Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2008, 12:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Bro i meant "OWNING" one permanently not on a temporary basis with a lease plan no its not illegal but OWNING one is, after you have bought it, new or old, it has to be registered in that country.
I think you are very confused on the Carnet issue and importing a car.

Carnet means that the car is owned by you abroad (lets say Dubai). this car can be brought into India (Imported) after paying a Bond against the car. this car can be used in India for a period of 6 months on its foreign number plates. after the expiry of 6 months the car has to be taken back (Exported) to where you got it from (Dubai). These cars are not registered in India as they are not perminent residents. The bond amount after some cuts is returned to you.

The cars imported from other countries (only RHD). have to be registered in India. they do sport their foriegn number plates for a short while till the registration formalities are completed. in order for the owners not getting harrased by the police the RTO issues them a letter that the registration formalities are going on. Two Examples are LOVE V12 and 99JAY FLY. two cars that sport the foriegn plates for a while before getting Indian number plates.

Last edited by speedy : 7th September 2008 at 12:59.
Old 7th September 2008, 13:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
ok, exported out would be a better word
In short you mean to say as long as the car, once imported, does not remain in India and is sent elsewhere right?

Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I think you are very confused on the Carnet issue and importing a car.

Carnet means that the car is owned by you abroad (lets say Dubai). this car can be brought into India (Imported) after paying a Bond against the car. this car can be used in India for a period of 6 months on its foreign number plates. after the expiry of 6 months the car has to be taken back (Exported) to where you got it from (Dubai). These cars are not registered in India as they are not perminent residents. The bond amount after some cuts is returned to you..
Ah! Thanks for the clarification, i was confused for Carnet being a lease lan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The cars imported from other countries (only RHD). have to be registered in India. they do sport their foriegn number plates for a short while till the registration formalities are completed. in order for the owners not getting harrased by the police the RTO issues them a letter that the registration formalities are going on. Two Examples are LOVE V12 and 99JAY FLY. two cars that sport the foriegn plates for a while before getting Indian number plates.
This is what i actually and initially meant.
Thanks again.

Last edited by ajmat : 7th September 2008 at 15:02.
Old 7th September 2008, 13:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Coming Back to the big VW mentioned here

ITs a nice car but not as flashy as the beemer or the benz but i dont think VW would make a mistake of launching it here.
Old 7th September 2008, 13:59   #19
BHPian

VW had to be kidding with their expectation of making the Phaeton a success, even at a lower price than fellow Germans: the S & 7. For one, *luxury VW* is a paradoxical statement. Second, it looks too much like the cheaper VW's.

But as Ajmat posted, some great Phaeton deals in the used market. It depreciates like stink.
Old 7th September 2008, 15:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Saw this car many a times
in Model town
Saw this outside 2nd stop.
Big car
Great Presence.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Phaeton on test.-1347947246_1c8fb754d5.jpg  

Old 7th September 2008, 16:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think that the car is owned by someone as the number plate suggests. If one is testing cars in India, then they are supposed to have " White in Red " number plate.

Second thing is that VW pulled back this car from USA because of poor sales. It just looks like an extended Passat from certain angles. Moreover with the new Skoda Superb coming, this car wont have so value as Superb will give more value for money and again the C-pillar portion also looks somewhat like new Superb.

There is no point in bringing car so late. Again diesel will make the deal better, but then Skoda will also have good diesel engine in range.
Old 7th September 2008, 17:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
+1 on this. AFAIK, a certain senior politico of SP, has been using a deep blue Phateon for the last 2.5 years..
More than that. I've got pics of the same from August 2005. Blue with cream interiors.

Great cars. Lack the obvious brand image though. Consequently, one can pick up a 2004 model for barely 10 lakhs in UK

Last edited by aniguchisan : 7th September 2008 at 17:17.
Old 7th September 2008, 19:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

And the noisiest for its ilk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
It had the biggest and most powerful diesel engine when it was launched.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks