Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What's your take on Odd & Even traffic?
Yes this will make my life easy 2 2.70%
Somewhat my life may get easy 7 9.46%
No this will make my life hell 65 87.84%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2008, 18:01   #16
BHPian

This would be a band aid idea- sort of like rationing public space (road) based on some weird criteria. It will not fix the problem- that of poor infrastructure, poorer civic sense and stupidity in policy making. We are slower in creating infrastructure than in utilizing it, meaning that we are always behind the ball trying to catch up. I cannot for the life of me understand how a flyover can take two years to construct, or road widening five years whatever be the distance. Why are we so slow in execution, any ideas?
Old 7th July 2008, 18:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

First develop public transport. Issue a GO where only not less than three people - excuding driver - can be travelled in a car.
Old 7th July 2008, 22:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsejars View Post
An easier option: Ban all truck movement (or better still any goods carrier that can carry > 1 ton except those that carry perishables) within city limits between 8AM and 10PM.
This may not be possible in the Indian model as we have too many retailers, shop keepers, small scale industries, smaller constructions that need to fetch material separately. In developed countries everything is large scale so the point of delivery are fewer.

One thing towards which we are moving are large apartment towers, super malls which will eliminate smaller shops, industries, construction sites and clear up some of the traffic! I hope.
Old 7th July 2008, 23:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

My Vote : NEVER

This will just make the traffic scene from bad to worse. Reasons mentioned below

1. People will start buying 2 vehicles. 1 with odd number and the other with even. So this multiplies the vehicle count.
2. Parking menace: It will worsen the already worse parking scenario in metros. In Mumbai, with inadequate parking space, people park their cars on roads and even on Footpaths.
3. How do you control this? Our RTO is unable to manage the laws already in place. How do we expect them to keep a control on whether vehicles nos are odd/even. Never. Forget about Automation. The Thread on Dummy RTO Officer, started by GTO, already reflects the state of automation and the level to which it has been made to use with its current head count.
Old 7th July 2008, 23:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

No way! Will not be a good idea for India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
First develop public transport. Issue a GO where only not less than three people - excuding driver - can be travelled in a car.
Hey dude, what will singles and couples do?

Simply said,
1)Have better infrastructure
2)Encourage EV vehicles. Ya, the progress might be pretty slow, but govt must encourage it somehow.
Old 7th July 2008, 23:48   #21
Team-BHP Support

The popular sentiment here on this thread is against the idea. However, 2 people have voted in favour. Would love to hear their thought behind this.

Has any of them posted here ?
Old 7th July 2008, 23:51   #22
BHPian

I voted for "NO". My present car number is even and this rule will force me to buy one more car with a odd number. The government should first provide better roads and public transportation facilities. Later they can dream of implementing a rule like this. If such a rule is implemented i think more vehicles will come on road and the government babus at RTO's will make more money in providing the required (even or odd) registration numbers to the vehicle owners.
Old 8th July 2008, 01:24   #23
BHPian

There is growing consciousness about these things and though they may sound good in practice the situation in Indian cities is totally different and we will have to work a bit harder than import solutions that work in modern, infrastructure rich, and super developed cities in the west.

None of our cities can be called modern or developed on any parameter. We have people who are supposed to take care of things like planning and infrastructure but anyone who lives in Bombay or visits can see from the city that the administration, politician and builder lobby have feasted on the gold rush of real estate hence the current mess. We are also a poor overpopulated country and so can't keep pace or afford infrastructure requirements. Because of this its basically every man for himself and introducing an odd even rule will penalize who have no options and reward those who can afford 2 cars and because of wealth distribution in India you can bet a large majority of current car owners already own more than one car or can afford a second car and with the Nano out even those who couldn't now can.

What is the solution, its quite simple if you can use a train to get to work comfortably in 25 min would you use a car that would take 2 hours in atrocious traffic, no? Do any of you guys in Bombay enjoy the traffic jams because you like cars or driving? Fuel is wasted, time is wasted and everyone is highly strung. People are on the road because they need to go places, its not a luxury. A simple measure like an effective metro system in Mumbai will take more than 50% of the traffic off the roads instantly. So we need intense forward planning and public infrastructure in cities like Bombay - apart from more long term measures like balanced development across the country to control overcrowding in cities and the more we wait the more expensive, overpopulated and awful quality of life becomes. But nobody is interested in real work in India or it would already have been done. This odd/even rule will just give the illusion of forward thinking and action at zero cost to the administration who have so far demonstrated extraordinary planning incompetence and allow the well off to carry on without so much as blinking while the relatively less well off contemplate the next course of action. Common sense demands we do the basic things right before contemplating more advanced measures.

Last edited by raul : 8th July 2008 at 01:32.
Old 8th July 2008, 01:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

IMO, No.

I sometimes WANT to leave my car home when I go to work (due to traffic etc.), but the fact is I cant get to work efficiently without a car.
Old 8th July 2008, 03:13   #25
Max
BHPian

This will be disaster for commuters. IMO, metros like mumbai needs strict educated RTO offers who take proper test from people (just like colleges) where one have to score 90% before giving driving license.

Mumbai also needs more qualified, educated traffic cops equipped with modern gadgets to track car speed and other offenses. Yes, we need more traffic cops, current number of cops are just not enough to control huge traffic on roads.

Need to say we need better roads ?
Old 8th July 2008, 11:15   #26
BHPian

Cities like singapore & paris have tried this, to some extend they had failures... but the main things is they having infrastructure light years ahead of us still they needed it... don't you think it's right time for us.

May be this system should not be applied...because the existing rules are used by cops to churn out money instead of making their & our life happier & this system will give them more chances...

Everybody is saying we need good educated cops... if alll of us how many of u are willing to take RTO cop as career because we are the educated. Don't worry as I am also one of you.

Some solution is needed may not be this one... but I want all of you to think on this... as I think I have to do it... now I have started car pooling I my Dad & Uncle share one car to come to my office as our offices are located.

In near future when BRTS will start on Pune Mumbai highway I have plans to take that to come to office as daily my time to go home is increasing my 1min.
Old 8th July 2008, 12:21   #27
BHPian

both my car and bike have even numbers :(
Anywaymy answer will always be no. Make Public transport better, and I'll anyway switch over to it.
O.T. Is it possible for us to register a vehicle again?One with even lic number and another with odd. This was we can save on buying another vehicle
Old 8th July 2008, 12:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
both my car and bike have even numbers :(
Anywaymy answer will always be no. Make Public transport better, and I'll anyway switch over to it.
O.T. Is it possible for us to register a vehicle again?One with even lic number and another with odd. This was we can save on buying another vehicle
Hey buddy this can always be restricted by allowing you an even or a odd day license.

Once again there are lots of possibilities to stop any voilations but to ensure that is where we are lacking because its not in our hand or we dont want to take it in our hand.
Old 8th July 2008, 13:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

No offence meant but what's the logic behind deciding that vehicles with odd numbers or even numbers should ply on certain days and not on other days? What about prime numbers?

It would be better if the public transport system is improved significantly. A lot of people use their own modes of transport to avoid hassles with auto's, to avoid using buses where one has to wait for a long time and yet finds most of them crowded. Mostly ladies opt for their own scooters and mopeds due to eve teasers and ill mannered youth in buses and trains.

What is needed is a well structured public transport system like the metro rail, buses which cover all routes and their frequency needs to be high too, safety for all travellers, auto's which are friendly and honest to commuters, etc etc.

This will then reduce dependence on own vehicles for commuting purposes. No point enforcing something which is bound to fail.
Old 8th July 2008, 14:22   #30
BHPian

Quote:
1. People will start buying 2 vehicles. 1 with odd number and the other with even. So this multiplies the vehicle count.
May be even easier. People will have two number plates - one even and one odd - so that car can be used anytime!

More cars means we need more roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks