Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2009, 12:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post

Ideally I would have stopped them and told/emailed them the TIUG links for proper care , but these are senior management folks in my company, way above me, so I stay out of their way. I imagine if cabbies abuse their indicas, it is only their nature. But these are highly educated people. One of these people also show up in a cedia sometimes which is very well taken care of..

So what ? Go ahead and e-mail the links with a politically correct introduction and they will thank you for it

or just mail them and sign off as the Indica Nut
Old 14th March 2009, 12:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fact that the tata vehicles are quite ugly looking also should have something to do with this - you just don't feel a sense of pride when you are in it.
i dont agree with you on that. the indigo xl, marina and the new vista are quite good looking. i love the anniversary edition of the vista. quite brilliant. the indica was also a great looker of its time!

Quote:
Ofcourse this is all very shallow, but hey we are a bunch of guys with a hobby that helps to destroy the planet bit by bit, so why complain?
absolutely true. as car enthusiasts we actually take care of our cars meticulously. many people treat their cars worse than many treat their bullock carts and they need to be treated the same way they treat their poor cars
Old 14th March 2009, 12:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

This is usually the case with 'utility' vehicles that are usually second or third cars in the garage. Or are commercially used as taxis et al.

Used to happen with Bajaj scooters in the days gone by - well maintained car in the garage alongside a totally beat up and uncared for Chetak or Super, which still keeps running. Quite a few households I know (including that of the Super Admin here) have an Indica/go for 'general purpose' use - dropping kids to school, visits to the market (not the mall!), replacing gas cylinders, taking household appliances to the service centre etc. It is usually moving around most of the time so there's either very little time to keep it clean and tidy, or its not worth the effort.

Same with Taxi and Call Centre transport operators - they have to keep the wheels turning all the time. Was sitting in Prerna Motors, Bangalore about 2 years back and watching vehicles come in for service - the call centre cabbies come in and wait outside, their service visits are like 30 mins, 45 mins max. "Major" repairs have to be completed in the 6 hour break between two shift transports, according to the works manager there. With that kind of service, what can a vehicle look like?

Look at owners that have the Indica as their only car and you will find them better maintained.

Last edited by Steeroid : 14th March 2009 at 12:58.
Old 14th March 2009, 12:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

eg: xetaglg and greenhorn :->
Old 14th March 2009, 13:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
I have a quetion here. Why should the car run on idle before putting it on gear? Is it required for all vehicles or only for diesel?
Its needed for all turbocharged cars. for proper shutdown procedure , heck this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dure-cars.html

I guess all of you have valid points here.

I also remember that none of these things were told to me while taking delivery of the car ( regarding the car starting at half crank if you wait a few seconds after the light going off) , or regarding the idling period before/after stop/start. Though there is a sticker, not many care to read them.

I guess its a vicious circle. once the car becomes a bit aged , and HVH levels start rising, most people will stop caring for it, and the car's condition becomes worse, and it deteriorates into a downward spiral. and TASC's attitudes dont help either.
Old 14th March 2009, 13:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi greenhorn,

I would not know in what classification you would put me in!

My Marina has been ravaged on all sides on different occasions and I have stopped treating them.

But the maintenance is done as per schedule and what is given in the manual is done. Mechanically I keep it in good condition and I would jump into the car and take off for any destination after filling diesel. I am sure it is not going to leave me stranded.

My treatment to the City is the same. It also has damages to its body.

I do envy people who keep their cars spick and span, sending them off for every scratch is not going to be possible for me.

Every car of mine has had its AC on permanently. None of my turbo engined cars have been treated with the 1 minute idling at starting / stopping. That includes Viva CRDi, Safari and the Innova.

My cars are driven by me or my driver.
Old 14th March 2009, 13:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

even I dont idle it after turn on. I just dont rev hard ( over 1500 rpm) immediately before and after/before turning the engine on/off , unless urgent. again, my AC is also turned off only a minute or so after the engine has settled down ( my engine protests loudly if i turn the AC on immediately after turning the engine on, in the morning).

I drive mostly with the windows down, and can hear every noise it makes. so it might have something to do with the way I pamper my engine.

I paint the scratches myself, and i guess it might not be feasible for everyone to. But would you drive around with a broken ORVM or a foglamp, or bumper?

Last edited by greenhorn : 14th March 2009 at 13:34.
Old 14th March 2009, 13:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I paint the scratches myself, and i guess it might not be feasible for everyone to.
Hi Greenhorn,

How do you do that? I mean do you spray paint? What is the colour of your car.

My poor little Solar Orange coloured Vista has already got a few scratches
Old 14th March 2009, 16:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Most the Indica I have seen in and around our local town (northern Haryana) have had dents, scratches and bumper scuffs.

I guess it is a cheap car to get hold of (or get given in dowry) and most the people who migrate from a 2 wheeler to an Indica do not really know how to drive properly. For them it is a learning vehicle.
Old 14th March 2009, 18:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Hi Greenhorn,

Yup..need more details greenhorn. I usually get my small scratches touched up by my dealer for free, but yeah, definitely interesting if I can do it myself.

Reg most users abusing indicas (or for that matter any car), I think it's more to do with the fact that they dont love their car. As T-bhpians it's given that we love our cars and take care of them, but for most people it's not such an intimate relationship

With Indica I guess it's many things combined
1) Rough and rugged image
2) Cheap service and spares
3) Lots of rattles, niggling issues etc. A few of these issues remaining unsolved is enough to get you to hate your car.
4) Most importantly the cheap "taxi" that doesnt act as a status symbol for them

So in the end, their car becomes the tool that gets them from A to B.

BTW I know one of my colleagues who sold his Indica (diesel) within it's warranty period (less than 2 years). Reason for sale was that his car almost always refuses to start after being driven for some 50-100 kms at a stretch. He needs to crank it for atleast a minute (sometimes more) before it starts again. And again some issues with a strange loud sounds from the AC; also the AC becomes ineffective after driving around for some time, esp on long trips.

What amazed me was the fact that it was still under warranty and the tata guys refused to accept the problem (every time he took it to the service center, the car would behave itself), so the service center guy never accepted that there was a problem.

I came to know of this issue only after he sold the car (after suffering a quite heavy loss due to depreciation :( ). I would have pointed him to this forum, but it was too late by then.

He's now looking around to buy another car. It's a sad story !!
Old 14th March 2009, 18:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
But would you drive around with a broken ORVM or a foglamp, or bumper?
Not with the first two items in the broken conditions. My Marina does not have them, whereas the City has them and I don't use them. I am lucky that I have not any of the lights.

I would live with the scratches or dents on a bumper, but not a broken bumper!

Either of my cars see more than 2000rpm very very rarely!

I forgot to add in the first post: I do take the Indica over bad roads faster than I would in my City.

Last edited by trrk : 14th March 2009 at 18:46.
Old 14th March 2009, 20:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Hi Greenhorn,

This route is recommended only for people with cars painted in solid shades.
check out this thread for more info
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1091994

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBarber View Post
BTW I know one of my colleagues who sold his Indica (diesel) within it's warranty period (less than 2 years). Reason for sale was that his car almost always refuses to start after being driven for some 50-100 kms at a stretch. He needs to crank it for atleast a minute (sometimes more) before it starts again. And again some issues with a strange loud sounds from the AC; also the AC becomes ineffective after driving around for some time, esp on long trips.

What amazed me was the fact that it was still under warranty and the tata guys refused to accept the problem (every time he took it to the service center, the car would behave itself), so the service center guy never accepted that there was a problem.

I came to know of this issue only after he sold the car (after suffering a quite heavy loss due to depreciation :( ). I would have pointed him to this forum, but it was too late by then.
We have a very significant amount gyaan on the indica starting problem issue , and have several threads on it. I think there should be enough info here ( and on TIUG) to write an entire book!
I think this particular issue was discussed here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...em-indica.html

oh well, guess its too late.

PS: @ Paulbarber. SPH at pulimoodu is stocking nippon pylox spray paint. Its cheaper than com paint, but doesnt have the seperate thinner, and the shade match is not guaranteed (they're selling it as general purpose spray paint) so the quality might be a bit less. wanna be a guinea pig? My com paint can is all out,but am waiting to get a scratch before buying a can

Last edited by greenhorn : 14th March 2009 at 20:10.
Old 14th March 2009, 20:53   #28
BHPian

Quote:
We have a very significant amount gyaan on the indica starting problem issue , and have several threads on it. I think there should be enough info here ( and on TIUG) to write an entire book!
I think this particular issue was discussed here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...em-indica.html

oh well, guess its too late.

PS: @ Paulbarber. SPH at pulimoodu is stocking nippon pylox spray paint. Its cheaper than com paint, but doesnt have the seperate thinner, and the shade match is not guaranteed (they're selling it as general purpose spray paint) so the quality might be a bit less. wanna be a guinea pig? My com paint can is all out,but am waiting to get a scratch before buying a can

Whoa!!...I didnt know it was such a common problem with Indicas. Poor guy (my friend). If he'd told me earlier, maybe he wouldnt have had to sell his car (it was an extreme step if you ask me, he did it without consulting many people). Anyways what's done is done. He's now (not so happily) car-hunting for a new car. Buying a new car isnt an especially bright idea at this time for him (recession...job security...) :(

And abt the pylox spray paint?, I guess I would rather not be a guinea pig Lemme read the link u posted. As I said earlier I get my scratches touched up along with regular service. Anyways good to know!!
Old 14th March 2009, 21:08   #29
BANNED

Sorry if I'm being rude but I don't understand this thread at all. Somebody (else) buys a car - whether they (ab)use it or shed tears every time a scratch appears, how does it matter to me?

My opinion is independent of the company or the model or the variant.
Old 14th March 2009, 21:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

the point of this thread was, I see only indica/indigo owners abusing their cars, and not the others, and Especially since I'm a proud indica owner, I feel sad for them, kinda like how the fiat and standard fans hate to see 1100's and heralds buggered up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks