Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2005, 18:19   #31

the wagon r should be better for four people due to the 50:50 divided rear seats. this division is a novel feature as the person in the backseat can easily recline the back and make himself comfortable. Wagon R's engine is also more powerful than the zens and the car is a bit cheaper than the zen. the EPS (electronic power stearing) makes the Wagon R an easy and a light car to drive, though the steering is quite unresponsive and feels dead.
Old 1st May 2005, 19:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imandeep
the EPS (electronic power stearing) makes the Wagon R an easy and a light car to drive, though the steering is quite unresponsive and feels dead.
On the contrary, the EPS in the Wagon-R has more feel than either Alto or Zen. It is quite responsive for an EPS and not as dead as you mention it to be.

Revv
Old 1st May 2005, 20:29   #33
BHPian

The Wagon R with EPS as mostly said.

However best would be to take your folks for a test drive and have their opinion too.

Tarun
Old 1st May 2005, 22:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Everyone is suggesting WagonR but I myself can not stop pointing at Alto LXi
Alto LXi is a 800cc car with AC & Power steering fitts your needs
also getting in & out issue is fine but his father is used to M800 so I don't think he will feel much of a problem
WagonR, Zen might have bigger engine but for older people it hardly makes any difference
Old 10th May 2005, 02:56   #35
BHPian

talking with the 60+ gang

Hi Prasad

To give you a background, My dad is also over 60 and till last year drove an 800 which he upgraded to a Zen. He is not an auto enthusiast and drives slow(well most of the time, anyway!). He drives 15km a day and thats in Delhi.

Last year, we bought a zen lx without power steering and windows..He likes the Zen a lot and there were no problems with him adapting to it. He quite enjoys the powerful aircon and my mom appreciates the improvement in ride quality. We're as such not tall boy fans therefore we bought the Zen and not the Santro last year.

This year with his spondilitis showing up, we have decided to go for a car which is easier to drive and eases strain on his back.

Now for the real info- Most of his close friends drive the Santro and he is also looking forward to his new Santro Xing XP with retrofitted power windows. We didnt want more frills. We're just waiting for the Swift to be released and the prices to stablize. Power steering and windows were my precondition to the new car.

While talking to his friends i asked them why they all went for the Santro ?
The tall boy design with easy driving, easy access, etc were the reasons. They all agreed on a certain major dislike for the "dabba" design of the wagonR. Also the Santro was reliable and had a smooth ride.
In most cases, these cars are driven with max 2 people with the children, all having their own conveyances. I was also told that the ride in the back seat was a little uncomfortable but quite ok for short distances.

Out of his 5 close friends:
1 esteem
1 santro Older model
2 santro Xing
1 Zen (his)

Just some information that I think you might find helpful...
Old 10th May 2005, 09:33   #36
BHPian

Hey, please consider the fact that Zen's lower ground clearance could be a problem for you here in Bangalore, especially with more than 2 poeple in the car.
Old 10th May 2005, 10:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

the zen is too old a design to be bought in 2005.the only thing going for it is the superb engine and its FE.and at 60+ engine or performance will be of least importance.
the xing sukkks.dunno how hyundai manages to sell so many.i just did a 2500kms drive in a 99 santro and have decided that henceforth i would never ever sit in a santro.
the wagon r is good .being a tall boy,it will be easier to get in and out of the car.and with maruti's superb ASS,i feel thats the car to go for.

or else you could wait for the Swift.
Old 11th May 2005, 10:52   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay
They all agreed on a certain major dislike for the "dabba" design of the wagonR.
I beleive style is truly a personal thing. Look at the Scion xB, no production car can be any more boxier than this. It is the perfect dabba, yet it is one of the very popular cars among the youth.
http://www.scion.com/release_series/xb/index.html

The Wagon R is along the same lines, you either love it or hate the design. That said, I am waiting to see the pricing and availability info for Swift. Thanks for all your inputs, I appreciate it.
-Prasadee

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks