Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2005, 16:18   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
I think Skoda's problem is that they dont have a plant to make these cars. So far they have been assembling SKD Octys and that's easy, but setting up a full fledged plant is no joke.......and hence the delay. Bringing in the Fabia as SKD will make it pricey.
That's what I've been saying. Skoda have been here since 2002 - why do they still not have a plant? Assembling SKD Octavias is never going to make them anything more than a niche player.

If they built a plant that would have been the foot in the doorstep for VW to bring in their whole range of products (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda). They should have been planning to build their own plant from the first day they entered the Indian market. Does anyone know if Skoda has even finalized on a site for their Indian plant?
Old 29th April 2005, 22:53   #17
BHPian

I very well agree with ajmat. Skoda kicked off well with octy and they are still doing well, so as well concentrate more on octy. Even if they bring fabia where are they gonna assemble it??? i know skoda bought a new assembling plant but i am sure its gonna take a lot more time.
The engine options available in europe are:
1.2,1.4,2.0,1.9SDI,1.9TDI

Most intriguing, there is also a New Fabia vRS 'hot hatch' powered by a 1.9L TDI PD producing 130BHP (breath breath!!) . Would be really interesting to see what engine options will be available!

Last edited by Mr.Rage : 29th April 2005 at 23:01.
Old 29th April 2005, 23:19   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Rage
Most intriguing, there is also a New Fabia vRS 'hot hatch' powered by a 1.9L TDI PD producing 130BHP (breath breath!!) . Would be really interesting to see what engine options will be available!

Just wating for that too be launched. i hope its as exciting as the OHC was and handles as the OHC if not better. Though 100/106 horses of the OHC and the 130 of the Fabia will have the same BHP/TON as the Fabia will weigh more.

Last edited by Montoya : 29th April 2005 at 23:21.
Old 30th April 2005, 08:31   #19
Team-BHP Support

They have a plant in aurangabad. Octy's were initially put together in an old Siemns plant, now they moved into their own. Main issue is to avoid having excess capacity and unpredictable tax structures. GM got hit badly and only recovered after adding the Tavera and Optra. Skoda do not have an MPV.

Capacity could be used for Audi's if they take off and high end VW's if they decide against putting a plants up.
Old 30th April 2005, 14:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

The Fabia is a pretty normal entry-level sedan without the space you get in other cars in that segment. It will also be pretty expensive, and unless they can manufacture it here at least partly it will be priced out of the market. At a projected 8-9 lakhs who would want to buy a car that doesnt have the kind of space that you would get in an Indigo or a NHC?

If it does come in, it should be priced at 6 lakhs or less because the car does look pretty oddball-ish. The looks would take a lot of getting used to except for the 'Combi' which is the only version that looks nice.

Like somebody pointed out, this segment is VERY price-sensitive and an overpriced product will bomb.
Old 30th April 2005, 23:14   #21
BANNED

6 Lacs wont be possible for Skoda but it should not exceed 8 lacs in any condition and in 8 lacs they should launch a 1.6 Octy.
Old 1st May 2005, 00:05   #22
BHPian

fabia photos

check out this pics -- this cars looks great but.......i dont think this will be a big hit as it looks smaller than other cars in its category and not to forget the pricing... its pretty costlier than the ikons and accents and corsas

combi

hatch

sedan
Old 1st May 2005, 08:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Skoda as a company is a little paranoid. They were too scared to open an office in India and used to work out of a hotel room initially. This is completely opposite attitude to Hyundai's aggresive strategy.
Old 1st May 2005, 19:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hey,
I spoke to an autobahn skoda official a few days back about the Fabia launch.He told me that they are no concrete plans as yet to launch it,but if they do it would not be before november 2005.He said they're planning to break into the B segment,as it has a lot of potential.He even mentioned that the Superb is not doing as well as expected.Its maybe due to the pricing.

X
Old 1st May 2005, 23:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar
check out this pics -- this cars looks great but.......i dont think this will be a big hit as it looks smaller than other cars in its category and not to forget the pricing... its pretty costlier than the ikons and accents and corsas

combi

hatch

sedan
Dude

See it for real (that is, with other cars in perspective) and the sedan looks pretty odd - it looks like they left the boot halfway while the front looks like somebody compressed the front of an Octavia. Without the length of the Skoda this car looks very ugly.

The HATCH, however, looks nice (I mentioned combi as well in an earlier post, but the hatch looks better than the combi too).
Old 2nd May 2005, 01:09   #26
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Imagine the fabia with the brilliant 1.9 TDi engine. The mileage would be like a bike
Now, if only Fabia had some space at the back........
Old 2nd May 2005, 12:53   #27
BANNED

Tha fabia is truly Ikonish.. looks like one
and as its really cramped at the back.
Old 2nd May 2005, 13:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Dude

See it for real (that is, with other cars in perspective) and the sedan looks pretty odd - it looks like they left the boot halfway while the front looks like somebody compressed the front of an Octavia. Without the length of the Skoda this car looks very ugly.

The HATCH, however, looks nice (I mentioned combi as well in an earlier post, but the hatch looks better than the combi too).
I agree about the looks, Steer, but remember this is a car about the same size as the New Honda City. Off Topic - I still have the Top Gear magazine group test of the Citroen C3, the VW Polo, Skoda Fabia, Ford Fiesta and the Honda Jazz hatches - July 2003 issue, I think!

If Skoda brings in the Fabia sedan at a similar price as the NHC, with a good TDI engine (the Octy's 1.9L TDI would do great) it would be a great hit. I would even venture that it would kill the NHC. The reason is that the Indian consumer does not give two hoots for looks - he only cares about FE.
Old 2nd May 2005, 14:34   #29
BHPian

I can't understand all the excitement abt Fabia, It will be a decent car..

but I dont see anything to get pumped up about..
Old 2nd May 2005, 14:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand
I can't understand all the excitement abt Fabia, It will be a decent car..

but I dont see anything to get pumped up about..
My point exactly. Also the fact that its majorly cramped for space - if the Octy backseat is bad, imagine what it would be like on a MUCH smaller version of the same.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks