Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2014, 10:52   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
They are looking for easy targets... If they go little further to JP Nagar 4th Phase (dollars colony) they can issue notice to may PY reg Audis and Beemers, just in one street itself, but sure won't do that!
Thats because, if they even try doing that, they'd get showcause notices from their higher-ups.

But this crackdown is too much. What about vehicles that keep going out and coming back?
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 11:23   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

In Banashankari area I used to see a PY registered Jaguar and wondered if he is one of the guys who got PY registration for saving on the tax. After nearly a year or so he got it changed to KA and had a garland also like on a new car
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 14:15   #1023
Senior - BHPian

Police stopped my KL registered two wheeler today at Mission road circle. I was going towards Langford road and I wonder how they noticed my registration plate in that crowd.

He asked me for DL, RC, PUC and insurance. All of them were in place and then he asked for NOC. I asked him NOC for what? He said mine is a KL registered bike. I told him that I'm not using it here for very long.

He didn't ask anything further. I said bye and moved but suddenly thought of rechecking the docs. I stopped again and opened my bag. By the time, this officer came towards me and returned my PUC certificate.

I don't say its intentional, but double check the docs before proceeding.

Last edited by coolclouds : 18th February 2014 at 14:16.
coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 15:57   #1024
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
They are looking for easy targets... If they go little further to JP Nagar 4th Phase (dollars colony) they can issue notice to may PY reg Audis and Beemers, just in one street itself, but sure won't do that!
Absolutely right. There is a house in my neighbourhood where there are the following vehicles:
1. LR Freelander - PY Reg
2. Jag XF - PY Reg
3. Endy - KA 41 Reg
4. Merc E 250 or something similar - PY Reg
5. VW Jetta - KA 41 Reg

3 out of 5 are PY Reg.

Why is this bloke allowed to remain in peace?

Because he is a hugely loaded Real Estate type wallah.
Lives in a big 80x100 sq ft site, which is built up right to the edge with absolutely no set back. Three cars are parked inside and 2 are left outside.

Amazing country we live in I must say.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 21:20   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Today the RTO officials watching keenly the number plates below that HP footbridge, EC1. AP, PY and KL plate cars were parked beside.

So, Bhpians with non KA plates, keep your documents ready!
Old 19th February 2014, 22:42   #1026
BHPian

Now it is close to Financial Year end; one of the reason for the accelerated hunt for non-KA vehicles, to achieve their targets.
Old 20th February 2014, 09:09   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Today the RTO officials watching keenly the number plates below that HP footbridge, EC1. AP, PY and KL plate cars were parked beside.

What time was this?

This morning, RTO folks were at E City below HP foot bridge between 830-845 AM - a number of vehicles were parked beside the RTO White Bolero. They were oblivious to the pile up their check was creating during peak hour traffic.
Old 20th February 2014, 12:34   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
What time was this?

I was there by 11 AM today and still they were there. Since i was free for the day, i stood there and watched all the action for a while.

There were stopping vehicles in both the directions; 1 inspector for each side.

Even 2 wheelers were stopped.

A woman with MH plate Alto was very angry; she was shouting that "you are harrassing me already, i accepted the challan and what more do you want?". She was let go(i think RTO took the original papers).

An Audi A4 came; the RTO chaps jumped up shouting 'PY registration' and almost fell in front of the car to stop them; the 2 guys inside the car frenetically dialing numbers. The Inspector was unfazed; he politely asked them to bring the original papers, and until then, the car can be parked there.

Mostly TN, AP PY and KL and the rest are UP, JH, OR plates.

Some snaps from the scene:
Attached Thumbnails
Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached-imag0167.jpg  

Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached-imag0168.jpg  

Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached-imag0171.jpg  

ramzsys is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 13:44   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Saw quite a few policemen stopping vehicles near the Kaikondanahalli on Sarjapur Road at about 9PM yesterday. I hear that they are standing there since 6PM onwards to catch vehicles coming from Wipro and other companies in that area.
Old 20th February 2014, 13:54   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Saw quite a few policemen stopping vehicles near the Kaikondanahalli on Sarjapur Road at about 9PM yesterday. I hear that they are standing there since 6PM onwards to catch vehicles coming from Wipro and other companies in that area.
I stay in that area and the checks by cops there are usually to stop car drivers w/o seat belts or drivers speaking on the phone, 2 wheelers without helmets or riding triples etc. I don't think that is related to the road tax, which is an RTO initiative. Usually at E City, they start their action post 10-11 AM; this morning they were around at 830 AM itself !

Hot spots for RTO appears to be E-City, BG Road near Meenakshi mall, occasionally near Koramangala where Sarjapur road meets Madiwala market.
Old 20th February 2014, 17:27   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Usually at E City, they start their action post 10-11 AM; this morning they were around at 830 AM itself !
Guess year end targets are getting to them!

Also, perhaps the fear of loss of revenue if at all uniform tax slab gets implemented effective 1 April (from what I could understand of the press release, I dont think cars which are more than 2 years and less than 10 lakhs will be charged road tax again)

Last edited by aajohn : 20th February 2014 at 17:28.
Old 20th February 2014, 17:47   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Absolutely right. There is a house in my neighbourhood where there are the following vehicles:
2. Jag XF - PY Reg
3. Endy - KA 41 Reg
5. VW Jetta - KA 41 Reg

3 out of 5 are PY Reg.

Lives in a big 80x100 sq ft site, which is built up right to the edge with absolutely no set back. Three cars are parked inside and 2 are left outside.

This reminds me of a family staying near to my place who's garage was filled with 4 to 5 high end imported cars (mostly VW) with the original countries registration numbers. I kept seeing this guy removing his fleet only during the nights for a spin. Never ever saw these beauties in the daylight.

Now I do not see any of them. Either he has managed to sell it off or moved them to his farm house with KA reg I guess...These are the games people play.

Last edited by sumathindra : 20th February 2014 at 17:48. Reason: edits
Old 21st February 2014, 10:38   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Hello all
I wish to share my experience with regard to payment of LTT for my TN registered santro. This was on 4th and 5th July 2013

Day1:

I went to koramangala RTO along with the original invoice copy, insurance, RC book and PUC. I reached the office (Room No. 11) by 10 AM only to find the cleaners at work (cleaning the tables of the bosses). Meanwhile i filled form No 14. Just a day before, the transport minister paid a surprise visit to the RTO wherein the public complained to him about the attitude of some of the RTO guys. I thought this will have some impact on them when they come to office the next day. Unfortunately they are thick skinned buffaloes.
They came at 10: 30 AM. I met the superintendent and explained to him that i intend to pay the road tax w/o changing number plate. The first thing he said was to bring NOC from TN. I replied back politely that as per rules one can stick to the existing number just by paying road tax. Then i met one gentleman who sits in a separate cubicle behind the cash counter. I forget his designation. He said no problem if u pay only road tax. He directed me to an auditor who sits in Room No. 3.
I produced the invoice copy and he calculated the tax considering depreciation. it came to Rs 32407. He mentioned this value in Form No 14 and asked me to take DD for this amount. I told him that i will make the payment the next day. He asked me to get the signature from the superintendent the next day before going to cash counter

Day 2:

I came to the office by 10 AM. The RTO guys came at 10:45 AM (15 min improvement compared to the previous day). I met the superintendent and produced the form no 14 along with the tax value . He said i have to produce NOC. I replied back politely that as per rules one can stick to the existing number just by paying road tax and this is mentioned in RTO website of KA. He was not convinced or pretending to be so. I met a madam who sits in a glass cubicle just after u enter Room No 11. I explained the facts to her.
She said she will ask the superintendent to sign on my form 14 provided i bring NOC. I said if i produce NOC, the existing TN number will be invalid. She said no. She also said after paying road tax, i have 11 months time to produce NOC.
I was not convinced but simply nodded my head. I again met the superintendent and explained to him the whole story. This time i suppose better sense prevailed in him. He tried to convince me to bring NOC so that i can apply for refund back in Chennai. I made it clear to him that i wish to stick to the existing TN number and that i am willing to pay road tax only.
Finally he obliged and i made the payment at cash counter. Here is the challan that i got

Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached-tax.jpg

I have removed the vehicle and challan no. only.

Guys remember one thing. You have to be strong in the rules .

BTW i did not approach a broker or pay an extra paise more for this.

The entire process took about 20 mins on both the days.

Hope this helps
suresh_gs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 17:04   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Moderator note: Use Multi Quote [Quote+], instead of back to back posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
2. Jag XF - PY Reg
3. Endy - KA 41 Reg
5. VW Jetta - KA 41 Reg

3 out of 5 are PY Reg.

On one hand we have people who evade paying road tax. On the other hand we have the RTO going on in full swing catching non KA registered vehicles.

This money is unfortunately not used by the state machinery to improve the crumbling infrastructure but to fill the pockets of the corrupt politicians.

Amazing country we live in I must say (Truly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Guess year end targets are getting to them!

Also, perhaps the fear of loss of revenue if at all uniform tax slab gets implemented effective 1 April (from what I could understand of the press release, I dont think cars which are more than 2 years and less than 10 lakhs will be charged road tax again)
KA makes maximum money out of the road tax slab. Is there any official news from the state dept confirming the uniform tax slab from April 1 onwards??

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st February 2014 at 17:16.
Old 21st February 2014, 18:13   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The first thing he said was to bring NOC from TN. I replied back politely that as per rules one can stick to the existing number just by paying road tax.
There may be some truth in what the officer said. The facility to pay the tax without NOC was formulated to fill in the coffers easily. The problem arise when one wants to get refund from KA, if the car is shifted out of state. The refund rule stipulates the car to be registered in KA to be eligible. In such a case, one has to get back to back NOCs, which may be next to impossible.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks