Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:40   #1
BHPian

Civic "E" to be discontinued and "S" Relaunched

Through reliable source from Honda got to know that Civic E will be discontnued and S will be relaunched.

This is because there was hardly any demand for the E version before the price cut. The S version would be launched at almost the same price as it was, when it was discontinued.

Not a nice move, now!

After the recent price cut in E version, the best selling version is E. It would not be a nice move to discontinue that.

I think It was Honda's fault at the first place launching the E model with all the fetaures ripped of at just 100k difference from S and then discontinuing the S version, "How on the earth can u get this much features in just that difference"
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:15   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it might work better. The E was a bad idea IMO, ruined the civics image to an extent frankly.
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:29   #3
BHPian

Yes Sahil agree to that fact and the other reason I think after the recent increase in City prices the, The City S is very closely priced to E version.
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

I too think it ll work better. Civic S was a better buy. Civic E was a wannabe luxury sedan. Would like to see how Civic S fares with Altis.
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:58   #5
BHPian

Are they continue CIVIC Sport?

Will CIVIC VMT will be there or that is also getting replaced?
Old 3rd April 2009, 15:24   #6
BHPian

@ Deepaonline,
Civic S was a Limited Editon version but I didn't got a positive reply from customers and few of them are still lying at dealers.

They are 2008 makes and dealers are giving discount upto 80000 for this.
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't Honda come across as a really confused carmaker these days?

Anyway, I feel the E was a fantastic move by Honda but faced failure due to Honda's fundamental problem - overpricing. If it was another lakh cheaper, I really think their strategy would have paid off very well, JUSTIFYING the price difference and the existence of the cheaper model.

Relaunching the S, I don't really know. I suppose it has to be done because the V is not really what one would call VFM, and there was a gaping hole between the E and the V A/T.

However I'm pretty sure of one thing - I don't expect the S A/T back, just the S M/T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_budhiraj View Post
@ Deepaonline,
Civic S was a Limited Editon version but I didn't got a positive reply from customers and few of them are still lying at dealers.
By that I assume you mean the Civic Sports and not the Civic S. Two distinct models. The Sports versions on sale now are all 2008 models AFAIK and are being offloaded. One can get them for a few thousand more than the V M/T variant. Arya Honda has 2 from what they told me. The Sports has fabric seats - terrible VFM I'd say, rather go for the V M/T which has leather and better looking alloys, sans a redundant bodykit considering the damn thing is really low-slung to begin with (unless you want to get marooned at every speed bump looking sheepish). If you're still interested anyway, I'm sure you could get a fat discount on one of them.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 3rd April 2009 at 16:12.
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

I live in Mumbai and I have only seen ONE civic E and one CIVIC sport so far since they have launched.. there are so many civics around but most of them are V or S variants.
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yup, the sports model makes the low GC civic even more lower, and extremely difficult to manage on speed breakers!
Old 3rd April 2009, 18:21   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Civic E was rubbish and deservedly a failure in the market! It lacked the charisma of the regular Civic (wheel caps!! C'mon) and was probably targetted toward the tourist cabbies. However, the low rear seat effectively made the Corolla a favorite with commercial users.

Out with the E. Good move.
Old 3rd April 2009, 18:22   #11
BHPian

Well, probably the only reason Honda will discontinue is their over pricing strategy.

First they put overpriced ANHC in 9-10 L segment. (which is dangerously close to Civic E).

Now after removing E, they can safely increase price of ANHC!!!

By which they can easily position their Jazz around 8-9 L segment.

So, IMO, their pricing strategy will be,

8- 9 L: Jazz
10-11 L: ANHC
12-14L: Civic
18-21L: Accord
>21L : CRV (after price hike)
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Well, probably the only reason Honda will discontinue is their over pricing strategy.

First they put overpriced ANHC in 9-10 L segment. (which is dangerously close to Civic E).

Now after removing E, they can safely increase price of ANHC!!!

By which they can easily position their Jazz around 8-9 L segment.

So, IMO, their pricing strategy will be,

8- 9 L: Jazz
10-11 L: ANHC
12-14L: Civic
18-21L: Accord
>21L : CRV (after price hike)
and by pricing the models so closely.. honda might just be playing a different kind of game here..

for example: a person in the market to buy the Jazz might think.. why not just go for the city. after all its not much more than what I am already paying.

and the same way the person going for the city might end up with the civic!

many people also go for the entry level Accord instead of the top end civic. though here the gap is a bit more. but still it happens.

smart move by honda.. must say. they are really encashing their popularity and goodwill here.
Old 4th April 2009, 00:55   #13
BHPian

here in india honda makes the civic "luxury saloons" rofl. but in US the civic is the best selling car mind you but a "compact " sedan lolz wow.
Old 4th April 2009, 10:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yep. In the US they drive boats with four wheels on freeways which are as wide as they are long and straight. No sense comparing class levels in the US to the India.
Old 4th April 2009, 10:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
here in india honda makes the civic "luxury saloons" rofl. but in US the civic is the best selling car mind you but a "compact " sedan lolz wow.
So is the Corolla. So are the Accord , Camry and Sonata. So is the Laura in EU. Tell an American that we pay almost USD 17,000 for the Verna (Accent) and he will get a heart attack!

These are two different markets. Honda probably sells more Civic's in one month in US then in the whole year in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks