Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 01:01   #16
BHPian

I forgot, the Aveo is not only to compete against Fiesta but also the SX4 and the Linea whenever it is launched. And it is said that SX4 will get a 1.9 Mjd and even the Linea(hope this news is true, for both) so i doubt that GM will settle for anything less if they want to stay in the competition.
As far as the Fiesta 1.4 duratorq is concerned, as you say may be the 1.3 MJD is better!
Old 25th June 2008, 08:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Aveo sedan will not get any styling changes mostly as that model is still pretty new and recently launched in other markets including the US of A

the UV_A will get the new look.. and mostly both the cars will get 1.3MJd.
True. Unlike for the Kalos hatch, there is no revised styling yet for the sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And I'm wondering why Magnum didnt take off, inspite of being an excellent package. Guess GM is delaying things too far!

With Swift having waiting periods, U-VA stands a good chance. Hope GM acts fast.
@ Crazy: its my guess that the nose job of Magnum was a let down but then people don't really worry about cosmetic surgery, do they? And I guess, there is also the news that Optra has been around for long enough and it may be due for replacement. Its always quite complex with the cars from Indian stable of GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That rumour was about the new facelift, which has already happened a few days ago. But the engine changes were not as expected and there is no 1.6 diesel.
There still may be a delayed launch of 1.6. There was someone on this forum whose cousin was a highly placed marketing exec at Ford India. Can the man get us the news we're waiting for?

So net net, this is going to be an opportunity lost for GM (again!).

BH.
Old 25th June 2008, 09:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Yes they are I think. All Auto Mags & Car Shows say that they will launch it. I do not see any reason why they would not.

I think it is a stunner and should be a hit unlike its Petrol counterpart, which I simply fail to understand why it never took off.
IMHO, the Aveo is infact a nice all round package (styling, space, etc.,), but didnt really take off due to being a PETROL, un-enthusiastic engine+gearbox (both 1.4 & 1.6), GM brand value (pricing inconsistencies), perceived A.S.S, poor NCAP safety rating (not sure if car buyers really attach an importance though) & resale.
Old 25th June 2008, 14:39   #19
BHPian

I agree with AirWind on that.

In fact I believe there are two kind of buyers. General buyers with general car requirement of a car with a specific budget in mind follow the heard mentaility and go for a popular choice. Here the popular brands/cars edge out like NHC,SX4. Other buyers (mostly found at TBhp) have very specific requirement and Aveo being an overall complete package but lacking that extra punch as in Verna(Diesel), Fiesta. Also, the VFM proposition for Aveo is only just when you compare it with other cars in its segment. So even it being a good car doesnt score much after all consideration. Also, the GM badge and its ***, resale value, change of models( as it happen so often for GM cars) hasnt helped its case.

In fact if Aveo has to have a Diesel engine it can work wonders for GM and particularly for Aveo sales numbers which can help Aveo (petrol) branding as well. Hopefully GM wake up to this requirement sooner than later.

PS: The opinion give above is totally based on my limited exposure to automobiles and not directed to any of the car owners and co-TBhpians.
Old 25th June 2008, 14:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
I forgot, the Aveo is not only to compete against Fiesta but also the SX4 and the Linea whenever it is launched. And it is said that SX4 will get a 1.9 Mjd and even the Linea(hope this news is true, for both) so i doubt that GM will settle for anything less if they want to stay in the competition.
As far as the Fiesta 1.4 duratorq is concerned, as you say may be the 1.3 MJD is better!
You forgot to mention the Verna. Now, if customers bought cars based only on horse power and torque figures, the Verna would win hands down. Buyers look at other factors like fuel efficiency, comfort/refinement, A.S.S, word-of-mouth and user reviews.

There is also the option of a VGT version of the said 1.3 diesel which may/may not be offered in the SX4/Aveo/Linea.
Old 25th June 2008, 20:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

A diesel will take an almost perfect car and turn it into a perfect one. Its got killer looks, awesome interior and awesome ride quality and legroom in the back. I hope they can replace that clunky gearshift also.
Old 25th June 2008, 21:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Diesel Aveo would be a killer

The Aveo already has good looks, nice interiors and interior space.

Is it possible that the diesel aveo can come with a 90bhp engine close to 6.75 lakhs?

I'm waiting patiently for the Grande Punto, but it seems like ever.. Will the Diesel Aveo come before october or november?
Old 25th June 2008, 21:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
The Aveo already has good looks, nice interiors and interior space.

Is it possible that the diesel aveo can come with a 90bhp engine close to 6.75 lakhs?

I'm waiting patiently for the Grande Punto, but it seems like ever.. Will the Diesel Aveo come before october or november?

if you are waiting for the grande punto then,i think by that time there will be some announcement,because of festive season..if it is announced then you wait for some more days,right?
Old 10th July 2008, 12:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
IMHO, the Aveo is infact a nice all round package (styling, space, etc.,), but didnt really take off due to being a PETROL, un-enthusiastic engine+gearbox (both 1.4 & 1.6), GM brand value (pricing inconsistencies), perceived A.S.S, poor NCAP safety rating (not sure if car buyers really attach an importance though) & resale.
This thought stayed with me. But you know what, I seem to notice a lot more Aveos these days on the road in bangalore these days. Also, I work in ITPL and notice a lot of Aveos parked. Is it just me or have the sales of Aveo increased considerably?
Old 10th July 2008, 15:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
This thought stayed with me. But you know what, I seem to notice a lot more Aveos these days on the road in bangalore these days. Also, I work in ITPL and notice a lot of Aveos parked. Is it just me or have the sales of Aveo increased considerably?
I am not sure if it has increased considerably. But, yes I too see many Aveo's around here. May be the only sales for Aveo is in bangalore
Old 10th July 2008, 15:10   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I can't fathom why GM doesn't use the Fiat 1.3 multijet for the Aveo. In fact, they even paid toward its development costs and have open access toward using that engine. An outsider like Maruti has gone ahead and launched the car....heck, they are sitting on 3 month waiting lists.

Or maybe the Indian market is not too important for GM?
Old 10th July 2008, 15:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
May be the only sales for Aveo is in bangalore
Yeah, looks like it! I just checked the domestic sales sheet and the numbers for Aveo don't look too good. May be, Bangalore has a disproportionate share of the Aveo sales..or may be, our sample size is wrong!!
Old 10th July 2008, 16:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Going by what a diesel option and a cosmetic upgrade did for the Optra, GM would do well to bring the face lifted Aveo/U-VA with that 1.3 MJD, as quick as they can!
Old 11th July 2008, 16:27   #29
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I can't fathom why GM doesn't use the Fiat 1.3 multijet for the Aveo. In fact, they even paid toward its development costs and have open access toward using that engine. An outsider like Maruti has gone ahead and launched the car....heck, they are sitting on 3 month waiting lists.

Or maybe the Indian market is not too important for GM?
neither does GM worry about the Indian market, nor do its dealers bother about the customer. very sad state of affairs for GM. After they killed the opel, i dont have the confidence that they will continue supporting a vehicle after a few years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks