on the age of the vehicle.

many people have been doing this,esp before selling cars which have met with a huge accident or something similar.
Thanks for clarifying aadix
Old 10th June 2008, 19:17   #15
BHPian

I want to change the registration number of my car. Is it possible ? I am not moving anywhere, just want to change the number. Could anyone clarify ?
CheeseGuy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks