Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2008, 23:35   #16
Team-BHP Support

Palio never made economic sense (Not in the past few years atleast). The resale value, the pathetic sales and spare parts costs have always been against it! Even the MJD hasn't helped to push the sales above 500 mark! Vista would hit it hard, IMO.

However, car per car, Palio will remain the same, whether vista is out in the market or not. If you loved the Palio then, you would love it now also! Forget economics, buy the 1.6 and have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anku View Post
After all Fiat is italian and .....
Did you mean- 'After all FIAT is Italian and- Palio is brazilian'?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th August 2008 at 23:44.
Old 24th August 2008, 23:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Guys, lets not make this another Fiat vs others or Tata vs others thread!

Let's put it this way. Many Palio MJD customers moved on to Swift D and the Getz. Very few moved on to the Indica. Now they have another choice. Simple.

Tata can try and kill the Palio, but then Fiat India should have thought that one out long ago. I guess their cash cow is the Fiat Powertrain Technologies wing at the moment, so they are cashing on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
i have just canceled my decision to go for a Palio

i am sure 100s will do the same now.
CtrlAltDel, Are you sure that there were hundreds of people booking Palio MJDs in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Have you compared the space it gives inside the cabin? A middle class person has a family of 4~5, who is looking for VFM and a diesel hatch, then Vista fills is requirement to the nought. What more, the tata vehicle can be repaired anywhere in India just like MSIL.
Well, I had simply said that the price of spares alone was not enough to make the Vista sell. And the Palio's is not exactly a cramped car either. Maybe the rear of the Swift, but not the Palio.

And that the Vista might not be significantly cheaper than the Palio or Swift in terms of maintenance. At the risk of repeating myself, Palio spares were never expensive earlier. Indica spares used to be more expensive.

I think Swift D maintainance is equally cheap as many would vouch for on this forum itself.

Tata will sell because of pricing and VFM. That's what makes the Indica, Indigo, Safari tick. If they can do it again, great for them! Prospective Palio buyers can put off their buying decisions, I guess, and wait.

Last edited by architect : 24th August 2008 at 23:57.
Old 25th August 2008, 00:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

If you chose a palio over a swift before, you must have had some VERY strong reasons. As long as they werent price/availablity, those reasons are still valid. The indica will appeal to only those who want the swit/splash vdi.Very few things come between a Palio lover and his ride ( As I've seen from these here forums).
Old 25th August 2008, 00:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Don't take this so seriously guys. What is happening here has been existing for a long time in the rest of the world. Almost all cars are related one way or another. One buys a particular car based on one's preferences. If you like FIAT, you will buy one over an Alfa Romeo. Like buying a Mercury Grand Marquis or a Lincoln Town Car. They're almost the same car under the skin. All GM Group cars etc. This is actually good because the price of spares can be standardized. And, makes it easier to repair at an independant mechanic. Good move. Except in India , ofcourse. Anything can happen.
Old 25th August 2008, 01:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post

1. In the case of any Tata vehicle, I would wait for the second version. It's the same story with the Indica V1 (V2 was much better!) and the Safari. I would be wary of buying the first lot / version of any Tata vehicle.

but wouldn't the Indica Vista count as version 3 of the Indica? In which case it should be better than the earlier ones.
From the pics the fit n finish looks a lot better than the previous indica and the indigo CS which I bought in March.

Anyway, back to the question posted, as the saying goes, the proof of the pudding in in the eating.

So for the finer points that lead to eventually liking a car or not such as feel of steering wheel, positioning of ac vents, thud of the doors closing etc you need to check it out for yourself.

IMHO the biggest stumbling block might well turn out to be the re-positioned instrument panel which I don't think I can ever get my head around.

So before cancelling the Palio (or not), do take a TD of the Indica Vista then decide.
Old 25th August 2008, 01:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Guys, lets not make this another Fiat vs others or Tata vs others thread!

Let's put it this way. Many Palio MJD customers moved on to Swift D and the Getz. Very few moved on to the Indica. Now they have another choice. Simple.
Can wait for the Punto to launch too, too see what one'd want to move too.
Old 25th August 2008, 09:20   #22
SuperSyn

Yes the Vista Quadrajet Aura is best car in the segment. I would prefer Vista over Palio anyday. This topic should have a poll.

Old 25th August 2008, 11:05   #23
BHPian

In the Tata-FIAT scheme of things, the Palio is most likely *supposed* to fall by the wayside. FIAT is likely to go for a higher segment. So I would bet put my money on the Linea/GP rather than the Palio.

FIAT is putting energy behind the Palio only till the time GP is launched.
Old 25th August 2008, 13:21   #24
BHPian

according to the tata showroom guys (off the record of corz) Palio might be discontinued soon. Fiat would then own the premium hatch and C+ class with G-Punto and Linea respectively.
Old 25th August 2008, 15:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
according to the tata showroom guys (off the record of corz) Palio might be discontinued soon. Fiat would then own the premium hatch and C+ class with G-Punto and Linea respectively.
I am not sure if that's a good idea, as what ever said and done FIAT doesn't have the same Brand Value in INDIA When compared to the likes of HONDA or even the GM. so FIAT require to have a car which can do numbers and improve the Brand Visibility or attract a Value to the brand.

I suggest they have to look at a way to increase the numbers of PALIO and then ensure the new launches reaches the right audience and also ensure the sales executives promote their cars efficiently, which it lacks badly. (my personnel experience.)
Old 25th August 2008, 16:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread. How about having a poll to this thread? Eventhough the swift DDiS is time tested, it has a huge waiting period. So, lets see if that Gap can be filled in by Vista. It would be interesting to see the sales fig in a month.
Old 25th August 2008, 16:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

I made a poll, but the mods locked it. I'd advice anyone else thinking the same not to :(
Old 25th August 2008, 16:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_fan View Post
I have taken a tough decision after lot of thought and was proud of booking Palio MJD (the best hatch with power and durability) but this launch of Indica Vista with same engine and better features has forced me to think about my decision and will effect Palio resale in a negative way.
To rub some salt into the wound, I read somewhere that Vista will be built in the Tata-Fiat's Ranjangaon plant. i.e. the same plant where Palio MJD is built !!
Old 25th August 2008, 16:36   #29
BHPian

Just came back after seeing Indica Vista, though I didn't had a chance to TD it, I could feel the car.

I liked the looks from front has a BIG car feeling. Once I was in her saddle I felt the Break and Clutch pedals are too high than Palio. Some how I felt the ergonomics is not right for me and missed the tank build.

Palio is going to be there for at least 1.5 yrs or so as per the sales person. Same engine being shared between both Vista & Palio hence less issue on spares even if Palio is being discontinued and have 36 months warranty on hand as well.

Hence made up my mind now. No more deviations going straight for Palio Stile MultiJet. Probably will have the car by 2nd week of Sep if everything goes as per plan.
Old 25th August 2008, 16:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Interesting thread. How about having a poll to this thread? Eventhough the swift DDiS is time tested, it has a huge waiting period. So, lets see if that Gap can be filled in by Vista. It would be interesting to see the sales fig in a month.
Spoke to my dealer, wont get deliveries immediately though he said he will fast track it if I want one (unfortunately cant because of the unfortunate Landmaster experience in Bangalore - else the plan was to have an Indica for mainstream duties while the Land is mostly kept aside for ceremonial sort of duties). You wont see any change in figures for at least 2 months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks