Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 12:16   #1
BHPian

Front facing Vs Rear facing Vs Side facing seats in MUVs/SUVs

What kinds of seats do you prefer? And what do you think of other seat configurations?

We have got lots of MUV which have different kind of seat configuration.

- Bolero, Tavera have 3rd row side facing seats (..J..JU)

- Innova , Xylo have all 3 row front facing (..J...J..J)

- Omni has Rear facing seats. (..JL....J)

PS:

Bolero, Tavera have utilised the compact dimension to maximum use. No wonder Tavera having smaller dimension than Innova/Xylo can seat 10 people easily.

While the Innova offers ulimate high speed comfort. Very relaxing a recling seats with ample leg room. I bet one can easily sleep through the whole journey.

The Omni has a unique seating position, where passengers face each other. This creates a very sociable environment for travel. Its similar to train travel where we can play cards and be very comfortable .
Old 16th March 2009, 12:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

From extensive personal travel experience I can vouch for the following:-
1. Best configuration is when you are facing the same direction as the movement of the vehicle.
2. Side way seats are a big pain in the neck and the other frequently used part especially in mountainous roads.
3. Facing each other (a la omni) is sociable only if you have fairer sex on the opposite bench, otherwise I dont especially like rubbing my legs with another pair of hairy appendages.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2009, 13:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Would always prefer the front facing seats configuration, also it is the most safe as your seat belts can do their job properly in the unfortunate event of a headon crash or a shunt from behind ! Also feels good to sit facing the direction of travel, if you know what I mean !

IMHO, Omni's 8 seater configuration prevents the driver and co passenger from having seats that they can adjust for forward and aft movement (not the co passenger's seat) and adjusting the incline of the backrest. The passengers sitting facing the rear are not comfortable either becuase the backrest is at a 90% angle.

Wanderernomad has already mentioned the other problem of not having enough leg room and having to position one's legs very carefully to avoid making constant contact with the passengers sitting opposite you !
Old 16th March 2009, 16:34   #4
VKJ
BHPian

The rear facing seats are bad in the long term, some people might face motion sickness, I have this experience in the shatabdi that moves from bangalore to chennai with the seats in this way!
Old 16th March 2009, 17:46   #5
BHPian

Rear facing seats are actually more safer. Rear facing seats seats prevents whiplash injuries.

Check this link...
Rear-Facing Carseats and Safety
Old 16th March 2009, 18:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

@ ritz830

That is only in the case of a headon collision, isnt it ? I guess the driver and co passengers head restraint will double up as one for the passengers sitting in the rear seat facing the rear of the vehicle if they align themselves properly ! However, you are still at risk of a whiplash injury if you are rear ended ! Especially as the Omni rear seats do not come with head restraints !

Checked out the link too, it refers more to babies and children, dosent it ?
Old 16th March 2009, 22:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
@ ritz830

That is only in the case of a headon collision, isnt it ? I guess the driver and co passengers head restraint will double up as one for the passengers sitting in the rear seat facing the rear of the vehicle if they align themselves properly ! However, you are still at risk of a whiplash injury if you are rear ended ! Especially as the Omni rear seats do not come with head restraints !

Checked out the link too, it refers more to babies and children, dosent it ?

I think its generic. But more detail on children. The first sentence says its for all.

Basically, all baby seats are positioned rear facing. Seems its a universally accepted position.
Old 17th March 2009, 23:52   #8
BHPian

Sitting on Side facing seats on the third row creats motion sickness and pain in the neck. I still remember one trip where I was in the third row of a Qualis from Trivandrum to Changanassery (some 150kms) through the twisty and mountainous midlands of Kerala. That day was spoilt.

Rear facing seat is ok in a train, but not in automobiles. In the case of train, if you are not in an a/c compartment, I would prefer the rear facing side seat since I do not like the constant pounding of wind in my face.
Old 27th March 2009, 17:21   #9
BHPian

J J J is the best seating arrangement. I always wondered why the windows for the third row seats are always of sliding type. Why don't they provide normal windows?
Old 9th July 2009, 03:03   #10
BHPian

Side facing seat modifications - are they comfortable?

Have seen some modified vehicles/ limousines having side facing seats. Are they comfortable to travel in? Won't the side to side movement due to acceleration and deceleration be disconcerting?
Old 9th July 2009, 10:37   #11
BANNED

Not travelled in limousines. But during my child-days travelled in a Standard van with side seats. Not a big problem from my perspective. It was better than the rear-facing seats in Omni !

And, have you travelled in Mahindra Jeeps ?
Old 9th July 2009, 13:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

If the driver of such side facing seat vehicles accelerates and decelerates smoothly, then there is not much problem. He should also take the turns quite slowly, else you get literally 'unseated' !
Old 9th July 2009, 18:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

So why don't manufacturers make rear facing seats especially for the rear passengers? Surely, rear end impacts are less common and happen at slower relative speeds meaning that seatbelts can do the job in case of a rear end impact. Also, frontal impacts will cause far fewer injuries. Same in buses too. Why not? I've wondered about this for a few years now and haven't seen a convincing answer yet. The only thing is the feeling where you can't see the road but surely that won't take long to get used to

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 9th July 2009 at 18:08.
Old 9th July 2009, 20:26   #14
BHPian

Only front facing seats please! I cant travel in any seat facing any other direction (in cars, train, tram whatever). I feel very giddy.
Old 9th July 2009, 20:41   #15
BHPian

front facing seats. they are quite convenient for everyone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks