Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2008, 23:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
I am using this Sony Ericsson - Accessories - Overview and it is a boon, much better than mormal HF
How much does this thing cost ?
Old 19th September 2008, 23:24   #17

Hands free talking and driving is no different then talking with a co-passenger,or talking to oneself, so how can one differentiate?
Old 20th September 2008, 17:19   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Going against the tide here, but I do support this initiative. Talking on the cell phone + driving is banned not only due to one hand less in controlling the car, but also because of the distraction factor. Would the conversation be any less distracting if it is on the handsfree? I don't think so. Look, I consider myself to be an excellent driver. But I have had some close shaves when talking on my cell phone, and now choose not to talk while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
If they're considering this, it would be wiser to catch the people who talk while driving even without a handsfree first.
Quote:
Why not catch these people first and after thats been implemented properly they start thinking about banning hands-free devices. This is just another way to harass drivers and make money.
They do indeed catch those who talk and drive. Just because some get away with it doesn't mean we have to do away with the law altogether. Take the example of drunk driving, I am sure that some idiots do drive drunk and get away with it. But the clamdown has resulted in penalising a substantial number of drunk drivers. So much that it has had a watering down effect on 50X that number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira D Gomes View Post
Hands free talking and driving is no different then talking with a co-passenger,or talking to oneself, so how can one differentiate?
I see them as very different situations. In the case of a co-passenger, you are probably not going to converse for 100% of the distance (vis a vis being on the phone). Plus that co-passenger is aware of the actual driving condition and will know when to alert you or stop talking (e.g. emergency situation) . There isn't a doubt that calling a person on the phone requires more effort than speaking to someone placed next to you.
Old 20th September 2008, 22:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Someone already beat me to the Blue&Me thing . But, seriously, many cars nowadays come with integrated bluetooth as standard feature. What happens then?

Also, mark my words, guys. The cops are going to one day ban SatNav too. Forget high end cars that come with SatNav as standard, the navigation facitlity has now trickled down to cars like the Ford Fiesta. The cops will one day say that SatNav is distracting to the driver too.
Old 20th September 2008, 22:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

When I talk while driving (on bluetooth) it actually takes my anger at the traffic situation away. I also drive a lot slower and am less likely to do stupid things on the road.
Old 21st September 2008, 00:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

We are talking about banning handsfree in cars (I use speakerphone with the phone in my pocket on occasions) - what about those morons who are on two wheelers and holding the phone with one hand to their ear, while trying to balance and steer with the other hand with a pillion rider to boot. I have seen this many times in Bangalore, and a few times, there almost was an accident :-(
I would say let's educate the people and enforce the existing laws on safety. Then, we can draw up rules which could take the bar higher a notch. Otherwise, people flout even the most basic norms (like jumping red lights, driving in the wrong way etc etc).
Old 21st September 2008, 09:00   #22
BANNED

How about banning mobile frequencies from reaching the roads? That would be better. Ain't it?

Soon, they'll also start telling us whom to speak and whom not to. How stupidistic!!
Old 21st September 2008, 10:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Someone already beat me to the Blue&Me thing . But, seriously, many cars nowadays come with integrated bluetooth as standard feature. What happens then?

Also, mark my words, guys. The cops are going to one day ban SatNav too. Forget high end cars that come with SatNav as standard, the navigation facitlity has now trickled down to cars like the Ford Fiesta. The cops will one day say that SatNav is distracting to the driver too.
He he, amit, that was me lol. you just snatched my next statement. I wonder what's going to happen with GPS navigation (with voice guidance). Cops are going to catch them too? More than once, I've been asked to pull over by the cops for speaking on the phone- though i was not speaking. Had to show them my phone call log to proove my case.
Old 21st September 2008, 23:49   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Going against the tide here, but I do support this initiative. Talking on the cell phone + driving is banned not only due to one hand less in controlling the car, but also because of the distraction factor. Would the conversation be any less distracting if it is on the handsfree? I don't think so. Look, I consider myself to be an excellent driver. But I have had some close shaves when talking on my cell phone, and now choose not to talk while driving.
I think you're right about this one GTO. Although most of us feel that using a hands-free kit or bluetooth headset enables us to keep both hands on the wheel, there is indeed a negative effect on concentration:

Here is an interesting excerpt from the Insurance Information Institute III - Cellphones and Driving

Many studies have shown that using hand-held cellphones while driving can constitute a hazardous distraction. However, the theory that hands-free sets are safer has been challenged by the findings of several studies. A study from researchers at the University of Utah, published in the summer 2006 issue of Human Factors, the quarterly journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, concludes that talking on a cellphone while driving is as dangerous as driving drunk, even if the phone is a hands-free model. An earlier study by researchers at the university found that motorists who talked on hands-free cellphones were 18 percent slower in braking and took 17 percent longer to regain the speed they lost when they braked.
Old 22nd September 2008, 09:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If they're considering this, it would be wiser to catch the people who talk while driving even without a handsfree first.
101%

how is the above different from me talking to the person sitting next to me (while i am driving?). If they get this out we might be seeing a lot of cars stopping roadside to take calls causing traffic jams.

Bloody idiots!!
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:06   #26
BHPian

I think we should be enough responsible to use our Mobile while driving. I agree that this is a stupid Idea to ban the ear phone. But at the same time we also have to think how people are using mobile while driving.
We can have effort to buy a costly car/ICE but dont have enough money to buy a HandFree and drive. Every day I see thousand of people using Cell phone in one hand and driving. And some time they drive slow talking on the phone in Mid of the road.
We should educate our self to atleast use a Hands Free while driving. Its safe for every one.
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:13   #27
BHPian

I was traveling a call taxi today. The driver was continuously talking over the radio phone to alert his control center that he is ready for another pick up. How is this different from cell phone usage! Does the law mean call taxis have to be shut down?!
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:36   #28
BHPian

Analysing the studies conducted and recalling my experiences, I think there is indeed a difference in talking / hearing over a phone in comparison to same exercise with someone inside the car or even hearing music. The attention provided by the brain is more in telephonic conversations for reasons unknown. Driving during such telephonic conversations is just more by some auto mode operation by the brain in coordinating eye/hands/legs. So in the event of some major surprises on the road, reaction time may be delayed.
This is my take on the whole issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks