Team-BHP - Safari Common Rail Engine Launch? EDIT 010805 Now driven. Edit 190805 Now BOUGHT!!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Safari Common Rail Engine Launch? EDIT 010805 Now driven. Edit 190805 Now BOUGHT!!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/5676-safari-common-rail-engine-launch-edit-010805-now-driven-edit-190805-now-bought-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
a BLACK beauty in stock then I will soon be riding high...

so it is going to be a Safari.
i have never driven one.
I think i should atleast take a test drive.
one of my friends who has Safari says it is like a merc both while driving as well as in maintenence
is it true?

Quote:

if they have a BLACK beauty in stock then I will soon be riding high...
"not easy to convince" steeroid impressed already ?
great dude ! must me a good enough improvement ..130horses aint no joke ..am sure the new safari is churning out a lot of torque ..

when do you get your hands on a test car ?

...of what Steeroid has to say , I must agree it sounds tempting.
I am planning to buy one early next year and I hope TATA gets its bang-on this time.

What about the price ? I still think that the top of the line will be around 10.5 L, though I hope they have a mid model at around 9.5 L

So is it being launched tommorow 2nd Aug ? And where is the launch ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeroid
Rest of the paperwork is a mere formality and if they have a BLACK beauty in stock then I will soon be riding high...

Do not forget the sticker "Yes, My Dad owns the road"

News Just in from a Tata dealer "60k Increase across the range"

I believe the Safari EX 4X2 is around 8.8 ( Mumbai)
an extra 60 K would take it to 9.4 ....

So in Delhi we can expect it to be around 9.15 , which I think is great !

When is the Launch ? 2nd or the 3rd of August ?

In bangalore its on 5th AUG

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUV
News Just in from a Tata dealer "60k Increase across the range"

Hey Thats really cool man.. I think with all those features into the vehicle the pricing is more than justified.. Now lets hope that the waiting queues are not very long..

Manish

Not entirely convinced - the interiors are still pretty tacky. Switches have improved but the plastics are still below par. Lets put it this way - the Innova is in the same price range and the plastics of the Safari are nowhere near those of the Toyota. Come to think of it, the plastic quality is nowhere near that of my Accent either. Gaps in the body panels are large, though they do tend to look smaller on such a large car.

The Tata Common Rrail range will be called DICOR. The car has DICOR stickers on the side and the back, which stands for Direct Injection COmmon Rail. No more CRDx, then.

The engine is rather quiet and the engine bay features some heavy duty sound deadening cladding not unlike the ones you see inside the cases for those "silent" generators.

The rear seats feature a 60:40 split and tip over completely to uncover enough space for a queen-size mattress to be laid. The two jump seats in the back fold very neatly into the plastic cladding and do not protrude into the luggage bay at all. Very neat for kids.

The alloy wheels are standard on the 4WD versions. I found the 4WD shifter quite unobtrusive with just a dial thts says 2WD or 4WD when you rotate up and down, next to the headlamp leveller which is a similar dial.

There is a split a/c with a roof mounted vent (not blower, but with coils and stuff) in addition to a floor level vent for the rear seats. The rear seats are, well, REGAL. Scorpio go take a walk - THIS is what a rear seat should be like.

The front doors have courtesy lamps under them which light up when the door is opened so that you can see where you're putting your feet. They also feature red safety lamps that light up to let others know that your door is open. There is a provision to mount a rear camera on the Exi, but the Vxi will come with the camera and monitor.

No sunglass holder, not even the basic stuff found in the Indigo. The steering wheel is borrowed from the Indigo and is allegedly Leather Clad, but the way its been stitched is rather slipshod. BAD JOB, waste of good leather.

The engine is derived from the 407 LCV block. Somebody mentioned that Delphi developed the Common Rail injection for Tata and they are right - there are Delphi stickers all over the engine bay. There is some confusion with the OTHER Tata Motors dealer still claiming 115 bhp for the 3 litre though they do not have a test or demo vehicle with them. The sales manager there also seemed to be quoting an old Overdrive issue verbatim.

The dealer who HAS the test piece with him confirms that there is also a 115 bhp 2.4 litre CRD (sorry, DICOR) engine which MAY be used in a cheaper version of the Safari, or even used to power the Sumo. This is in addition to a 2.4 litre 135 bhp petrol motor.

I've been told that the top Vxi model will feature all the goodies and a much better dashboard. This model will cost approx 10.50 while the Exi will cost 9.5 and the Lxi will be 8.5. Good value for money, pity about the plastics.

No black beauty in stock - all the models in transit to the dealer are SILVER. Yaaawn.

I should get my test drive in about an hour...

Also tell us how comfortable it is to drive in the city as the previous engine Safari was a pain to drive in the city traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
The dealer who HAS the test piece with him confirms that there is also a 115 bhp 2.4 litre CRD (sorry, DICOR) engine which MAY be used in a cheaper version of the Safari, or even used to power the Sumo. This is in addition to a 2.4 litre 135 bhp petrol motor.

Great Information!! Any idea if the DICOR engine is 8 valve or 16 valve? Assuming its definetly intercooled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower
Great Information!! Any idea if the DICOR engine is 8 valve or 16 valve? Assuming its definetly intercooled.

No specifications available - even the bhp figures are yet to be confirmed as far as I'm concerned. I'll believe it when I read the printed specs. Searched the Test/Demo car for an owners manual or any sort of printed material but the only manuals on that car were for the Blaupunkt audio.

Headlights are pretty powerful.

Guys...its a dream for me to buy this beauty....

any idea about the Mileage...

and also what is the difference b/w the Vxi and EXi version...apart fro one is 4X4 and the later is 4X2.....

Quote:

I should get my test drive in about an hour...
soo????
how was the ride dude ?
fill us up ..
cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo_lover
soo????
how was the ride dude ?
fill us up ..
cheers

LOL you seem to be waiting on tenterhooks. Sorry mate - I had a very long drive back home after the drive, which was in another city.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarun Gupta

any idea about the Mileage...

:Frustrati :Frustrati please:

I was about to test a 3 litre, 4 wd SUV not a Hero Honda CD100 for god sake! Is that ALL you could think of?