Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 13:05   #16
BHPian

tolls for what? there needs to be roads to collect the toll!!
Old 16th October 2008, 14:05   #17
BHPian

If we pay toll: Can we claim damages if any, in case of bad roads?
Old 16th October 2008, 15:10   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

This is highway robbery (pun intended). I'm willing to pay this toll only if they reduce the road tax accordingly.
Old 16th October 2008, 16:27   #19
BHPian

Chief Minister's Parliamentary Secretary S.A. Ramdas today declared that "the Mysore-Bangalore Highway will continue to be 'toll-free' Highway and there is no question of collecting toll from the vehicles plying on this highway.

Talking to Star of Mysore this morning over phone from Bangalore, Ramdas said that he had spoken to the Public Works Minsiter C.M. Udasi and all the top authorities concerned in this regard today to spare Mysore-Bangalore Highway from the purview of toll collection.

"After my talks with all those concerned, I can assure that there would be no toll," he added.
Earlier in the day, he had submitted a memorandum to the Minister urging him to drop Mysore-Bangalore Highway from the list of highways where toll collection is proposed.
Ramdas has reminded the Minister about his party's opposition to the attempt to impose toll on Mysore-Bangalore Highway during the Congress-JD(S) coalition regime. The protest forced the government to drop the proposal at that time.
"Our stand remains the same. We will not allow collection of toll on Mysore-Bangalore Highway," Ramdas re-affirmed.

Source : Star of Mysore

Last edited by deepak_ms : 16th October 2008 at 16:44.
Old 16th October 2008, 18:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_ms View Post
Chief Minister's Parliamentary Secretary S.A. Ramdas today declared that "the Mysore-Bangalore Highway will continue to be 'toll-free' Highway and there is no question of collecting toll from the vehicles plying on this highway.

Talking to Star of Mysore this morning over phone from Bangalore, Ramdas said that he had spoken to the Public Works Minsiter C.M. Udasi and all the top authorities concerned in this regard today to spare Mysore-Bangalore Highway from the purview of toll collection.

"After my talks with all those concerned, I can assure that there would be no toll," he added.
Earlier in the day, he had submitted a memorandum to the Minister urging him to drop Mysore-Bangalore Highway from the list of highways where toll collection is proposed.
Ramdas has reminded the Minister about his party's opposition to the attempt to impose toll on Mysore-Bangalore Highway during the Congress-JD(S) coalition regime. The protest forced the government to drop the proposal at that time.
"Our stand remains the same. We will not allow collection of toll on Mysore-Bangalore Highway," Ramdas re-affirmed.

Source : Star of Mysore
Now I am relieved reading this. Man!! if they had charged the Mysore highway at perkm 0.58paise then imagine how many travelogues would have reduced in TeamBHP.com
Old 16th October 2008, 19:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well, if they reduce lifetime road tax and road cess on fuel, then it maybe ok to put toll on SH. Otherwise, your and my money will go to politicians from all the taxes we pay, and then they will have a bonanza with the toll :-(

But then again, there are hardly any roads that are not SH in Karnataka (almost everything seems to be getting labelled SH). It may not be practical to charge toll every road - this can also slow up traffic a lot. I mean this per km thing is total nonsense. How are they going to setup the infrastructure for it ? Make toll gates every 10km on 2 lane narrow undivided SH's ?
It maybe better to make a flat charge for anyone who takes a SH (or a couple of slabs depending on the SH) ? And only bring some SH's with enough traffic and length in the purview of this.
Old 16th October 2008, 20:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Seems govt themselves are in dilema or not sure how to implement this. So does it mean the popular roads will be spared

Btw, I read i Hindu that the govt is running out of money to maintain the roads and hence the toll idea. I think we should file a RTI to know how much money the Govt is getting a day in the name of New vehicle taxes (Road tax + service + sales tax etc)

In the end of the day, they lay a road that will be wahsed in rains.
Old 16th October 2008, 21:01   #23
BHPian

Lets make a list of all the Taxes and cess collected and then file an RTI query on how all the money collected under those heads is spent... down to the cost of every single bit of bitumen and the labour paid and what ever else goes into it. the politicians will **** in their pants when they have to declare that a nail costs the government Rs. 10000 ( I realise that nails are not necessarily used in making roads i just used it for comparison as i dont know the cost of materials used for making roads). what say? any takers?
Old 16th October 2008, 21:18   #24
BHPian

I will pay toll when the roads are maintained well with all facilities , for toll collecting sake simply construct a small bridge (or lay a road for a small stretch) on small channel some times not even worth of few lakhs. Give bribe to govt people to get toll permit for not less than 15 year . In such cases I am not ready to pay. But near my home town we have the same scenario.
Old 17th October 2008, 07:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by potlaravi View Post
I will pay toll when the roads are maintained well with all facilities , for toll collecting sake simply construct a small bridge (or lay a road for a small stretch) on small channel some times not even worth of few lakhs. Give bribe to govt people to get toll permit for not less than 15 year . In such cases I am not ready to pay. But near my home town we have the same scenario.
When you say you wont pay, I think you say you wont take that road. Right?

I think it may be possible to by pass these toll gates right? May be localities knows better. If not we need to bring up a thread in route and travel queries.

I am thinking of filling a RTI for the revenue generate in a day for Govt by road tax. But not sure if it comes in that act. Lets see.
Old 17th October 2008, 17:23   #26
BANNED

I would prefer a system which imposes annual tax; and no usage cess / toll.
Old 17th October 2008, 20:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I think it may be possible to by pass these toll gates right? May be localities knows better.
I am thinking of filling a RTI for the revenue generate in a day for Govt by road tax. But not sure if it comes in that act. Lets see.

MJ,
Though I said I don’t pay some time there will be no other go , i need to pay that. But most of the times your very true “ localities knows better “.
Good luck for RTI , hope this will cover our issue .
Old 18th March 2016, 18:30   #28
BHPian

Re: Ready to pay Toll on SHs? Read on.

Now, Shell Out More to Ply on State Highways
BENGALURU: Motorists must now be ready to shell out more money for using state highways. The state cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Thursday gave approval for the proposal of Karnataka Road Development Corporation (KRDCL) to collect toll on six roads to be developed under Public Private Partnership (PPP) model.

Six roads that are going to be developed and tolled are: Bagevadi to Savadatti (63 km) in Belagavi district, Hassan-Periyapatna (73.54 km) in Hassan, Hirekerur-Ranebennur (58.3 km) in Haveri, Mundaragi-Harapanahalli (51.57 km), Hunagund-Talikote (56.82 km) in Vijayapura district and the stretch that connects Chincholi in Kalaburagi district with National Highway 9 in Bidar district (60.4km).

“These roads will be developed under second phase of Karnataka State Highway Improvement Project (KSHIP) funded by World Bank and private players. Work on some roads has already started. However, the toll will be collected only after completion of all works on each stretch,” Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister T B Jayachandra told reporters while briefing on Cabinet decisions.

The cabinet also approved the upgradation of stretch between Sindhanur-Hemmadage via Kushtagi in Raichur district at a cost of Rs 152 crore.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...cle3332956.ece
Old 11th October 2018, 12:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Karnataka highway stretches to be tolled from this month.
Quote:

BENGALURU: Travelling by road across Karnataka is set to get expensive, with the state government clearing a proposal to collect toll fees on select stretches of state highways. The levy of user charges on these roads will come into effect later this month.
News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 14:02   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Karnataka highway stretches to be tolled from this month.

News Source.
Excellent! What's next? We could also propose a street, lane, by-lane wise toll.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks