Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 15:16   #61
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes we are just too demanding, first we say Fiat has overpriced its cars (actually they price their cars very well!) and if they give a discount or Festival offer, we say it is coz their cars don't sell, cars is going to be replaced etc etc.!

And there is no point discussing the strengths of Fiat car here, the Fiat owners know it & are enjoying it, non-owners just crib as usual ...keep it going!

Last edited by finneyp : 20th October 2008 at 15:25.
Old 20th October 2008, 16:19   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Sometimes we are just too demanding, first we say Fiat has overpriced its cars (actually they price their cars very well!) and if they give a discount or Festival offer, we say it is coz their cars don't sell, cars is going to be replaced etc etc.!

And there is no point discussing the strengths of Fiat car here, the Fiat owners know it & are enjoying it, non-owners just crib as usual ...keep it going!
Finney, In india, Fiat like all car are overpriced and what make it worse is there A.S.S. (after sales service) that's why folks have issues with Fiat. Some thought that after TATA taking the case things would change. But they wanted to continue the family tradition of being idiotic after sales agents, cause that felt like a charm or goodwill I completely agree with you on the build quality of the fiat, we owned one that was older than me and it did jus fine. But hey! cars are more that Bulid quality. THUS the DISCOUNT
Old 20th October 2008, 22:41   #63
Senior - BHPian

Not quoting anyone since i dont want to enter into a controversy.

After reading this thread Just to add in my experience of driving the FIAT 1.6 and the Ford 1.6. While the Ford wins hands down in initial pickup the FIAT has been much better to drive. The less number of gear changes and the power available even at lowest rpm levels make it very easy to drive around. The engine is very smooth and feels like silk (not sure how to explain this). On a long drive i feel much more comfortale at 3 figure speeds in the FIAT than on the ford. I also feel much less tired after long drives in the FIAT than on the Ford.

This is a combination of factors which include the engine, the suspension, the gear ratios, the weight of the car etc. I'm not of the opinion that any car is better than another. But on certain fronts every car will have an advantage over the other. It depends on your priorities which car is best for you. I guess all of us would have bought our cars after taking into consideration our priorities and the capabilities of the cars.

I am yet to understand why people are so obsessed with talking against FIAT. Every car manufacturer is giving discounts on their models in some way or the other. The car indusry is in such a state. I dont understand the point in discussing why FIAT has reduced the price. Guys... those who want to make use of this reduction go ahead. Others just watch out for the ownership reviews.
Old 21st October 2008, 01:27   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Didn't you know that it only takes the word "Fiat" on a thread to make it run long and strong and contoversial! .

Quote:
This is a combination of factors which include the engine, the suspension, the gear ratios, the weight of the car etc. I'm not of the opinion that any car is better than another. But on certain fronts every car will have an advantage over the other. It depends on your priorities which car is best for you. I guess all of us would have bought our cars after taking into consideration our priorities and the capabilities of the cars.
Priorities of people like you me are somewhat different from the priorities of others, hence the Palio getting "old, outdated" etc etc. My belief is that outdated is not another word for "bad". Which is why I find my "outdated" car more comfortable as I spend more and more time inside it.

Quote:
I am yet to understand why people are so obsessed with talking against FIAT. Every car manufacturer is giving discounts on their models in some way or the other. The car indusry is in such a state. I dont understand the point in discussing why FIAT has reduced the price. Guys... those who want to make use of this reduction go ahead. Others just watch out for the ownership reviews.
This thread has long since moved away from the original topic of the "price cuts".

Come on, it's just a 20 k or so price cut on the MJD and 40 k on others. Is it worse than the 50 k price cut on the Spark last Diwali, and for a car at the beginning of its life cycle? The Palio is reasonably priced against its competition (look at Swift VDi vs MJD SDX) and the discount puts the price advantage better. And a 10-15 k discount is almost perpetually on at Maruti / Hyundai for Alto / Santro / 800 etc etc in all festive seasons. I doubt if it is the death knell for the Palio or Fiat. They have done much worse than this to themselves .

It is no hidden fact that the Palio Stile is a slow-seller, almost "no-seller". MJDs are clocking up sales of 20 units in Delhi every month. And I think that its more than the Hyundai Getz CRDi, a car that everyone praises for its performance.
Old 21st October 2008, 07:44   #65
BHPian

Architect, I completely second what you are saying. all of it. My friend works in TATA and now in a couple of places I believe they've stated doing (display) sales too and service for Fiat, and he told of how good the car maybe and how bad the actual sales are. I mean when you have two makes in your shop you obviously know which one sells better!!
Old 21st October 2008, 17:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

Excellent points made there by you Gemi!

I myself switched from a OHC to Adventure and i seriously dont regret, have seen a vast diffrence and like you mentioned long drives are more comfortable...and many more +points..

About the discounts its good for people who want to buy them...

Quote:

After reading this thread Just to add in my experience of driving the FIAT 1.6 and the Ford 1.6. While the Ford wins hands down in initial pickup the FIAT has been much better to drive. The less number of gear changes and the power available even at lowest rpm levels make it very easy to drive around. The engine is very smooth and feels like silk (not sure how to explain this). On a long drive i feel much more comfortale at 3 figure speeds in the FIAT than on the ford. I also feel much less tired after long drives in the FIAT than on the Ford.

Old 21st October 2008, 22:05   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Yes. Fiat Palio is the greatest thing man created (after Taj Mahal).
LOL, good one man, if not the greatest built next to tajmahal, atleast the most talked about,

only users of FIAT cars know that it just grows on the driver everytime you drive... more you drive more u appreciate its finer points... not just palio it is the same reaction from the lowest rung of fiat cars, be it 1100, premier padmini or UNO or PALIO or the famed FIAT500

FIAT people easily cut their prices as it is decade old design & still making money on it, if not in india, FIAT is still making plenty of money on UNO & PALIO in brazil...
Old 21st October 2008, 23:11   #68
BHPian

why dont ppl talk abt the price cuts offered by maruti on the wagon-r and the zen estilo.last month wagon-r was bein offered at 40k discounts.zen a 25k discount and there was heavy discount and exchange bonus on the versa as well.
Old 22nd October 2008, 00:15   #69
BHPian

Dont want to pinpoint anyone,but Its sad to see matured people acting like kids.......

Sandeep from Tata Motors/Bangalore called in this afternoon just to check how my car was doing while talking to him I did asked about the current offers going on ,all he said was MJD is doing too Good here in Blore & south the sales have really gone Up ,We as in TATA dont want to offer much discount on this hot cake :

corporate offer :4-7k max depending on companies.
festival discount:24 k on SDX,SDE,SD

Hope this gives a better Idea
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:02   #70
Senior - BHPian

That said, I'm sure all people agree that the MJD is barely being marketed, right?
compared to the push for the Vista?????

and Architect bhai, there are about 10+ palios sold only from Dhingra every month. If only the A.S.S was outsourced to autolinks and sales to Hyundai .. sigh!!
Old 22nd October 2008, 21:03   #71
Senior - BHPian

Got a call from my brother few minutes back that he has brought a Palio Stile 1.1 SL (petrol).

And at what price, its 2.65laks on the road.

Accessories got were: Seat cover, Digital clock, Mat, Mud flap, Fog lamp & Free extended warranty.

ICE: Panasonic model RX-300 with Pioneer speakers and JBL amp (no idea which model, but a basic one).

Delivery being done tomorrow.

No photos available. Will get them when I visit hometown for Diwali.

And, it is a black beauty!
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:33   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Got a call from my brother few minutes back that he has brought a Palio Stile 1.1 SL (petrol).

And at what price, its 2.65laks on the road.

What the heck?? Are you saying 2.65lacs for a Brand new Palio?????
Are you sure buddy?
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:39   #73
BHPian

The Vehicle cost of Palio Stile 1.1SL is 3.53 lakhs with the current discounts you can get a palio for 3.13 lakhs but that is the ex-showroom price.

P.S I am a poor Palio Sales man.
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:52   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
What the heck?? Are you saying 2.65lacs for a Brand new Palio????? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
The Vehicle cost of Palio Stile 1.1SL is 3.53 lakhs with the current discounts you can get a palio for 3.13 lakhs but that is the ex-showroom price...
Got some more info.

I was told the prices was 3.99laks which has been discounted to 2.65laks on-road price. It is a 2007 Dec model and hence this discount.

Since my brother has close to 10years of work experience in sales & service of cars (from sales agent to branch manager), I am sure he knows what he is getting into.
Old 23rd October 2008, 15:51   #75
Senior - BHPian

As a consumer looking to buy a car, price reduction is a good thing, irrespective of which make/model of car it is. I saw the advt in the papers and I found it to be tempting. I think the 1.6 at that price is a steal as compared to looking in the used car market.

Ofcourse for existing customers, a price-cut is bad news, because it means drop in resale prices. And more so with Palio, because already the resale value is abysmal.

It is possible (though not sure) that this might be part of a larger gameplan on the company's part - reduce prices, push off all stock and bring in new models. Who knows ? If you dont care about the car being phased out, make the most of this deal. If not, stay away. As simple as that. Why crucify a company for giving discounts when almost every other company does the same ?

BTW, this thread is about price-cuts on Palio. Not sure why it has to be dragged to a shoot-out between Ford1.6 and Palio1.6 OR to claim that only Fiat cars grow on trees (sorry, drivers). All cars grow on their users, irrespective of make - it is not a Fiat monopoly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks