Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2012, 10:52   #556
Senior - BHPian

re: Rationalising diesel prices*Update: 50p rise/month announced*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Yesterday, it seems that Kunbhkaran is finally waking up. So the noise that the FM made in the parliament about raising fuel prices, and also passing some bills.
It seems that Finance Ministry (or Government) is test waters.

Earlier a junior Finance Ministry official spoke to Fuel Price Price hike. Now we saw Finance Minister delivering a emotional speech begging for passing of touch Economic Bills.

As far as Diesel Price hike, we know that it will definitely come in future, only matter is When & who will decide on this? To me it seems that Government is trying to gauge the reponse of Regional Political Parties & Oposition before dropping the Diesel Price Hike Bomb.

Let us see how the Government moves ahead.

Thanks,
Old 9th May 2012, 11:13   #557
Senior - BHPian

Hope Mrs Clinton obeys Didi's orders and pumps investment into WB. It might make Didi happy and might let the Central Govt do what is needed.

How will the govt also waive Bengal's loans? I hate the politics being played out where on the other hand India with gusto can reject the threat of sanctions from US on Iran issue

Last edited by srishiva : 9th May 2012 at 11:19.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:45   #558
BHPian

Quote:
However, he is still behaving like a mule in the GAAR (read Vodaphone) issue. All this talk about tax haven is silly - you made a defective law and somebody drove a lorry through the hole. The Cupreme Court confirms it. Now who is to blame you or the chap with the lorry.
Of course the chap with the lorry. The lorry driver should have been conscientious enough to note that in the future it can be deemed illegal and hence shouldn't have done it. It's like the traffic cop posting a no-parking sign and towing your car well after you have parked your car. Year on year, we elect these village idiots into the government and then blame them for utter mismanagement

Quote:
The way it looks like is that they will incrase the ex-factory prices and persuade the states to lessen the blow by cutting taxes.
What are ex-factory prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
As far as Diesel Price hike, we know that it will definitely come in future, only matter is When & who will decide on this? To me it seems that Government is trying to gauge the reponse of Regional Political Parties & Oposition before dropping the Diesel Price Hike Bomb.
Thanks,
I think the government has seen now the writing on the wall. All the political parties except the Congress want an election for better redistribution of the seats given that Congress' downward popularity. It will give all the other parties more negotiation power. I don't think the diesel price hike or even LPG price hike can happen given the political weather. Elections would be called soon I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
How will the govt also waive Bengal's loans? I hate the politics being played out where on the other hand India with gusto can reject the threat of sanctions from US on Iran issue
Very good point. Though its not a waiver but a moratorium on interest payments for 3 years. Even that is huge amounting to around 24K crores annually. If WB gets it, states like Punjab and Kerala will want it. I don't see why Punjab needs it though given that its such a rich state supposedly. WB and Kerala I can understand where under years of Left rule, no industry and employing comrades in government departments ran up huge salary bills. All this is though.

India imports 12% of its oil from Iran and foregoing that will have a devastating effect with no alternatives on the horizon. India has no option but to get oil from Iran, regardless of what the US thinks.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:06   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
.. Year on year, we elect these village idiots into the government and then blame them for utter mismanagement
They are not just the yokels, but also the highly paid babus who draft the legislation.

Quote:
What are ex-factory prices?
sorry ex-refinery prices.

Quote:
I think the government has seen now the writing on the wall. All the political parties except the Congress want an election for better redistribution of the seats given that Congress' downward popularity. It will give all the other parties more negotiation power. I don't think the diesel price hike or even LPG price hike can happen given the political weather. Elections would be called soon I think.
As per Yogendra Yadav only strong governments prepone elections, not weak ones. One threshold will be crossed next May. 4-years are necessary for MPs to get their pensions!
Old 9th May 2012, 12:43   #560
BHPian

Quote:
sorry ex-refinery prices.
The FM was harping again yesterday about the Rs 14 odd under recoveries. Till this time it was the oil ministry who was cribbing. So does it mean diesel should actually cost Rs 56 - 60 taking into account all the taxation imposed? If the center only collects Rs 3 in taxes on diesel, the states are then just looting left and right in the name of taxes on diesel. On average then the taxes on diesel is Rs 20+ per liter. That is an enormous amount and without having to do zilch about the product itself. It's high time the center starts exposing each of these states charging hefty taxes and call their bluff. Its only then some rationalization and the true cost of diesel as well as petrol will be known.

Quote:
As per Yogendra Yadav only strong governments prepone elections, not weak ones. One threshold will be crossed next May. 4-years are necessary for MPs to get their pensions!
Here in this case I feel this government is being taken apart and broken to pieces firstly by its own bone headed policies and secondly by its coalition partners. They might have no option but to call for elections, pensions or not.
Old 9th May 2012, 18:14   #561
Senior - BHPian

Most of the DG Sets and Agricultural machinery can run on what is called "Low Speed Diesel". This is a cheaper fuel and at one time was used extensively. Have no idea what happened, but generally most of the larger diesel engines( 1000 HP+) are available for two or three types of fuels - HSD, LSD and GAS. As LSD or GAS will ruin an engine designed for HSD the solution is pretty simple.
Old 9th May 2012, 18:39   #562
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Have you ever wondered that in most Indian cities & towns, where there are Power Cuts, Mobile Towers & Shopping Malls are always working.

This is because of Diesel Generator sets (DG's).

I feel Government should immediately ensure that use of subsidized Diesel for such purposes should be declared illegal & introduce a heavy penalty on defaulters. The same goes for Volvo Buses that are plying between cities - if Indian Railways can increase I & II A/c Fares, why should Ultra Luxury Volvo Buses enjoy cheap Diesel?

The above will ensure that Regional Political Parties will not oppose this & most important the Government's Subsidy Allocation for Fuel Imports will be in better shape.

Thanks,
Old 12th May 2012, 21:17   #563
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive

I agree with this point of view.
After all, why would I want to pay more to the authorities? So that they can buy more expensive SUVs to roam around in?
I think any politician in power must have enough money to buy his own car. Then why provide official cars?
In fact there should be a rule that any post holder in a government authority is mandated to use only public transport. In this way, the money spent on their travel will be automatically reduced and quality of public transport/ infrastructure will automatically improve.
If someone talks security, it should be ok for the said postholder to have as much security as the common man/ woman.
Time taken? If it is good enough for the common man, it should be good enough for the said postholder too.
Would like to hear/ discuss your opinions on this.
Most pleased indeed by this post! Yes I totally agree that the politicos and bureaucrats need to be made to only use public transport. That's the only way to teach those creeps what the common people who elect them, go through on a daily basis. Indian politicos have been too long treated as 'leaders' and 'rulers' where in fact they are merely elected representatives of all of us tax payers.
Old 12th May 2012, 23:36   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes I totally agree that the politicos and bureaucrats need to be made to only use public transport.
Sir, I certainly agree to your views to a certain extent but think of it, you cannot expect Collector of a district who is a bureaucrat to use public transport. It like asking a General Manager of a company to use public transport. Which is certainly not acceptable.

Quote:
Indian politicos have been too long treated as 'leaders' and 'rulers' where in fact they are merely elected representatives of all of us tax payers.
Again you are correct with your views but what can we do as common man. The politicians remain the same every time. It's always been either Congress or BJP. Are there any other party who is in majority?

Sir, we should refrain ourselves from disusing these sensitive issues and let this thread remain as a discussion related to pricing & rationalizing of diesel prices.
Old 13th May 2012, 07:35   #565
BANNED

Yes certainly Lobo. I sometimes let my irritation and frustration with the system run away with me. Apologies!

And yes, senior bureaucrats etc certainly must have the privilege of a car.

However, I state that equally, all of these government officials and politicians ought to have the same sense of accountability to the electorate that the corporate office holders do, to their share holders.

After all, elected representatives are supposed to be public servants working for the electorate that put them there in the first place!

In the UK and other developed countries it is not uncommon for the MP's and Ministers to use the common man's tube to get to their offices. Here, by contrast the public in their vehicles are brought to a complete stand still to allow some blighter in public office to pass with his convoy/ cavalcade!! The police cite reasons of "VIP Movement". What makes an elected representative a VIP compared with any of us regular blokes? That, to me, is absolutely ridiculous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Sir, I certainly agree to your views to a certain extent but think of it, you cannot expect Collector of a district who is a bureaucrat to use public transport. It like asking a General Manager of a company to use public transport. Which is certainly not acceptable.

Again you are correct with your views but what can we do as common man. The politicians remain the same every time. It's always been either Congress or BJP. Are there any other party who is in majority?

Sir, we should refrain ourselves from disusing these sensitive issues and let this thread remain as a discussion related to pricing & rationalizing of diesel prices.
Old 13th May 2012, 13:48   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the UK and other developed countries it is not uncommon for the MP's and Ministers to use the common man's tube to get to their offices. Here, by contrast the public in their vehicles are brought to a complete stand still to allow some blighter in public office to pass with his convoy/ cavalcade!! The police cite reasons of "VIP Movement". What makes an elected representative a VIP compared with any of us regular blokes? That, to me, is absolutely ridiculous!
Yes very true. I infact recently David Cameron, British PM, recently took subway train (with just one bodygaurd) to reach for afternoon on time. As roads are full of traffic that time, he chose to reach the destination by train.

Also when the Queen went on Christmas holidays last year, she traveled by Train. I wonder things like above are ever possible in India?

The VIP Mentality in India is really creating a problem. The elected Representatives of people are making life difficult for same people.

Thanks,
Old 13th May 2012, 15:42   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, I state that equally, all of these government officials and politicians ought to have the same sense of accountability to the electorate that the corporate office holders do, to their share holders.

After all, elected representatives are supposed to be public servants working for the electorate that put them there in the first place!
Yes, absolutely. But with great powers come great responsibility. Some use it to make life better for common man while others abuse their powers.

Quote:
Yes, in developed countries public transport is top notch that's why one wishes to use them. The problem in India is "Huge Population". In UK the population is less, so you have less crowded public transport which is not the case in India. Say for e.g. Mumbai Locals, jam packed to the brim and almost saturated. When we see public transport in developed countries we get amazed wow, such buses, trains, no crowds whereas its all different back here.

Much needed scope for development. Wish we can match those standard of living here in India. Let not take this much further in details, shall we.
Old 13th May 2012, 21:01   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Y
Yes, in developed countries public transport is top notch that's why one wishes to use them. The problem in India is "Huge Population". In UK the population is less, so you have less crowded public transport which is not the case in India. Say for e.g. Mumbai Locals, jam packed to the brim and almost saturated. )
Then , is it not all the more compelling to make the public transport more comfortable to travel in INdia? If parking space is provided for me in a public transport terminus and a decent ride, every time I will take public transport only!
Old 13th May 2012, 23:57   #569
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure but isn't public transport-tube and train, in the UK prohibitively expensive. I think that personal transport in the UK is cheaper than public transport.
Old 14th May 2012, 04:14   #570
BANNED

Not really. Personal transport is generally more expensive. It is made prohibitively so in cities like London, by the congestion taxes and parking costs, in order to ease traffic chaos and encourage people to use more public transport, which anyway is very efficient, clean and comfortable overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I'm not sure but isn't public transport-tube and train, in the UK prohibitively expensive. I think that personal transport in the UK is cheaper than public transport.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks