Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 08:36   #91
Senior - BHPian

I just happened to drive my friend's 5-year old Indica V2 DLS that had run 60000 kms. No rattles or squeaks. His father who uses it is a retired bank manager and takes good care of it. So much, that my car actually feels older. Can't blame it as it has seen the worst of roads and has covered twice the distance.
Old 5th March 2010, 10:48   #92
BHPian

Reopening this thread to get the views of new Vista and Manza owners.

Iam accustomed to seeing dust covered Vistas plying in Bangalore roads.
Today morning, i was shocked to see a smartly dressed gentleman driving a Silver QJD Aura Manza covered in inch-thick layer of dust. Made me wonder if he would have been a little less lazy if his drive was a Silver ANHC. Wanted to stop and ask him if he didn't feel to need to show off his new car to his neighbours? Or does he live in a jungle.
Even among Vistas, i see a hierarchy - Vista TDIs being the worst maintained of the lot!

Imagine i gift you a pen, and casually mention the price to be close to 2 lacs. You will keep it on a pedestal and shine it everyday and put a glass cover on top.
Had i mentioned it was a 5 bucks road-side stuff, you would probably toss it to the dog to chew on.

Same applies here. Tata cars are the cheapest means of getting from A to B with more comfort compared to others in the same segment. And people who buy Tata cars care more for the frugality and comfort than looks and upkeep. And it reflects on the state of their cars, IMHO.

Last edited by WindRide : 5th March 2010 at 10:51.
Old 5th March 2010, 12:36   #93
BHPian

Exactly.. Most people who buy them buy it for the practicality and not because it looks good. (by the way, they don't look good.) So they will not care if it is dirty. And believe me, these cars can take everything.
Old 7th March 2010, 22:05   #94
BHPian

I too was guilty of abusing my 7yr old indica in the sense that in the later years after facing a lot of electrical niggles would not have cared less if the car had been totalled!
Even though the car was kept knick-knack with regular service visits, by year 5 i wouldnt care to slacken my speed while going over broken roads(but the car never had a major mechanical problem).guess the cheap ownership cost and its rugged feel was the culprit.
These things aside i personally doubt any other hatch from maruti or hyundai would outlast heavy abuse on the chassis/suspension front.
Old 8th March 2010, 10:04   #95
Senior - BHPian

Indigo Marina in the family now

Picked up a 94,000 kms run Indigo Marina for my dad last month. The car was company owned and in great shape. The engine is fresh and lively. Just needs a change in tyres.

A month of running around and my dad loves the car, especially the backseat which is very comfortable when he has the driver with him. My son and my brother's kids love it too and spend most of the time in the boot where they play 'matching' card games and stuff.

Last edited by discoverwild : 8th March 2010 at 10:06.
Old 8th March 2010, 10:19   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Iam accustomed to seeing dust covered Vistas plying in Bangalore roads.

Today morning, i was shocked to see a smartly dressed gentleman driving a Silver QJD Aura Manza covered in inch-thick layer of dust. Made me wonder if he would have been a little less lazy if his drive was a Silver ANHC. Wanted to stop and ask him if he didn't feel to need to show off his new car to his neighbours? Or does he live in a jungle.
That is really an illogical conclusion. Just because the car isnt clean, it doesnt mean that is uncared for. There can be multiple reasons why the car wasnt cleaned for a while.. and also keeping in mind Bangalore's dusty roads dust settles quite soon, even if not cleaned for a week.

Take the case of my car. Its a daily drive, and i havent employed the watchman to clean my car, since i prefer to do it myself. I am able to make time only once a week to do so, and if for some personal reason, i am unable to devote time to it, the car looks like it just came out of a duststorm. That surely doesnt mean i love or care for my car any less than someone who drives an ANHC.

If the car is not attended to for mechanical complaints, then its ill-treatment.. not cosmetic factors such as an unclean car.

Hope the point is made.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2010, 10:40   #97
BHPian

I agree with benbsb29. A unclean car does not mean it has been abused.

I have an well maintained 2006 Indica DLG Turbo run more than 121000 kms. This car has never let me down with any serious problems. Yes there were niggles.

I cannot imagine if i had some other car in the similar Price bracket which coulds have taken such abuse?
Old 8th March 2010, 11:11   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
....Just because the car isnt clean, it doesnt mean that is uncared for...
I took a random count today morning while on way to office.
Unclean Indicas out-number ALL other makes, PUT TOGETHER.

Hmmmm.......

Last edited by WindRide : 8th March 2010 at 11:13.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:19   #99
Senior - BHPian

another reason is that most indicas run a significantly higher mileage, and through badder terrain than other cars. When I looked at the cars owned among my friends, I saw that mine ran the most, and through the worst roads. In addition, if my friend cleans his car, it stays clean for weeks Mine becomes dusty/muddy in a day. So I reserve cleaning for those special weekends when I'm free ( I dont let anyone else touch my car but me, and that includes cleaning)
And then my car comes out all sparkly, and people around for miles know that I've washed my car. In fact , sometimes it rains in tvm because of it ( Immortalz's law)

@ zavegur - I am offended by that! I take great pride in maintaining my indica. Its a great personal car, if you can get over your prejudices.

Last edited by greenhorn : 8th March 2010 at 11:35.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:25   #100
BHPian

well, lets be honest., owning an indica is not that much of a pride anyway! Let alone maintain it! It is the best car- for TAXI. period.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:34   #101
BHPian

I agree with Greenhorn, the usage also make difference. I use my Indica DLG daily for 105 Kms for commute for work. Usually clean it only on Monday’s. By Friday the car looks brown from Salsa red, I can’t help it.
It has run 55K Kms with minor issues in last 2 years.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:46   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavegur View Post
well, lets be honest., owning an indica is not that much of a pride anyway! Let alone maintain it! It is the best car- for TAXI. period.
You are WRONG buddy.
I have seen some very well maintained (rare though) Xeta Petrol Indicas.
I agree with greenhorn. I guess the diesel indicas get abused a lot more and look pitiable most of the time.

Last edited by WindRide : 8th March 2010 at 11:49.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:57   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I take pride in my Indica. So you don't like it. That doesn't matter. It is a matter of personal choice.

Last night, a couple of friends and I were discussing about doing a wildlife trip which would require mild off-roading. While one of them, commented that we would need a jeep for that road, the other (who is with me on all trips) just smiled and said, you don't know what we are capable of.

The kind of stuff, I have pulled off with the Indica and the earlier Sierra, would put a lot of the wannabes to shame.

So please get it right. You don't like the Indica (probably you don't own one), but I do own one and I am extremely proud of it. To make note, I have owned an equal if not more number of Maruti and Hyundai cars as well.

Here's the link to my car's history - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-report.html
Old 8th March 2010, 14:21   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, that may be you, but not me, mate.
I own a beautiful black Indica Vista TDi, and I do take pride and keep the car spotlessly clean.
Old 8th March 2010, 14:25   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Well, if its my hard earned money, I will be very proud of it. At the end of the day 3+ lakhs Rupees is not exactly throw away price for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks