Team-BHP - Safari Common Rail Engine Launch? EDIT 010805 Now driven. Edit 190805 Now BOUGHT!!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Safari Common Rail Engine Launch? EDIT 010805 Now driven. Edit 190805 Now BOUGHT!!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/5676-safari-common-rail-engine-launch-edit-010805-now-driven-edit-190805-now-bought.html)

Hi Guys

Read about the Safari with the Common Rail diesel engine on this month's Overdrive.

Sounds interesting, though I was hoping for a much bigger engine (2.5 litre plus). Does anyone have any indication when this might be launched (OD said something like 2 months)?

Have always been a Safari fan - this news is probably the only thing that would make me reconsider the Innova...

We were expecting the 3.0 litre CRDI. A 2.2 litre is rather a disappointment for me though. I really hope that they do not have a extravagant price hike. It would do well only if they do not hike the price substantially.

The Scorpio is there and people are waiting for the Fotuner too.

Well it still sounds interesting and i expect it to have more power then the scorpio CRDe.
Only time will tell.

wow.... cant wait to test the crdi safari. does anyone have any concrete dates??

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini
Well it still sounds interesting and i expect it to have more power then the scorpio CRDe.
Only time will tell.

OD speculates that the 2.2 litre mill churns out 115 PS, which is very much above what the 2.6 litre Mahindra (or should I say Peuguot) motor produces. Quite plausible since the 2 litre engine produces 90 bhp and Tata have been known to tease out the most bhp per diesel litre in the past.

I would still like to see the 3 litre, though. I hope they have multiple engine options, but that would be hoping for too much. I wouldnt mind the current Safari with the new engine as long as the interiors (especially the switches) are of better quality. Driving that vehicle sure gives you an ego trip...

[quote=Steeroid]OD speculates that the 2.2 litre mill churns out 115 PS, which is very much above what the 2.6 litre Mahindra (or should I say Peuguot) motor produces. QUOTE]

Dude - thie scorpio engine is developed by mahindra with help from AVL. The pug engines are in the bolero family

[quote=ajmat]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
OD speculates that the 2.2 litre mill churns out 115 PS, which is very much above what the 2.6 litre Mahindra (or should I say Peuguot) motor produces. QUOTE]

Dude - thie scorpio engine is developed by mahindra with help from AVL. The pug engines are in the bolero family

I think you will find that AVL basically worked on the Peuguot engine and developed it further - I do not think Mahindra developed a new engine. They took help from AVL and earlier from Hawthal Whiting on the NHV front.

Correct me if I am wrong...

But does not the Scorpio CRDe produce more power then the Crdi Safari.. 2600cc 115BHP Crde engine??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montoya
But does not the Scorpio CRDe produce more power then the Crdi Safari.. 2600cc 115BHP Crde engine??

The Common Rail Safari is as yet an unknown entity. The only news I have heard is OD's 'speculation' that the 2.2 Common Rail engine develops 115 PS (or was it BHP?). Was quite surprised because I'd heard of Tata developing a 3 litre Common Rail motor, not a 2.2... hence this thread.

Steeroid,

Any link or pics??

Manish.

Whats the point of improving Motors when the overall Vehicles are in such a bad shape...
Have driven a friends Safari done 40000Km ... The thing rattles beyond imagination and has lost all intergrity ...
Talk about Indian SUV's ... they should be built like tanks considering the road conditions in India ..

Quote:

I think you will find that AVL basically worked on the Peuguot engine and developed it further - I do not think Mahindra developed a new engine. They took help from AVL and earlier from Hawthal Whiting on the NHV front.

Hey, I thought MICO Bosch developed CRDE engines for Mahindra. Then what is AVL? :confused:

Quote:

Ajmat is right. Scorpio engine is based on an existing Mahindra iron block (and head) pushrod tractor engine. (yup you read that right). AVL designed a alloy head with the DI fuel system(source =OD). Peugeot relationship is over. In fact they are now pals with arch rival Renault for the REV116 petrol and of course the Logan project. They did do an NVH package to quieten the Bolero engine (XDP series) and that was probably with Hawtal Whiting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sivadas
Hey, I thought MICO Bosch developed CRDE engines for Mahindra. Then what is AVL? :confused:

Bosch simply supplied their fuel injection system to Mahindra. BTW its not really a new engine. Its like replacing the Spaco carb on your bike with a Mikuni carb and tuning it....dosent make it a new engine necessarily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower
Ajmat is right. Scorpio engine is based on an existing Mahindra iron block (and head) pushrod tractor engine. (yup you read that right). AVL designed a alloy head with the DI fuel system(source =OD). Peugeot relationship is over. In fact they are now pals with arch rival Renault for the REV116 petrol and of course the Logan project. They did do an NVH package to quieten the Bolero engine (XDP series) and that was probably with Hawtal Whiting.

Have my doubts on whether AVL worked on the International Tractor engine (the one refer to as the pushrod tractor engine is the Intl Tractr engine from the 70s) or the Peuguot XDP engine. They still use the XDP in the Bolero, so the Peuguot relationship was probably not required. The Scorpio also used to (or still does) come with a non-turbo model which ran on the Bolero engine - I am assuming therefore that the same engine was worked on and turbo-ed by AVL.

As far as I know, Mahindra havent developed or built an engine from scratch - their vehicles have had variations of the following engines (GTO may be able to help here, since he's the jeep expert):

Hurricane Petrol Engine from the World War 2 Jeep

International Tractor engine of the '70s, put into Mahindra jeeps when the petrol prices went up. This has been turned into a direct injection diesel and is used on the Commander/Major etc. The major change to this has been the shift to a 4 speed gearbox from a 3 speed.

Peuguot XDP (another agricultural engine, this time mated to a Kia gearbox) used for the MM540 which incidentally was made with dies imported from Korea.

I dont think the international tractor engine was a 2.6 litre affair, so that couldnt have been the one worked on by AVL. The Peuguot XDP also had a 2.6 litre displacement, if I'm not mistaken - hence the speculation that this is the one that was 'tweaked' by AVL for use on the Scorpio.

Lets get back to the topic, though.