Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2019, 12:45   #61
BHPian

Re: Registration expiry and re-registration/renewal process

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Do I have to pay tax for all these unused years if going for a re-registration now after restoring it?
Yes, you need to pay fine, even when the delay is one day!.

Fine for delay in applying for Renewal of registration

a) Delay up to 3 months: Transport Vehicles – Rs. 200/-; Non Transport Vehicles – Rs. 100/-

b) Delay of 3 to 6 months: Transport Vehicles – Rs. 300/-; Non Transport Vehicles – Rs. 200/-

c) Delay of more than 6 months: Transport Vehicles – Rs. 500/-; Non Transport Vehicles – Rs. 300/-

d) Motor Cycle: Rs. 300/- per month or part thereof; Other Non-Transport Vehicles: Rs. 500/- per month or part thereof with effect from 29.12.2016

e) Compounding fee u/s 192: Motor Cycle/3 wheeler – Rs. 2000/-; LMV (NTV) - Rs. 2000/-; LMV(TV) – Rs. 3000/-; MMV – Rs. 4000/-; HMV – Rs. 5000/-

For more details: VEHICLE REGISTRATION FEES

Last edited by Romins : 18th February 2019 at 12:46.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 13:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
Fine for delay in applying for Renewal of registration
Oh! Thank you. I forgot about the MVD Kerala site. So for 48 month's fine, I would end up paying more than the value of the bike. Hence dropping the idea of resurrecting it.

P.S: But how come the fine for motorcycles only mentioned as per month and the others one time (?).
Old 18th February 2019, 19:26   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
P.S: But how come the fine for motorcycles only mentioned as per month and the others one time (?).
I think the maximum is 2000 for motorcycle. I will confirm this next week. I will be going to KL and meeting an expert on saturday. Don't think of scrapping as an easy process. There is a detailed procedure for that, including showing the engine and chassis part with numbers at the RTO, so that you are exempted from paying tax in the future. Consult a good agent for the process. Don't just give the bike to a scrap dealer.

Anyhow, if you are going to use the motorcycle for next five years, it is worth restoring it and paying the tax. Especially since is a bike which is still selling in the market and spare parts availability is easy. A well maintained HH Splendor will outlive any of us. My two cents...
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 12:02   #64
BHPian

How time flies …
(Written on 2/16/2019)

Since I started this thread with queries for Registration Renewal 10 year back, today my RX100 went for its third Registration Renewal. Thought I will share my experience, if it can be of any help to others. This narration also might instill some confidence in those who are wary of any RTO experiences.

My RC was due for renewal on 4th Feb. Though I knew it's sometime in Feb, did not realize it's on 4th till the previous Saturday evening. Luckily, I had done my Pollution Certificate and a routine service of the vehicle on Saturday in preparation for the upcoming RTO visit. Regarding service, looks like some of the standard service stations are not servicing RX100s anymore. Pacer told me that they don't do it anymore and I should be getting the service done from any local mechanic. I was surprised to hear this. I can understand that parts must've become out of supply, but a routine service is something they should undertake, I suppose. Anyways, my local mechanic, who always wanted to service my RX100 got that opportunity this time. And, I should admit that, he has done a pretty good job. The bike has got its josh back and runs like a breeze now.

So, I informed at work about a half day off and set out around 10am to Bangalore East RTO, which is now located in Ramamurthy Nagar, though it's called Kasturi Nagar RTO.

Stopped by a Xerox shop near the RTO for routine envelop with Rs. 18 postal stamp affixed, in which your Renewed RC will be mailed to you, a folder to keep all the documents, copy of Insurance, copy of Pollution Certificate, and a copy of RC Book (yes, I still have the book form of the RC). Placed everything in the folder and walked up to the 2nd floor Non-Transport section, unware of the situation awaiting up there. As I mentioned in another post, I was surprised to see nobody behind the counters till 11am . Later, somebody told me that the registration counters are closed till 8th Feb due to a software freeze because of the ongoing upgrade to Vahan 4 software. Multiple people and the Superintendent told me that there is nothing else that can be done till the new software is up and running and asked me to come back after 8th. I was in trouble since my RC was expiring on that day and they just disowned me completely. Of course, it's not their problem, but my lack of being careful. So, returned home.

I continued to check for the VAHAN software upgrade and on 7th or so I could check on the portal for my registration number. It listed all transactions that can be done, but when I chose Fitness Certificate (for lack of Registration Renewal option on the landing page), it said it's only for Transport vehicles. So, thinking the software is still being upgraded or not yet fully operational, I waited for another week and saw no change in the options available. So, being crunched for weekday time, decided to make a visit to RTO on a Saturday.

Reached RTO Non-Transport section at around 11am and after moving across many counters, reached the Application Receiving counter (looks like they have different counters for different registration number series). The lady staff behind the counter told me that I should apply online and come back with the fees paid receipt. I was baffled and told her I could not find the option to which she gave me a long and unfriendly Kannada lecture which essentially meant, if there was no option for Non-Transport vehicles, she would not have asked me to do it and come back. Then she pointed to a sheet of paper posted on the glass window with some handwriting mentioning that the Misc option should be chosen for RC renewal, not FC option. One thing I realize every time I visit this place is that, the biggest issue is lack of adequate information and guidance. Whoever has that information is not very willing to share or share partial information which causes people to run around, that too multiple times. She wrote the fee to be paid and handed over the file back to me. She also asked for Change of Address to which I said my current address is different, but will do the change of address later. Then, she said renewed RC will be mailed to the address mentioned in the RC book. Though Form 23 clearly mentions that change of address is not mandatory with RC renewal, who wants to argue with a staff who is already not in best of her spirits. I said ok. That will make me go back home and get my address proof. And, I thought I will do the online application from home, which I would realize later that was a dream waiting to be shattered.

So, rushed home, got the BSNL Telephone Bill copy, signed into the portal and entered registration and chassis number. And, here comes the pop up saying, registration is not valid, can't proceed. As mentioned earlier, my registration duly expired on 4th Feb. Alright, there was nothing much I could do, but go back to RTO office. Got back to the lady staff with my story and she guided me to another counter. From her indifferent response, I guessed it's a routine stuff there to have people coming in with expired RCs.

So, went to the counter and waited for a long time, while the person of interest was discussing with everybody else sitting around him and showing expressions of surprise and awe on their faces, that made all of us, his clients, feel that the software is misbehaving. When my turn came he got to the job. Then he wanted me to get an OTP from a lady staff at a faraway counter. Looks like they are using a phone number for the OTP to login and that phone is going around the office. Then, I went looking for the lady staff with the precious phone and she, instead giving me the OTP, gave the phone to another person to be returned to our man. Now, I asked him whether he entered Change of Address in the application, for which he wanted the form duly filled and sent me back. I went down, got a form from the shop opposite to RTO for Rs. 2, filled it up and came back to the counter. Then, he got my stuff done and asked me to go pay the fees at the first floor counter. Went there, lived the queue life, paid Rs. 1201/- (Smart Card fee: 137, Green Tax: 250, Renewal of Registration: 300, Penalty (for delay): 300, Change of Address: 150, Some misc charge:64 ) got receipt and went back to the lady staff whom I met earlier. She looked at everything and asked me to go and get the inspection done. Now, when I went downstairs, there was no inspection going on anywhere. Then, I went and asked at the shop. People manning the shop appears to have all the answers. The lady came out and called out to one of the agents and he said morning inspection is over and afternoon one is going on behind the RTO, at the ground. Morning inspections are done in front of Sainik Welfare Board, which is visible from the RTO premises. Ground behind RTO is used for driving test in the morning. Afternoon inspections are done in the RTO ground. When I went there, I saw one MVI sitting there supervising driving tests. He told me that other folks are out for lunch and will be back only by 3pm. Time was 1:45pm then. So, I decided to eat something from a Pure Veg place opposite to RTO where a Full Meal costed Rs. 60/-. Don't look around or bother much about quality and cleanliness when you have no other options around and you never know how long you'll have to starve if you don't pick that meal now. Food was decent, restaurant was reasonably clean, and they had kept a bottle of Dettol liquid soap at the hand wash, which was a big plus.

Got back to the waiting area and waited and waited. Now, around 3pm an MVI came out from a secret door with a bunch of people around him. A line of cars had formed in front of the inspection area, most of them new Taxi cabs. He took file after file and asked the owners to read out chassis and engine number. Whoever had not taken a pencil impression of the chassis number on the first sheet of the application form (he was particular about it and I was asked to take the impression on the first page though I had it on the page where it was asked for) were sent back to do that. When I showed by file, he asked me to bring the bike, I brought the bike and stood behind the line of cars. Then an RTO vehicle came and the folks in the vehicle talked with the MVI for some time and then they all vanished together. I waited for almost 30 minutes in the hot sun wearing the helmet with no sign of the MVI coming back and later moved to the waiting area. Time just passed and no sign of the MVI yet. Then, another MVI in civil dress came in and asked all waiting FC people to go and come back Monday morning. I told him that the earlier officer saw my file and wanted to see the bike. Then, he asked me to wait. Then, he started seeing vehicles, mainly new ones. Then he went off. Rest of the folks waited. It was around 4:30pm and people started leaving. Then around 4:40 the RTO vehicle came in. The MVI signed files for two vehicles that were almost exiting the parking area. Then, he asked for my file and asked the driver of the RTO vehicle to check/take pencil impression. The driver looked at my application and saw the pencil impression and asked me to go get MVI's signature. Myself and another person went up to his office. He looked at the application and said he needs the pencil impression on the first page. I went down and took the impression on the first page and came up. He signed on the third page. Then, I had to go into another room to get seal and further signature done and an entry made in a register where I had to sign against the entry. Then, we had to hand over the application at the inward counter. Now, around 10 minutes of waiting and the counter person was not seen. Upon checking with the lady at the counter who reviewed the application in the morning, she said it's already 4:50, and asked us to come back next day. We went back and waited at the inward counter again. Another 5 minutes or so, the person showed up like an angel, made the entries and handed over the Acknowledgement slip, which is valid for 30 days. He said the RC will come in 30 day time. So, It was almost 5pm and that was the end to an eventful day.

Few things to note:
1. Change of address is recommended, if your current address is different from what is mentioned in the RC. Though, it's not mandatory somebody can pull a trick on you, if they intend to. So, go for it unless otherwise there is a genuine reason for not doing so.
2. Pencil impression of chassis number on first page of the application is preferred. Can avoid another impression, if some officer doesn't like the 2nd or 3rd page impressions
3. It's online application system now, except in cases of validity expiry or other scenarios where customer is unable to submit an application.
4. The key to a good experience, based on few of my RTO interactions (3 RC renewals, 1 NOC, two vehicle RC transfers, one DL renewal) during the past few years are:
- know what documents are required
- know which counter to go for what purpose
- converse with others standing behind, in front, or beside you - you could get lot of valuable information from them, many of them might be agents who almost live there
- knowing Kannada is a big advantage
- patience, patience and more patience. You can never have enough of it
- persistence, if somebody asks you to go and come back next day, don't be a good boy and just walk off. Stay around, things might change, another person might show up, or the unexpected might happen, like the MVI returning almost at the end of the workday.
rex_varghese is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 09:49   #65
BHPian

So I have a 2003 Rx 135 4-speed purchased in Chennai. Early this year, i got the bike's FC renewed and the RC is now valid till 2024.
Since i have moved to Bangalore, I wanted to get this bike re-registered in Bangalore.
Not knowing what i was getting into, i got the NoC from TN RTO.
Got the bike to Bangalore and when i went to a Driving school in Koramangala BDA complex, i got the shock of my life.

I had all the documents except the original invoice. I remember i paid around 53-55k on road for my bike in 2003.
Following is the break-up i got;
Re-Registration charges - 8k
RTO Tax (55k *14%) ~ 7.5-8k.
Total around 15k. He even advised me to cancel the NOC and run it as is.

Grudgingly, I just took my papers and went home.

Now i did some more research and found that for vehicles > 15 years, the road tax will be 25% of the Tax when registering new and not as much the driving school agent mentioned.
So i'm expecting the tax to be around 2k and not 8k.
The official re registration fee is around 1k and not 8k. (i may be wrong, but max fee i saw was 2.5k for a imported motor cycle)

So the total expense for re-registration should be within 5k including broker fees.

I need help with the following;
1) Since i do not have a original invoice, i have to go through an agent. If someone can share me an Rx135 invoice, i would like to do it myself.
2) Does anyone know any agent near Koramangala RTO who can do this at a reasonable cost?
Old 7th November 2019, 15:01   #66
BHPian

aid Rs. 1201/- (Smart Card fee: 137, Green Tax: 250, Renewal of Registration: 300, Penalty (for delay): 300, Change of Address: 150, Some misc charge:64 )

One query : I understand the renewal was done 10 years back. Any idea if there is any late fee for re-registration. Is it always Rs.300/- or currently there is no late fee ask. I got to hear from some reliable source there is no more late fee.

My RX-135 renewal was due on Dec 2018, but since owner was out of country and due to signature mismatch could not do first HPT (HP Termination) and further renewal.

I'm planning to go North RTO (KA-04) along with the owner since that was what RTO mandated to bring the owner along to check the signature mismatch issue.

So first I need to get the HPT done and then do get bike inspection & renewal of registration. One of close RTO agent told both can happen same day. But still fingers crossed as owner is only available for one day and also not sure of the delay fee if there is any. Oh God please save this core enthusiast petrol head.

Regards
Prsn
Old 13th November 2019, 09:52   #67
BHPian

Folks,

With gods grace I could do the following things pending for my RX-135. I'm just re-collecting all things which could help anyone in future and jotting it down here. My experience is at RTO (N) - Yeshwanthpur.

1. HPT (Hypothecation Termination)
2. RRC (Renewal of Registration Certificate)
3. TO (Transfer of Ownership)

RTO is always a scary place for anyone doing it individually. But I assure you once you go there, people will help you though officials are not so friendly as you expect to provide all information in a platter. But if you ask them, they are ready to help.

If you have the time and patience, you could save lots of money. I just paid total of R.s 1711/- for the following things mentioned above. I presume as you would already know the documents needed for the following - my case was unique. There was signature mismatch during HPT and my RC book was kept on hold during HP Termination in Aug 2018 till date. There was no fee for late payment of RC renewal which was due for close to an year, being signature mismatch of previous owner.

I went along with owner, he signed in the HP documents again as per one official mentioned with the date. Since HPT challan (payment fee for HP Termination) was void since it was almost more than a year I took in Aug 2018, I had to pay that again.

Then I also had to do the Renewal of RC (Along with vehicle inspection).

1. Form 25 duly filled (Get the chassis no. etched with a pencil on the form preferably in first page)
2. Valid Insure and Pollution xerox copies
3. Original RC Book/Smart card
4. Keep all this tied together and keep in a paper file folder
5. Envelope (rs. 18/-) for sending back the updated RC Smart card with your address. mobile no. and vehicle no. written on it

Make sure the superintendent (one of the official who verify this documents and write down manually in the form the application fee based on HPT, TO, RRC. ). Once it is written, give it for data entry one person sitting in-front of desktop. There maybe more, just ask where is data entry or anyone will help you.

Once data entry is done, you can go for fee payment. It is also easy (keep the change ready) and they will issue the challan receipt for the fee paid. It will include some fee for smart card (Some Rs. 60 I think). If you have the HPT, RRC, TO, it is advised to do it all in one go and save precious time (one day in RTO) and some amount of money since for smart card each time they charge few bucks. Next you can take the vehicle for Inspection along with the forms, challans etc.

My bike was ready in all aspects (Make sure Horn, headlamp, break-light, indicators working, RHS and LHS side view mirrors, tyres in good condition).l Once this is verified and satisfied, inspector put his signature on Form-25. Then take this form to office again for putting seal (plus some data entry) next to the Inspector signature. Verfiy this again with the first superintendent for final hand-over to the person who will give you the acknowledgment receipt. Keep that receipt always handy (1 month the updated RC will come to your address mentioned in Envelope) in case of any regular follow-up beyond 1 month and during your ride to show anyone that it is WIP.

Few pointers :

1. Always ask official about next step if you are not clear. If not replied in asking once, they will give info second time. Be polite, don't be rude ever. They are here to serve you, but they multi-task high time than a tech savvy professional.
2. Each step is important. Like without official jolting down manually the fee in your application with a red pen, it can't go for Data entry. Like wise without data entry in a computer, you can't go for challan (fee) payment.
3. First time is always scary for any new comer (read newbie in an RTO) who is giving the application for the first time. Next you will be experienced and get used to behavioral traits of RTO.
4. Keep pen, eraser, stapler, forms, file holder, glue, photo etc,. handy.
5. Plead, plead in cases like silly things like (lunch time closure, if you are last person plead once, they will take your request as you need to wait say more than an hour after lunch time)
6. You can see many applicants like you saving money - but with lots of patience and time taking effort. My personal opinion is it's worth knowing what you ride on road takes lots of effort in papers to be road worthy in all means.

Please feel free to PM me or let know any things more that I can help with. Next I have my Baleno for renewal in Jan 2020.

Regards
Prsn
prsnck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 21:03   #68
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I wish that in India we had a system of regular roadworthiness checks for older vehicles - an equivalent the MOT certification that you have to undergo every year in the UK if you have an old/ classic vehicle.

My 15 year old Gypsy luckily has its FC valid until 2032 so for the moment Im easy.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 21:17   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My 15 year old Gypsy luckily has its FC valid until 2032 so for the moment Im easy.
Hi Shankar, how did you get an additional 13 year FC validity on of a 15 year old car please? Isn't it meant to be 5 years at a time post the initial 10 years?
Old 15th November 2019, 17:59   #70
Senior - BHPian

My Santro Xing was bought and registered in Dec 2004 in Bengaluru.

In 2013, I got NOC and registered it in Ghaziabad as I had shifted here.

Now its registration of 15 years is coming to an end.

Any idea if its possible to renew it in Ghaziabad now (after 15 years) ?

If not in NCR, Is it possible to do it in Mumbai (I have an address proof of Mumbai). Can send the documents to Mumbai and get it done there.

Any agents that people may be aware of who can do this ?
Old 16th November 2019, 08:27   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Any idea if its possible to renew it in Ghaziabad now (after 15 years) ?

If not in NCR, Is it possible to do it in Mumbai (I have an address proof of Mumbai). Can send the documents to Mumbai and get it done there.

Any agents that people may be aware of who can do this ?
Please hurry up and get an NOC from Ghaziabad RTO for your RTO in Mumbai, and get the car registered in Mumbai before the car turns 15. Once the car is registered in Mumbai, you can get the registration renewed there once it expires in December.
If your car crosses 15 years of age while having a Delhi NCR registration, it will not be possible to get the registration renewed again and you will neither be able to take it out on public roads nor sell it.

Also, a heads up: you will not be able to run your 15+ year old Mumbai registered car in Ghaziabad. The law states that old vehicles registered in other states are also not allowed to run in Delhi NCR.
boniver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:33   #72
BHPian

My wife owns a Maruti 800 that was registered in her maiden name. As the car was being used by her brother, we didn’t bother to have the surname changed after our marriage. Subsequently, my brother in law acquired a new car and the Maruti 800 was returned to her.

In the meantime, the registration has expired. We are in the process of renewing the same but since my wife’s identity documents are with her new surname, we are in a quandary.

When we visited the local RTO in Secunderabad, the clerk at the counter couldn’t grasp why a change the name in the registration is required and insists on treating it as a transfer of the vehicle.

In this context, we didn’t face a problem at the same RTO when my wife’s driving license was renewed and simultaneously, the surname was changed.

Any suggestions how we go about
  1. renewing the registration and
  2. changing the name to reflect other legal records/documents.
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:38   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
Any suggestions how we go about
  1. renewing the registration and
  2. changing the name to reflect other legal records/documents.
An affidavit intimating change in surname should suffice. Attach the affidavit along with the required documents and it should take care of the process.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 21:09   #74
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a Bullet Thunderbird 2002 model. I did not use this bike for nearly 10 years for various reasons and just gave it for overhauling recently. Its almost back to original shape, new tyres, lights, indicators, etc. I was under the impression that the RC was valid for 20 years, but realised it expired in 2017. After reading this thread, I understand I have to pay Rs. 300/month x 36 months or Rs. 10,800 + 2,000 = Rs. 12,800. Is this correct?

Is the fitness certificate also covered in RC renewal (I assume RC itself is a fitness certificate)?

Is the LTT paid in 2002 still valid? I have always kept my insurance renewed on time.

My address has also changed, but do I need to go to the RTO office which originally issued the RC or can I go to any branch?

Thanks!
Old 7th September 2020, 22:08   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by incinerator View Post
Is the fitness certificate also covered in RC renewal (I assume RC itself is a fitness certificate)?
Yes, somewhere around that. You never know exactly until you check it up.

Renewing RC itself is the FC. No other LTT, but there could be some green tax. I paid that for my car renewal.

Not related to this case, but on another note:

Does anyone know if there is any extension for RC renewal during these COVID times, particularly for the RC's expired during those lock down days?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks