Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2008, 17:20   #16
BHPian

I've seen this car being tested on the NICE road last week. It was strapped with tapes and had a puny tail lamp assembly to avoid unwanted attention.
It was a really loud diesel with was really slow and boring to watch. I was passing by this test mule at about 40kmph for nealy 5 mins and the engine sounded really coarse. Its very much the TATA ACE plant from the looks. I have clicked a few pics, just searching for it now. Will upload once I find it.
Old 15th February 2009, 22:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

TATA Nano Diesel Automatic (CVT) anyone ?

I remember Ratan TATA said sometime back that Nano would come with Automatic (CVT) transmission as well. Now if that turns out to be true, then, together with a frugal diesel engine, this should be a perfect second car or a purely city car.
Diesel ATs are so uncommon that in the hatchback space there are none, and the only diesel AT in the sub 10 lakh category i can think of is the Verna AT. Please correct me if i am wrong.
Even with a ~ 2 lakh price tag, this car would make a lot of sense, since it would mean convenience of AT and small car dynamics coupled with frugality of Diesel engine. Perfect combination.
Is there any concrete information whether TATA is going to launch this variant ?
Old 15th February 2009, 22:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

No idea about CVt but the already have proven 2 cylinder motor in ace and magic.
Old 15th February 2009, 22:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

i dont think tata is planning to use the half indica engine they use in the ace. I believe they were making an all new three pot crdi motor
Old 15th February 2009, 23:15   #20
BANNED

Im in for it, but from what little I know, Nano was to come in Automatic mode only!
Even Indica diesel quadjet in auto mode would be great.
Old 14th November 2009, 13:30   #21
BHPian

Tata Nano Diesel model by 2011

source: cartradeindia.com

"Tata Motors will bring diesel model of world’s cheapest car by the year 2011. The company is currently in advanced stages of developing a diesel engine that will power Nano models in India in near future.
Tata Motors is planning to give facelift to the world’s cheapest car in coming few months. The new model will have small-looking but significant changes within next six months. The changes are being made after receiving feedback from the customers who have already received their models and general public opinion. The new model will have rev limit at 6000 rpm instead of conventional 5000 rpm for faster acceleration especially in first and second gears.

The export unit will also feature 5-speed gear box which is absent in the Indian models as top speed is restricted to 105 kmph based on safety grounds. The five speed gear box will be ideal for the European roads as Indian roads to do not facilitate gear changes at speed of 105 kmph.
There will be changes in the exterior as well viz., modified outside rear view mirror which allows movement of the mirror in its casing. This feature will also allow electrical adjustment feature in the future. There will be check straps on the doors to limit the opening of doors. One of the main features to be introduced in the new model will be opening of tailgate that will improve the utility. Presently the tailgate is sealed which is especially cumbersome to rear passengers."
Old 13th January 2011, 08:27   #22
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano Diesel model by 2011

TATA Nano diesel to debut by Sept

Tata Nano with a diesel engine will be rolled out in August or September, vendor sources said.
The diesel Nano could be crucial to the turnaround of the Nano brand which has taken a beating in the recent months due to poor sales, price increase and some safety concerns. “The diesel engine will be in the 600-700 cc range like the petrol version and could be priced at a slight premium over the current variants,” said the vendor source. Component makers expect the diesel Nano to sport a price tag between Rs 1.8-2.2 lakh. Tata Motors spokesperson refused to comment.
The diesel Nano will be the smallest and cheapest diesel car in the market and sport a sub-1000 cc engine, but with output and performance 20-30% better than is usual for that engine size, sources said.
Honeywell has developed the world’s smallest turbo systems for Nano, while Bosch will fit the smallest common rail direct injection (CRDi) system. The other partners in the project includes AVL, FEV and Ricardo. The diesel Nano, which was to have debuted immediately after the petrol versions, got delayed on account of moving the car’s mother plant from Singur to Sanand in Gujarat.
After Nano sales dwindled to just over 500 units in November, Tata Motors announced a host of marketing incentives.
Tata in talks with Canadian firm
Tata Motors is in talks with a Canada-based company for its second generation gearless Nano.
Benoit-Jean Bernard, director, Quebec office, counsulate general of Canada in Mumbai, said, “Tata has already invested huge amount in Canada’s Quebec province and is in the process of signing a deal for supply of parts for gearless Nano with C-tech, a Montreal-based auto component maker.” TNN

Source - Times of India, January 13, 2011 edition

Mods - Please up the thread as accordingly. Thanks

Last edited by camchennai : 13th January 2011 at 08:36. Reason: Typo error
Old 13th January 2011, 09:47   #23
BHPian

Re: Tata also readying 684cc diesel Nano

Tata, please dont let the diesel sound as embarassing as the petrol - I might have to buy one for my wife.
Old 13th January 2011, 11:48   #24
BANNED

Indian Auto Blog has reported spy pic of the NANO upgrade.

Interesting point mentioned:
The entire tailgate will not lift up like a hatchback. Instead, the rear windshield will hinge on mounts provided on the roof. The glass can be pulled upwards to gain access to the area behind the rear seat.

Link:
Spied – Tata Nano upgrade (Exclusive)
Old 13th January 2011, 12:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Indian Auto Blog has reported spy pic of the NANO upgrade.

Interesting point mentioned:
The entire tailgate will not lift up like a hatchback. Instead, the rear windshield will hinge on mounts provided on the roof. The glass can be pulled upwards to gain access to the area behind the rear seat.

Link:
Spied – Tata Nano upgrade (Exclusive)
Thanks for sharing that.
If it is indeed the solution, I hope the end result doesn't look like something fabricated at a local metal workshop. The hinge looks like it's been tacked on as an afterthought (it is one ); they'd do well to seek inspiration from the SS80DX for the hinge design.
Attached Images

Old 30th December 2013, 12:47   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Nano diesel likely to be shelved.

Source:ACI

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks