Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2005, 09:18   #16
BHPian

this is how it is in the US on our 2 cars (mine and my sister's):

You cant see when it was registered that clearly in the pic, but u can see the 7 characters though. The registration months are on the left hand side of the plate, and the current registration year (2006) is on the right hand side. The registration month sticker is NEVER changed, but the year sticker is every year. Every state in the US works the same way, but some states have 6 characters, some have 7, depending on what style the plate uses. All plates haev to start, at least this is in Calfornia, with a number first. California has a preety simple standard design compared to most states. I think this system would have been better for india...it's eaiser no doubt, for both owners and authorities to keep track of. I think by far the coolest feature are custom plates, which my dad's car has: "PANCREA" and one of our vans had it too.

Last edited by CaliAtenza : 26th May 2005 at 09:20.
Old 27th May 2005, 12:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye
I had a few months back noticed a Santro (zipdrive) bearing the number MH01-M-XXXX. I am pretty sure about this and was taken by surprise because I too believed that the alphabets stand for the year of registration. Generally MH01-M-XXXX is 1992. And it was M and not MA for sure. Also have seen a lot of MH04-E's in white number plates, whereas they are tourist cars.
Hey hawkeye,

Nice observation there. What you saw was a new vehicle having an old number. In Maharashtra, it is possible to transfer a registration number to a new vehicle provided the original vehicle is scrapped, re-registered, or transferred to another state. Hence, the Santro had the 1992 number plate!

Even the reverse is possible. Old vehicles (that obviously look old) can also be re-registered to have new number plates. I saw an old 800 (95 model, probably) having the number plate MH-43-A-XXXX. Obviously re-registered in Vashi.

The series MH-04-E had been reserved for light, commercial vehicles. Since the sales of this class of vehicles is relatively lower than private vehicles, you don't see a lot of them. Hence, so many Indicabs are registered MH-04-E-XXXX! However, they should bear a yellow plate. If not, there is some gochi!

Cheers!
Old 27th May 2005, 15:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR
Hey hawkeye,

Even the reverse is possible. Old vehicles (that obviously look old) can also be re-registered to have new number plates. I saw an old 800 (95 model, probably) having the number plate MH-43-A-XXXX. Obviously re-registered in Vashi.
Yes, they generally do during transfer of residence, especially if it is State to State, or where car in one state is sold to a party in another state.

Revv
Old 27th May 2005, 16:49   #19
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think new to old registration is possible. Old cars can be registered with new registration only if they have moved from the "jurisdiction" of one RTO to another. I dont think Registration numbers can be transferred from one car to another under any circumstances.
Old 28th May 2005, 07:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12
I dont think new to old registration is possible. Old cars can be registered with new registration only if they have moved from the "jurisdiction" of one RTO to another. I dont think Registration numbers can be transferred from one car to another under any circumstances.
Thats what I thought. You cannot have old registrations for a new car. Also I have seen lots of MH04-E cars in white plates. BTW, does anybody know when a car which is registered as commercial (yellow plates) is transfered to a private registration, does it retain the same number i.e. MH-04-E. In that case, cars with MH-04-E in whites may be a tranfer from commercial to private and that may be legal.
Old 29th May 2005, 03:00   #21
BHPian

it is possible to get an old reg. number transfered to a new car...one dude in my colony has done this.... they charge some handsome money for that.....( and yes, it is legal).....he got his old maruti number for his new elantra....
and i am talking in terms of delhi
Old 29th May 2005, 04:00   #22
BANNED

have seen a accord and E class with the same xerox plates. belonged to the same fellow. though i have heard its not allowed welcome to bombay i guess
Old 29th May 2005, 06:02   #23
BHPian

hi guys -this Similar numbers thing- this is how it works -- if you have contacts right in deep RTO , all you gotta do is to pay some handsome cash to book a number in your name -- give them a certain period to wait for - if your car's not comin immediately. those guys keep the number for some days - if you claim it well within time - you got it or you lose the money and the number !!
the on going rates for some nos. in pune --
MH 12 XX 1212 @15k
MH 12 XX 0001 or 0011 or 0111 or such numbers - around 20k
and if you want something like MH 12 XX 1000 and so on .. it costs you around 10k for booking and another 20k for the number.

P.S.- which job would fetch a fatter wallet home - RTO agent OR Civil Engineer - please help guys i am not able to decide
Old 29th May 2005, 10:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

I've seen lots of cars with same regn's. I've also seen cars having multiple regn's.

Speaking of good no plates, there is a car in my area that has this regn:
XX 43 XX 4343
Old 30th May 2005, 01:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBMW
I was walking down breach candy the other day, and i saw the most beautiful site... a porsche carerra 911 S black one and a black Mercedes S 350L with the same number plates leaving the same building!!!! unbelievable... there was some guy driving a porsche... and he was driving it the way a porsche should be driven! fast!!! the noise from the car was unbelievable... does anyone have any idea who this guy was? someone who owns a 911 S and an S 350 L??? im not sure if this is the same guy.. but about i think in febuary i had a race with a silver C 220 CDi... same number plate again!!! but there was some younger kid driving the car that time... any ideas who these big shots are?
hey kingBMW i know this family. ya the numbers are the same.the "younger kid" as u call him is a friend of mine.that porsche is an absoloute rocket on wheels.he drag raced with a SL55 amg on worli seaface the night he got the car.kept up too.
Old 30th May 2005, 13:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar
hi guys -this Similar numbers thing- this is how it works -- if you have contacts right in deep RTO , all you gotta do is to pay some handsome cash to book a number in your name -- give them a certain period to wait for - if your car's not comin immediately. those guys keep the number for some days - if you claim it well within time - you got it or you lose the money and the number !!
the on going rates for some nos. in pune --
MH 12 XX 1212 @15k
MH 12 XX 0001 or 0011 or 0111 or such numbers - around 20k
and if you want something like MH 12 XX 1000 and so on .. it costs you around 10k for booking and another 20k for the number.

P.S.- which job would fetch a fatter wallet home - RTO agent OR Civil Engineer - please help guys i am not able to decide
Hey,
U got it a little wrong ...
All you need to pay is Rs 10k and book the number.. They give you the receipt with the number on it ..
when you send car for registration then u submit the reciept with the papers and you get the number...
For getting 1 to 10 and 1000,2000,3000. etc.. you need deep contacts ...
Old 30th May 2005, 13:23   #27
BHPian

Fancy no plates

in recent times it has become a big fad to have the so called VIP no plates...but have to admit they do look good and people do associate cars with their nice no's.

i have no's on my cars like 97, 9, 100, 324.....

in delhi there is also a new "fancy" no regn plates which statr of like for eg. DL 1 F 0001 "F" indicating fancy no.
Old 30th May 2005, 13:56   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
I've seen lots of cars with same regn's. I've also seen cars having multiple regn's.

Speaking of good no plates, there is a car in my area that has this regn:
XX 43 XX 4343
Gordon,

Are you talking about the Qualis? If Yes, I have seen it too!

Cheers!
Old 30th May 2005, 15:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

No, its not a Qualis.
Old 31st May 2005, 14:53   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by byramshroff
hey kingBMW i know this family. ya the numbers are the same.the "younger kid" as u call him is a friend of mine.that porsche is an absoloute rocket on wheels.he drag raced with a SL55 amg on worli seaface the night he got the car.kept up too.
hey byramshroff... your joking right? this guy and an SL 55 drag racing???? and no one got pictures of this??? that would have been an awesome site... what i wouldnt give to be in one of those cars at that time!!! have you sat in this porsche??? how is it from the inside??? is it spacious or is it as crammed as it looks??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks