Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 21:41   #61
BHPian

RIghtly said greenhorn!

This is something thats been in my mind for long.. I simply cant stand an Indica being "tortured" for we owned a lovely Indica V2 till 3 years back. We used to care for our Indi so much and she never let us down, not even once. Not even a rattle after 4 years.

Its the way in which a car is taken care of that determines its long term quality. Perhaps thats why most Indica owners complain of the car's "poor quality" and "niggling problems".
Old 18th March 2009, 22:20   #62
Senior - BHPian

revhappy, I think there are a total of 5
type 1 is the original indica taillamp shown in sudheesh's car. it was used in all indicas made till the first redesign in 2004
type 2 is the cityrover style taillamp that has shown up in some indicabs
Why do so many indica owners mistreat their cars?-cr.jpg
It is similar to the original , except for the clear lens for the indicators as opposed to amber in the original
type 3 is the indica sport concept tail lamps , now more popularly known as the indicab tail lamps
Why do so many indica owners mistreat their cars?-sport.jpg
Type 4 and 5
Why do so many indica owners mistreat their cars?-light89.jpg
type 4 in the left, 5 in the right.
type 4 was used from 2004 till 2006. note that these taillamps had only one reverse light, and the corresponding light in the other taillamp worked as the foglight. however the foglight was present only in the higher models

type 5 is was introduced in 2007, and remains in production till today
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2009, 22:29   #63
Senior - BHPian

Nice research Greenhorn !
Old 18th March 2009, 22:32   #64
BHPian

Quote:
type 4 was used from 2004 till 2006. note that these taillamps had only one reverse light, and the corresponding light in the other taillamp worked as the foglight. however the foglight was present only in the higher models
I suppose that for this particular type (4), none of the Indian versions had rear foglamps (which includes LXi / DLX / GLX). As you rightly mentioned, there was only one reverse light but the other 'reverse' light was a dummy which never came with the red lens for a fog light. That feature was only available for the export versions.
Old 18th March 2009, 22:33   #65
Senior - BHPian

heh thanks. similarly there are 4 styles of headlamps (5 if you count the current indigo headlamp which is a drop in replacement except for the wiring !)

and I recall they came with the provision for a rear 'fog lamp'. all one had to do was add a bulb and wire it up. Nowadays, in the type 5 tail lamps, in the GLS/DLS versions (which dont have working rear fog lamps) , they come with bulbs in the rear fog lamp holders. and, all one needs to do is wire them up
PS: more discussion on that here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...p-indicas.html

Last edited by greenhorn : 18th March 2009 at 22:42.
Old 18th March 2009, 22:54   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
heh thanks. similarly there are 4 styles of headlamps (5 if you count the current indigo headlamp which is a drop in replacement except for the wiring !)

PS: more discussion on that here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...p-indicas.html
Does that 5 includes the current Vista one as well?
And ya nice research with images
Old 18th March 2009, 23:01   #67
BHPian

Umm... The point is that the lens of the non-working foglamp in the Indian Indicas had a white lens but the export versions had red lens. Also, in the export versions, the right rear tail lamp was the foglamp (in type 4/5) whereas in the Indian versions it was reserved for the left taillamp.

In the Indian version, note that both sockets (right and left) had white lenses.

whereas in the export version, note the difference in the right and left taillamp, the right foglight has a reddish lens.

Why do so many indica owners mistreat their cars?-indica.jpg

So, did the rear foglamp in Type 4/5 high end models have a red bulb in clear lens?

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 18th March 2009 at 23:12.
Old 19th March 2009, 00:44   #68
BHPian

Thanks for the comments harry.

Yes, generally Indicas are driven more. One more thing to note, it gives more comfort and safety than cars of similar price. My friend I mentioned was having a ZEN D, with more mileage than Indica. But for long trips with luggage, Indica proved to be more comfortable. I remember still the comment made by him after a non stop drive from Kodaikanal to Trivandrum via Madurai-Thirumangalam-Srivilliputtur-Rajapalayam-Tenkasi-Shencotta-Tenmala-Kulathupuzha-Ayoor-Trivandrum. Indica is very relaxed and stable for cruising at 80-110 Kph in our twisty highways.

Some shots from the trip to Kodaikanal in April 2006.

Why do so many indica owners mistreat their cars?-100_1761.jpg

Big brothers around & bad, choked hill roads

Why do so many indica owners mistreat their cars?-100_1837.jpg

The tyres were bald then (2006), had logged in 60k km.

Why do so many indica owners mistreat their cars?-100_1836.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Quiet a valid point Sudheesh. Because its diesel and cost of fuel is less so its driven more in comparison to its petrol counterparts and that leads to more wear and tear of the vehicle.
BTW you have maintained it nicely
Old 19th March 2009, 07:31   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Umm... The point is that the lens of the non-working foglamp in the Indian Indicas had a white lens but the export versions had red lens. Also, in the export versions, the right rear tail lamp was the foglamp (in type 4/5) whereas in the Indian versions it was reserved for the left taillamp.

So, did the rear foglamp in Type 4/5 high end models have a red bulb in clear lens?
salil, I agree about the type 4, but the type 5 has seperate reverse and rear fog lamps on either side. I've verified this with my DLG (which has rear fogs), and a friend's GLS ( which doesnt ) . check the other thread for more info
Quote:
Does that 5 includes the current Vista one as well?
And ya nice research with images
Nope , the vista headlight isnt related to the indica ones
the types are
1. the original indica headlight
2. same as the above, but with black plastic surrounds for the reflectors . This was used for some indicabs. the regular headlights have the plastics chrome plated, and the reflectors are amber. I didnt know about this one, found out from salilpawar!

3. same as the original indica headlight with clear lens
Why do so many indica owners mistreat their cars?-indicaxeta1.jpg
4. current indica headlight with redesigned reflectors
Why do so many indica owners mistreat their cars?-dicor.jpeg
5. indigo headlamps with seperate high/low beams and the indicator on top (clear lens for indicator)
Why do so many indica owners mistreat their cars?-tata-indigo.jpg
6. indigo XL headlamps - similar to 5, except amber lens for the indicators
Why do so many indica owners mistreat their cars?-indigoxl.jpg

Just remembered the XL ones were again different

Last edited by greenhorn : 19th March 2009 at 07:44.
Old 19th March 2009, 09:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post

In the Indian version, note that both sockets (right and left) had white lenses.

whereas in the export version, note the difference in the right and left taillamp, the right foglight has a reddish lens.

Attachment 113408

but here in this Indica, the red fog lamp is at the left side.
ohh and that green city rover looks better than current 2007 Indica. still looks fresh and neat. turly european design.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do so many indica owners mistreat their cars?-tata_indica_2624_16.jpg  

Last edited by tushky : 19th March 2009 at 09:57.
Old 19th March 2009, 09:57   #71
Senior - BHPian

Ok, finally this has come full circle .
Was giving a lift to a friend who has a wagon R. he was shocked by the way I drove over potholes and speed bumps. He asked me whether I cared for my car's suspension, and that they'd be tired if I drove this way pretty soon. So I guess I've also become one of those abusers.

My reason? as I've found out, because the indica can handle it. His wagon R would bottom out with these potholes, while I don't have that issue. I guess its all a matter of perspective
Old 19th March 2009, 11:26   #72
BANNED

In the discussion on headlamps, the original Indigo units have been omitted. These are important because they are the only ones that can be fit into the pre-2004 Indicas as repacement units. These are essentially the same ones as seen in the Green Xeta picture on this page but without the headlight level adjustment switch and related wiring.
Old 19th March 2009, 15:23   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Another big factor here is the frequent upgrades that have happenned to the Indica platform.

To give an example, a cousin of mine bought the NA Indica diesel. He was proud of his car. Within a year or so, there was a Turbo version in the same pack and his car became a bit outdated. He was still with it.

A few months later the Dicor was released on the Indigo. We began speculating the eventuality of that percolating down to the hatch. I could easily observe that he was losing interest in his proud steed.

Then Dicor did happen. Infact after having driven the Dicor Hatch, the NA felt like a road roller (apologies to both the hardworking machines, the road roller and the NA Indica).

Result: He drives a Swift Diesel now. The Indica, though not sold, is subjected to abuse duties.
i agree and same thing has happened with me when i brought my indica it was the regular older gen diesel engine, V2, then came turbo engine and then came dicor and then came quadrajet which also made to see more of minor facelifts on indica's with lights and panels,clusters but i still love my car and keep maintaining it the way i did 4 yrs before when it was new,afterall its my car and i love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Here's my take on it :

There are 2 kinds of abuse you spoke about
1) Not idleing thing: I think this is plain ignorance, even though it is mentioned in the manual, people dont really know about the funda about oil reaching the turbocharger and all that and unless they know the seriousness people dont follow it.

2) With regards to not fixing dents/ broken orvms/ tyres without thread left/ headlight broken/ horn not working: These owners are not really passionate about the car like we guys are. They have a mindset that they need to extract as much out of the car with as little money as possible. You can call them "conjus marwadis" or whatever. Hence they wont fix an issue as long as the car is running. Remember, they bought the indica in the first place because it is cheap to run and cheapest diesel money can buy

Cheers,
Nitin
yeah nitin somewhat agree on your points.

But then on this topic what i believe is that after indica's and indigo's arrival many more new tech engines and models came by with people having their tata's vehicle stand by or kept for long runs with drivers aside or for office communite which is why people does seems giving an chalta hai attitude with tata;s cars as they had already ripped it till time and feel that its fine with this car as also if one;s planning to sell it off does this kinda stuff with rough handling,though its personal to behave with your car.

Last edited by vijaythacker : 19th March 2009 at 15:26.
Old 26th July 2009, 16:53   #74
BHPian

Seven Cow Bride

Reading that original post, I was reminded of the following story:

"In a small, rural town in Africa, a young man decided to get married. It was the custom in that area that when a young man decided sought a woman in marriage, he would pay the bride’s parents a dowry in cows. If a woman was of average appearance and ability, the dowry might be two or three cows. If less than average, fewer cows. And if a particular young lady was extremely beautiful and talented, a young man might pay as high as four cows. In rare situations, he’d offer as many as five.
How many cows a man was willing to pay for his wife became a bragging point for the women. As the story goes, George found a young lady who struck his fancy but who was rather plain and ordinary. George approached her father and offered to pay him seven cows for her hand in marriage. Seven cows! No one could ever remember anyone paying that much for a wife. The whole town mocked George for being so foolish. Well, the wedding day was set, and everyone in the town was there. The bride’s father put on quite a party, but the conversations all day revolved around how foolish everyone thought George was for having paid seven cows for such an ordinary and plain wife.
Several years later, a traveling missionary came to town and began hearing all the stories about George and his seven-cow wife — how this young man had paid so much for such an ordinary woman and how the whole town had mocked them to the point they had moved away. The traveling missionary decided he must see for himself how this story had played out. When he knocked on the door of George’s house that first evening, he was impressed with the appearance of the entryway. George’s face lit up when the missionary introduced himself at the door and quickly invited the visitor into his home. He introduced the missionary to his four young children. All handsome young boys,and very well behaved, thought the missionary. He was also impressed with the cleanliness and order in the home. After entering the living room, George’s carried in a drink from the kitchen, where she was preparing dinner. The missionary was taken aback at her beauty, poise and grace. He thought to himself that George must have gotten another wife, as this woman was anything but plain and ordinary.
George invited the missionary to stay for dinner. After a lovely meal, the two men retired to some chairs on the front porch. The missionary complimented George on his beautiful wife, great family and immaculate house. “But what happened to the woman you had paid seven cows for?” George replied that this was the same woman.
The missionary marveled and said that he had heard the stories from the other village about the plain, ordinary wife George had married. “What changed?” he asked. George replied that he had always wanted a seven-cow wife, that she knew he considered her a seven-cow wife, and that she had risen to the bride price. She believed in her worth."

Sometimes I think we treat our cars the same. If we have paid a high (as a percentage of our income or the difficulty level obtaining it, if it was a gift) price for it, we would look after it and the car looks good all the time.

Another question - the fact that higher end cars have fewer dents/scratches - is it because other drivers give it a wide berth or is it just that they are driven more cautiously?
jimmy_iaf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2009, 19:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

Indica owners normally dont love their cars ...

e.g. I used to drive a Zen and an Indica DLE about 5 years ago.... and its true, I always drove the zen with more love and respect.

Why?

Because for me, the Zen was a priviledge to drive. It was fun and I revved it to bits, but I always tried to slow down for the speed bumps...

The indica, for me was just cheap transport. It had been very unreliable for me on multiple occasions and I personally just liked one thing about the car : the cost / km. Hence I ended up caring for it less.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks