Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2005, 21:14   #16
BHPian

Thank God .... Putting that heavy , underpowered engine into those lightweight cars which originally came with such sweet engines (I know, everyone loves the VTEC but for a low cost vehicle , both the zen and the esteem came with a lot of power and in case of the esteem , decent handling - as someone whose previous daily driver was an esteem I can say I loved evrything about that car - reliable, light , agile and decently nippy)

Anyway, putting the TUD 5 into the gypsy won't help much at this point(even if it were EIII compliant) - the gypsy's cult following is still there - but only among a very, very miniscule portion of the car market - for most a far larger 2wd SUV such as the Sumo/Qualis (in the case of villagers and taxis) and the Scorpio (urban yuppies) with a more modern diesel engine is far more attractive - the biggest buyers of the gypsy are perhaps the armed forces and paramilitaries and in their case they are already standardised on petrol for small 4x4's and the extra performance and cold weather ability makes diesel a moot point - the monetary advantages of diesel vs petrol pale into insignificance when you consider other expenses - such as buying even a single fighter jet - the money's a small amount really.

The gypsy is dead unfortunately.... and the zen and esteem are better off with their original engines - still delivering class leading efficiency.

Last edited by zaphod : 17th April 2005 at 21:16.
Old 18th April 2005, 12:51   #17
dev
BHPian

Luckily I did not go for Zen D...

But its a hot cake in town's. Since it is from MUL.
All those people should go for a Tata or Ford Diesel
I think Ford Diesel do not meet E3 norms and they also stopped Prod. not sure. Is it correct?

Last edited by Stratos : 18th April 2005 at 12:53.
Old 18th April 2005, 13:36   #18
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerno1
well the diesel esteem/zen were meant for economy (FE) & not performance.
Thank you for reminding that to me. I thought they were outright perfomance vehicles.
Old 24th April 2005, 14:18   #19
BHPian

So this explains the 15-25k premium dealers are charging on zenD here.....
Old 24th April 2005, 19:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
Anyway, putting the TUD 5 into the gypsy won't help much at this point(even if it were EIII compliant) - the gypsy's cult following is still there - but only among a very, very miniscule portion of the car market - for most a far larger 2wd SUV such as the Sumo/Qualis (in the case of villagers and taxis) and the Scorpio (urban yuppies) with a more modern diesel engine is far more attractive - the biggest buyers of the gypsy are perhaps the armed forces and paramilitaries and in their case they are already standardised on petrol for small 4x4's and the extra performance and cold weather ability makes diesel a moot point - the monetary advantages of diesel vs petrol pale into insignificance when you consider other expenses - such as buying even a single fighter jet - the money's a small amount really.

The gypsy is dead unfortunately.... and the zen and esteem are better off with their original engines - still delivering class leading efficiency.
Yup, i agree with you, no doubt. But, imagine 5-6 years back when the Safari was launched with a diesel engine. A Gypsy-D would have made better economic sense.

I have a friend, who has put the TUD5 in his gypsy, man, the vehicle is a dream to own. Gives an average of around 16kmpl on the highways. Take the roof-off and you have an excellent outdoors vehicle for venturing into the wilds..

I am not talking about the armed forces here, even though the armed forces use diesels for most of their vehicles.

Diesel 4x4 give better traction and engine braking while offroading than their petrol counterparts, especially while wading through a shallow river or descending slopes.
Old 24th April 2005, 20:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
Luckily I did not go for Zen D...

But its a hot cake in town's. Since it is from MUL.
All those people should go for a Tata or Ford Diesel
I think Ford Diesel do not meet E3 norms and they also stopped Prod. not sure. Is it correct?
They stopped selling it in some cities which have upped their emissions requirements. It is still on sale in other places.

About time they chucked it, though. I wish they launched one of their advanced new diesels earning accolades in Europe right now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks