Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2008, 02:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

My thoughts regarding the Logan "Edge".I wish some manufacturer will introduce a sportier car in the Indian car market. It pains me to see folks getting excited about dull 'econo-box' family sedans with low horsepower, especially among young people, on this site. Worthy as these cars may be and grateful i am that there is variety and improved quality in the Indian auto market, i would like to see a few sporty and economical cars that are available in various markets around the world , be made available to Indian buyers also. Why is it either an "Alto-Beast" or a "Ferrari-Beast".There's a lot in between the two "Beasts". We deserve more, don't we?.
Old 24th July 2008, 05:24   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
My thoughts regarding the Logan "Edge".I wish some manufacturer will introduce a sportier car in the Indian car market. It pains me to see folks getting excited about dull 'econo-box' family sedans with low horsepower, especially among young people, on this site. Worthy as these cars may be and grateful i am that there is variety and improved quality in the Indian auto market, i would like to see a few sporty and economical cars that are available in various markets around the world , be made available to Indian buyers also. Why is it either an "Alto-Beast" or a "Ferrari-Beast".There's a lot in between the two "Beasts". We deserve more, don't we?.
If you mean sporty as in an M3, or even a WRX with all wheel drive, then at those prices we would not see the value, or healthy sales numbers that would sustain. IMHO, even an Alto/Palio with stiffer suspension, performance air filter, performance tires, brakes, a free flow exhaust, plus an optional body kit is something to be really excited about. If Chevy can sell the WRX for 7L that would be awesome.
-GG
Old 24th July 2008, 10:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I feel your pain, but the reality is that whenever manufacturers have tried to introduce something different(eg SRV), they have never seen support from the buyers. It just does not make business sense. Sadly,I don't think it is ever going to change unless we Indians change our price/economy obsession (read never).
Old 24th July 2008, 11:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
when they say better fuel efficiency, what changes could have been done?
Remap the ECU and tune the engine.

Btw, one more change which was desired was the addition of the second reverse indicator in the tail lamps.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
I feel your pain, but the reality is that whenever manufacturers have tried to introduce something different(eg SRV), they have never seen support from the buyers. It just does not make business sense. Sadly,I don't think it is ever going to change unless we Indians change our price/economy obsession (read never).
I second this. And moreover the TBHP crowd cant really be extrapolated to the entire car buying audience in India.

We want sportier cars, but we want them cheap. Add some great FE to that, plus we want it to hold a family of 4 plus some suitcases. And so on and so forth.

Cars like the SRV were supposed to be launched for this Sporty junta. I guess Bangalore took it +vely. Not sure though. But others found it expensive and at that price point wanted a boot!
Old 24th July 2008, 13:13   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
IMHO, even an Alto/Palio with stiffer suspension, performance air filter, performance tires, brakes, a free flow exhaust, plus an optional body kit is something to be really excited about.
Valid point. I can't fathom why more manufacturers do not offer a factory souped-up / sporty variant of their regular hatches / sedans. The OHC Vtec sold respectable numbers, so did the Skoda RS, and more recently, the Hyundai Getz CRDi despite its high price and lack of ABS. The regular variants will bring in the volumes anyways...cheapest brand building exercise if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
whenever manufacturers have tried to introduce something different(eg SRV), they have never seen support from the buyers.
The SRV is a joke of a sporty car, with that lazy engine & gearbox. A substantially cheaper Palio 1.6 or a souped-up Swift will be faster and far more satisfying to drive.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

One more link to news:
Mahindra Renault launches Logan Edge

The article is :

Quote:

NEW DELHI: Car maker Mahindra Renault today launched the limited edition of its passenger car Logan in the country, priced between Rs 5 Lakh and Rs 7.15 Lakh (ex-showroom New Delhi).

The new car, Logan Edge, would be available in both petrol and diesel variants with engine capacities in the range of 1.4 litre to 1.6 litre.

"The new Logan edge is based on extensive customer feedback and is part of our endeavor to offer our consumers the best," Mahindra Renault Pvt Ltd Chief Operating Officer Nalin Mehta told reporters.

The car would come with some additional features like reverse parking censor and better fuel efficiency, he added.

What is so new in the car that it will lead to better fuel effecinecy ?
Is there a new engine or some upgradation to engine ?
Old 24th July 2008, 13:30   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
wiper blades work in the wrong direction i guess ( a la RHD cars )
similarly boot release was on passesnger side. wasnt a dealer fix involving a remote trigger from the driver side made available ?
The orientation of the wiper blades to sweep in the opposite direction - now how does that affect anything? As long as they sweep water off the windshield i think there shouldnt be an issue which direction they sweep in. Didnt the earlier Mercs have a single wiper that swept correctly for the co passenger but was oriented opposite for the driver(Hint - it was inbetween).

I need to know from a design or engineering perspective why the direction of sweep of the wiper blades should be different for LHD and RHD cars.

Boot release: Its on the centre console - isnt it? I remember it being there, looks awkward(a small nipple like rubber) but easy to use.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

lesser wiped area for driver = lesser visiblity
Old 24th July 2008, 13:46   #25
BANNED

Ok makes sense. But by how less? and isnt it the same the opposite way too? I did drive the Logan in pouring rain in Goa, found no difference in visibilty. I drive a company Baleno otherwise. Maybe it does make a difference but does it justify the costs involved in changing the orientation for a car that is supposed to be cheap to buy and use?
Old 1st October 2008, 16:40   #26
BHPian

Logan Edge anybody?

Does anyone here own Logan Edge. I'd taken test drive of logan (diesel) last night and found its engine to be absolutely wonderful, even better than DDiS in terms of power delivery. I've fallen in love with that engine. No turbo lag at all, butter smooth power delivery all the way.
Just want to know if Logan Edge has better interiors (comparable to 8 Lac cars). The on road price for top end diesel seems to be unbeatable in current market

Moderator's note: Thread merged with existing topic. Please use the Search function before starting new threads

Last edited by theMAG : 1st October 2008 at 20:29.
Old 1st October 2008, 20:17   #27
BHPian

Whats the OTR price you are getting?
Old 8th October 2008, 16:02   #28
BHPian

Perhaps Renault will consider selling their latest instead of outdated models in India.
Old 8th October 2008, 19:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

There is nothing 'new' in the 'new collection'. They have made some corrections here and there in their existing variant lineup.

- The changes are more or less what were already on offer in the 'limited' edition Edge. They have just made it 'unlimited' now!
- Two new colours have been introduced.
- The rear head restraints which were present only in the top end variant are now available on all variants. (its a correction to one big foolish mistake they had committed earlier.)
- The remote boot opener is now available in all variants except GLE and DLE (again a correction to a foolish mistake. but i fail to understand why they are still treating it as a luxury)
- The DIS (driver Information system) which was only there in the top end variants has now been introduced in GLX trim as well.

Nothing much has changed. The press releases are just to make a fool out of the aam janta!

But, one thing I am sure of... The marketing of the Logan is headed by a bunch of morons who know nothing about the car. And the guy who makes all the decisions (like the wiper, boot release.. etc etc) is a super moron!!
Old 8th October 2008, 20:36   #30
BHPian

Inthe interview of Renault CEO on CNN IBN (I might be wrong ) he was honest enough to admit the reason for Logan not doing well as it got pitched as a medium segment car while globally it is an entry level car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks