Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2008, 17:11   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
You have to read my post again
Thank you, I did. I am sorry about the mix up. Both meters could be calibrated differently.

So what next? Try the same test on NV?

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 17th June 2008 at 17:14.
Old 17th June 2008, 17:13   #32
BHPian

My 2004 Palio , I never had a problem with mileage, I constantly get 13 - 14 in City , and the best I have on highways is 18 - Keeping speeds under 100.
Old 17th June 2008, 23:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Guys, please see Autocar reviews. They measure speed distance etc with their own equipment. They would have pointed out in their reviews. Anyone preserved the new WagonR review which was published around 2 years back? Or Santro reviews?

@E_T, one question. Is your car a post Brazilian-speedo production? Because it is a well known story that the older Palios had Brazilian speedos and odos and were incorrectly caliberated.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 17th June 2008 at 23:36.
Old 17th June 2008, 23:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Guys, please see Autocar reviews. They measure speed distance etc with their own equipment. They would have pointed out in their reviews. Anyone preserved the new WagonR review which was published around 2 years back? Or Santro reviews?
Do you want to trust magazines or your own calculations? I would prefer the latter.

Quote:
@E_T, one question. Is your car a post Brazilian-speedo production? Because it is a well known story that the older Palios had Brazilian speedos and odos and were incorrectly caliberated.
Mine is pre-nv and hence the brazilian spec odo and speedo.
Old 17th June 2008, 23:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you want to trust magazines or your own calculations? I would prefer the latter.
Me too. But suspecting because GPS is still new in India. And trusting Autocar because they use professional quality instruments.

OT: Sorry for this, but I don't trust a Nokia also. Somehow.

Quote:
Mine is pre-nv and hence the brazilian spec odo and speedo.
OT2: I also heard that fiat replaced all old speedo console for free. Didn't they do it to your car?

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 17th June 2008 at 23:58.
Old 18th June 2008, 00:03   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Thanks for enlightening me, nitrouuuuuus.
Any idea what was the Brazilian tyre spec and the Indian one ?

BTW, just wondering whether the MUL engineers would have calibrated the odo of the 2 Baleno versions to match the 2 different tyre/rim sizes. I don't think any other manufacturer gives 2 different tyre/rim sizes for variants of the same car - can't get any stupider than this.

As long as the outer circumference of the tires remains the same you can have 13,14,15,16 inch wheels and still have a normally reading odometer.

The Brazilian Palio GTX was shod with 185/60R14 tires which has slightly smaller circumference than my car which has 175/65R14. Fuel efficiency takes a hit only in start and go traffic due to the mass of the vehicle. On highways the fuel efficiency is very close to my father in laws old Petrol Maruti Zen and my fathers Santro. In the city(Cochin) my GTX(9.8km/liter) is no match as far as fuel efficiency is concerned compared to the other two which consistently give above 11 and near about 13 occasionally.

I have lost track of fuel efficiency figures as I use LPG and have been using it for the past 4 years. LPg fuel effiecncy is about 9km/liter in the city and on the highway 12 to 14km/liter. No variation with the AC on.
Old 18th June 2008, 00:07   #37
BHPian

My car Accent viva has tyre specification 185/60 R14 whereas in general accent it is 175 / 70 R13.
So are the Speedometer and odometer calliberated accordingly by Hyundai for Accent Gle and viva.
If not what difference would I get?
Old 18th June 2008, 01:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Me too. But suspecting because GPS is still new in India. And trusting Autocar because they use professional quality instruments.

What do you mean 'GPS is new in India'? They are a set of satellites orbiting the space sending out microwave signals which every GPS receiver uses to lock onto a position. Besides even if the GPS isnt 100% accurate which it isnt, the error is same for every car is tested it with.
Why dont you read more about GPS here
Global Positioning System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
OT2: I also heard that fiat replaced all old speedo console for free. Didn't they do it to your car?
Now when did that happen... I have never heard of this before.
Old 18th June 2008, 02:52   #39
Team-BHP Support

Just so that all you guys know, the speeds that you see on the Palio do not come from the wheels. Neither does the RPM. All the values in analog that you see are sent from the ECU.

Continue with your discussion. Thanks.
Old 18th June 2008, 04:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Just so that all you guys know, the speeds that you see on the Palio do not come from the wheels. Neither does the RPM. All the values in analog that you see are sent from the ECU.
Where does the ECU get the speed inputs from?
Old 18th June 2008, 10:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

So much for a discontinued car.

Seeing at the claimed FE figures, time to sell my Maruti, and head to nearest TATA-Fiat Showroom!
Old 18th June 2008, 10:25   #42
BHPian

Wow!

Atleast the reality. Well, having used pre -NV 1.2 Palio, i must say the mileage we [me+my dad] were getting was 12-13. This was without AC. And the figures look decent.

Gem of a car, but the resale really torn us apart........
Old 18th June 2008, 16:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ha ha.

Sorry but your post makes me wonder.

a. GPS is new? Been used to land planes for almost decades now. think of it, accuracy that enables predator drones/israelis to accurately target moving vehicles and its NEW? ha ha. Excuse me! His phone would have 5m accuracy. Please consult specs before one makes such grossly inaccurate statements.

b. Autocar using professional quality instruments. guahahaha. Strike two. Sir, autocar would MAX use a GPS wonlee. What "professional quality instruments" would you surmise they use?

c. Nokia not trusting? Sir, these are standard industry chipsets. Nokia wouldn't be bothered to manufacture one - they'd have integrated it like plug n play.

I know this test is counterintuitive for many, but some reason in the response wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 18th June 2008, 16:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Continue with your discussion. Thanks.
And how does it matter in the current scheme of things? Besides I knew this beforehand, because everytime I turn on the ignition on in my Palio, the needle would come up to 'zero' position.
Besides when you go for pollution test, they hook up an instrument on some wire under the bonnet(may be the ignition wire to check out the number of pulses being sent and hence the rpm) to see the current rpm because they need to check the pollution at low and high rpm both.
Old 18th June 2008, 17:03   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Besides when you go for pollution test, they hook up an instrument on some wire under the bonnet(may be the ignition wire to check out the number of pulses being sent and hence the rpm) to see the current rpm because they need to check the pollution at low and high rpm both.

In bangalore, whenever I go for pollution checkup, they don't connect anything under bonnet. Just put the CO sensor in the silencer, read the readings and that's all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks