Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2008, 11:19   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith2 View Post
It was sudden. I saw Tyre high water which gradually started increasing and before I knew, the car stalled. Out of sudden desperation and panic, I tried starting it again. I know I shouldn't be starting it. But trust me, it was bad. Late midnight, not a soul around, no lights on the road and a large body of water around you. It was freaking panicky. My cellphone had died on me earlier, so I was marooned.

My bad I guess. Later, the cars around me with some roadside mechanics kept cranking their engines until it died. It was crazy. You would expect these guys to know.

This is my first emoticon ever but I can't express myself better >

Thank God I'm here.
Yes.. I know what you mean, its alright, things like this happen. It will be like a lesson to you, and it might never happen again, jus chill. Remember never to panic, you make the most mistakes when you panic, you also tire yourself out and make judgemental mistakes, ofcourse its better said than done.

If you can call a towing service, call them and get it towed, if it need to be pulled, the steering will work even after the power steering goes conk.
Old 3rd September 2008, 11:29   #17
BHPian

Alright - the service stations have a half day today due to Ganesh Chaturthi. I've been advised to bring the car tomorrow.

Now please help me here:
Quote:
Just of your peace of mind, check the oil dip-stick, if the oil appears to have a layer of foam (creamy white foam, something similar to the froth on coffee) with it, then the water HAS entered the engin

It looks normal. Do you suggest I can still try to do something here or should I just leave the car as-is

Quote:
If you can call a towing service, call them and get it towed, if it need to be pulled, the steering will work even after the power steering goes conk.
It was quite an ordeal last night to steer this dead weight minus the power. I can't imagine doing a smooth turn at all. Is it because of the weight of the car - or the tire girth [radials] ? I've driven amby-minus-power-and all that before - but nothing like this dead weight. It took serious power to do a left turn under manual push by 4-5 people !
Old 3rd September 2008, 11:31   #18

I know what you mean bro...have gone through the same things yesterday. Thankfully the water level wasnt as bad where I was stuck.

Anyway, I suggest getting it towed cause with the car not working, even you brakes will get jammed after some pumping - so getting towed by another car aint a good option.
Old 3rd September 2008, 14:27   #19

It looks normal. Do you suggest I can still try to do something here or should I just leave the car as-is

Leave it as it is. I guess there wont be to much damage, lets keep our fingers crossed. Drop it off at the service station tomorrow...
Old 3rd September 2008, 15:57   #20
BHPian

Leave it as it is.

Its the best option.

RD
Old 3rd September 2008, 17:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Like most people do this mistake, you dont have to start the car.
Never-the-less take the car to the service station and ask them for estimate.
Try to convince them that you did not start the car, because maybe(just maybe ) insurance can be rejected on that point.

P.S A friend's Skoda Octavia faced similar problem and was produced a bill of 2.5 lakh INR
All The best.

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 3rd September 2008 at 17:03.
Old 3rd September 2008, 18:42   #22
BHPian

AGENTSMITH : Verry sorry to hear this happened to you. thats life - a B**ch! now about your car... My uncle, who owns the skoda mercedes showrooms here, said me one thing strictly before monsoons, just as a precuation -

1. If going thru a water pool like this, Switch off AC, with a medium revv, wade thru the water. Dont halt while going thru the water.

2. IF the car stops. NEVER RESTART! if u restart the car, 99.9% you will be in for a new engine replacement! He said me if the car stops - only has to be towed without restarting. If u don't restart, there are still bright chances, but after trying to restart it, gone for good.

They currently have around 30 Superb's , Laura's and Octavia's for new engine replacement.

The other day i was at the BMW workshop, the worksmanager was telling me they have 9 cars waiting new engines. All coz they restarted the car trying to wade thru the water.

I think Insurance will cover it, if u have selected "natural calamity damage" also in it. Now what happens is most insurance agents tick that off, to reduce the premium they ask u, so that you will give in to their quote, than going for a higher quote from competition. but just call them up and ask them, but DO NOT mention your policy number to them. just ask as if u want insurance from them, only if they cover this thing. IF u give them your policy number, they might put in a note that u asked this question, and might be alert to disapprove your claim...

Abhinav Gupta... the bill your friend was produced is unfortunately righteous. That is for a new engine for the octavia.
Old 3rd September 2008, 20:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
AGENTSMITH : Verry sorry to hear this happened to you. thats life - a B**ch! now about your car... My uncle, who owns the skoda mercedes showrooms here, said me one thing strictly before monsoons, just as a precuation -

1. If going thru a water pool like this, Switch off AC, with a medium revv, wade thru the water. Dont halt while going thru the water.

2. IF the car stops. NEVER RESTART! if u restart the car, 99.9% you will be in for a new engine replacement! He said me if the car stops - only has to be towed without restarting. If u don't restart, there are still bright chances, but after trying to restart it, gone for good.

They currently have around 30 Superb's , Laura's and Octavia's for new engine replacement.

The other day i was at the BMW workshop, the worksmanager was telling me they have 9 cars waiting new engines. All coz they restarted the car trying to wade thru the water.

I think Insurance will cover it, if u have selected "natural calamity damage" also in it. Now what happens is most insurance agents tick that off, to reduce the premium they ask u, so that you will give in to their quote, than going for a higher quote from competition. but just call them up and ask them, but DO NOT mention your policy number to them. just ask as if u want insurance from them, only if they cover this thing. IF u give them your policy number, they might put in a note that u asked this question, and might be alert to disapprove your claim...

Abhinav Gupta... the bill your friend was produced is unfortunately righteous. That is for a new engine for the octavia.
Thanks Insane, Rahul, Abhinav, Pranav[naikpranav], Ashthedivx, Sukiwa, Rash_rp, aerohit[who sent me a nice helpful PM, thanks bro] and others who have participated in this thread. You can call me Shashank - I never thought my nick would stick with me on this group :-D so took this funny looking nick.

Insurance: I have it from National, called them up right after the incidence. They have assured help - confirmed in their own govt style that I do have what they called as 'flood insurance'. Still haven't checked if I do have natural calamity insured. Had no idea they could act funny. This is a genuine case and if an insurance company can't help in this case, I don't know why we should be doing insurance in the first case.

The car is still waiting to be towed tomorrow morning. Did nothing funny with it. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 4th September 2008, 15:34   #24
BHPian

Update and Pics

Alright, here's the update:

1: Level of water:

Not too much[below headlights]

Urgent Advice Needed: Honda Civic stuck in Flash Flood-img_0095.jpg

2: Air Intake from the front: The real culprit

3: Towing = No Good.
Towing guys said my car couldn't be lifted because it might harm the bumpers. It had to be pulled. Harm it did anyway.

Urgent Advice Needed: Honda Civic stuck in Flash Flood-img_0106.jpg
Urgent Advice Needed: Honda Civic stuck in Flash Flood-img_0107.jpg

4: The car is in the service center waiting for the estimate to be approved by the insurance company.
Attached Thumbnails
Urgent Advice Needed: Honda Civic stuck in Flash Flood-img_0093.jpg  

Old 4th September 2008, 16:03   #25
Team-BHP Support

What the service center diagnosed ?
Old 4th September 2008, 16:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
What the service center diagnosed ?
They'll take another day to figure the problem out. Air filters were wet - so water entered via air intake - that's all I know for now.
Old 6th September 2008, 11:40   #27
BHPian

CRAZY Estimate

Post Edited by the Team-BHP Support : Abusive language is STRICTLY prohibited on this community, even if used indirectly (*****). Do NOT use inappropriate words on Team-BHP. A clean protocol is absolutely imperative keeping our varied audience in mind.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

The Deccan workshop has given a estimate of - hold you breath - 5.5 Lakhs!!

Five lakh fifty thousand. Just recieved their fax. Trying to find out what it is for. They tell me it includes everything - engine, steerting etc. What the hell!

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2008 at 13:21.
agentsmith2 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th September 2008, 11:58   #28
BHPian

I am sorry to hear of the estimate given
Is it covered under insurance?
I wonder if you go to another third party garage, if they can repair it cheaper?
Old 6th September 2008, 11:59   #29
BHPian

Ouch! Thats astronomical!!

How much do you think insurance will cover? I'm guessing engine, transaxle etc. should be completely covered?

Does this estimate include replacing trims as well? If your seats and door trims were submerged as well, there's a good chance the service centre is planning on replacing those.

Do let us know the break up if you feel comfortable doing that.

All the best with the insurance & hope your car is as good as new in no time.

Suhail
Old 6th September 2008, 12:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Agentsmith, really sorry to hear of the water damage and the astronomical repair bill :-( I think the dealer is probably trying to add on a good bit of unneeded replacements ? Maybe you can post the details of what all has to be changed ?

Most Viewed