Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2009, 13:22   #16
BHPian

I think the big plus point for Lexus can be a better A.S.S. if they use the current Toyota service station. Another plus can be, if the parts are cheaper to replace than those of its German rivals.

Also, there have been pics of Acura (euro accord) going around for a while on team-bhp.
Old 5th May 2009, 13:53   #17
BHPian

Lexus is one of the most successful brand of Toyota.

So, people will definitely go mad after it, especially with toyota's support & reliability.
Old 5th May 2009, 16:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
Although Lexus globally is seen as an alternative to Merc and BMW, I'm afraid it'll be seen as a lesser brand in India. Especially because it hasn't got the "German" tag. Their SUV's will do very well, no doubt. I talk only about the sedans.

IMO, the LS will be seen as competition to the VW Phaeton in terms of pricing and branding (although in terms of everything else, it's BETTER than the S and the 7, IMO).

I may be wrong, but if the majority of the car buying public are as ignorant as the people I come across everyday........

All through the range, I think the cars will be seen as direct competition to VW and not Mercedes etc. And any contrary pricing will affect their sales.
I disagree with that.

Considering that the brand isn't officially avaliable in India, Lexus has tremendous brand recall in India. Toyota will not have to spend a single paisa on marketing Lexus cars. Even their sedans will do very well in our market. IMO even the very ignorant prospective car buyer is aware of Lexus and what it stands for in our country. Of course, it's not going to be easy to take on the German's, I am not saying that Lexus will trounce Merc and BMW but it will give VERY good competition to the German trio.

Of course, among the Japanese trio, Lexus is the most well known in India and will easily trounce the competition. Honda maybe outselling Toyota in India, but Lexus will easily annihilate Acura (and Infiniti) over here.
Old 5th May 2009, 16:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd say Lexus has a pretty upmarket image in India, thanks to Harshad Mehta & the many Bollywood LX470s. Managing (or elevating) this premium image shouldn't be too difficult for Lexus. Especially if you consider Skoda's success in transforming what was a bargain Euro brand as a semi-luxury one.

Just the fact that premium customers still opt for diesel (economy, robustness, lesser problems) in their German cars says to me they are a practical lot. This segment will certainly appreciate the supreme reliability + peace of the mind factor of a Lexus.
Again, as I mentioned, the SUV's will rule their segment, no doubt about it. The sedans might have a problem. Why would anyone buy a LS460 over a BMW 740 Li? Similar cars, similar economy....(LS has got a better, more powerful engine but since when has power been a necessity in India?)..Brand wise, I think most people (esp those buying luxury cars) would prefer a Beemer or a Merc. Unless Lexus comes up with extraordinary fuel economy or prices, I doubt they can break Mercedes' and BMW's stronghold on the market, especially the higher end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post

I've been harping on about the Acura TL & RL and it would be awesome to see Toyota/Honda go at it again! Lets hope Honda also gets in on the act...
Lexus already has a decently well-established image in India. Acura, I'm afraid is literally unheard of. What Honda can do, is capitalise on their brand image and bring the TL and RL and sell them as Honda cars. Acura is a definite no-no IMO.
Old 5th May 2009, 17:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Lexus already has a decently well-established image in India. Acura, I'm afraid is literally unheard of. What Honda can do, is capitalise on their brand image and bring the TL and RL and sell them as Honda cars. Acura is a definite no-no IMO.
Honda does sell many of its Acura range in other markets as Honda. So it will not be anything new to them.
Old 5th May 2009, 17:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

If they want to do CBU only, then they cannot compete effectively in the 3series, C class category. CBU will work for the LS and LX
Old 5th May 2009, 19:00   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why would anyone buy a LS460 over a BMW 740 Li?
I don't know about the new 7, since I haven't had a proper drive in one yet. But I can tell you this. 9 times out of 10, with things as they are today,

I'd pick the LS460 over the Merc S-Class. And I've driven either (the S more)

- It is infinitely more reliable than the S Class.

- Read the previous point again. Reliability means that much to me. To finish first, you gotta first finish. And the Lexus is simply more dependable!

- I prefer the proportionate lines of the LS460 to the quirky S Class.

- It has better ride quality and is far more silent.

Related post from another thread:

Quote:
I love the Mercedes S-Class, and that statement includes any generation. The S-Class represents the world's greatest car manufacturer doing what they do best. It is my absolute favorite sedan and nothing can beat what it stands for, its history, pedigree, heritage and extravagance. I yearn for the W126, W140 and W220....the W221 is a heck of a luxo-barge too, but I can't digest the awkward design. It has presence, yes, but is far from timeless. An S-Class just has to be timeless.

Coming back to the topic, despite my favoritism with the S, I don't agree with Auto Express' decision. Why? Simply because for "luxury" alone, the Lexus LS460 has the S-Class beaten. The LS scores higher points for comfort , has a better ride and is quieter on the move (bet that works for the 19 speaker sound system!!). Most importantly, it is infinitely more reliable than the W221 S-Class. Consider this : the LS has maintained the best ranking in JD's dependability surveys for 13 years, as well as topped Consumer reports several times! While the Germans want to combine handling + ride quality + sporty + driving dynamics in their luxury cars, Lexus focuses on one thing and that only : Luxury. To an enthusiast who loves to drive, the S & 7 are a fit. But for the typical chauffeur-driven CEO, the LS460 is king.
Old 5th May 2009, 19:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know about the new 7, since I haven't had a proper drive in one yet. But I can tell you this. 9 times out of 10, with things as they are today,

I'd pick the LS460 over the Merc S-Class. And I've driven either (the S more)
True, I agree with you 100%. I think I mentioned somewhere in this thread that, personally, I feel that the LS is a superior car to the S and the 7.

You and I know that, and most other car enthusiasts will also probably feel the same way. But I'm talking about the general public. The prospective customers for that range are likely to be 40+ and the majority of them are not going to look at anything but the brand. At least, that has been my experience with them so far...which is why I'm assuming that Lexus won't be able to compete unless it shows a superior F/E or an inferior price.
Old 5th May 2009, 23:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

nothing like that F450. Any car in India which is a good package will sell.
Lexus is a very well known brand compared to honda's accura and Nissan's Infinity.
Well Lexus gives very tough competition to the 3 Big players in the Luxury segment Bmw ,Merc and Audi.
I think the Brand will do extremely well and as mentioned by GTO .Toyota's service in india has been ranked the best and well established and i dont see any reason why lexus owners will have problems related to service(Highly unlikely that their cars will be problematic)
Old 6th May 2009, 02:47   #25
BHPian

I guess this is good news for BMW and Merc in India if they believe in some healthy competition - Haha

In terms of reliability I think lexus has taken it a few levels up which is tough for others to catch up. I own a lexus, a very old one at that - 92 model year SC 300. The car has a little more than 180K miles and still runs great. It is not just about the engine and transmisison and other hardware but the interior parts like electronic seat adjusters, sun roof, window / door electronics also hold up pretty good. Like everything else it also has known issues and niggles but overall it is way way way better than the competition.

But in terms of "fun to drive" factor I am not sure how lexus fares against BMW, Audi and Merc.
Old 6th May 2009, 07:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
But in terms of "fun to drive" factor I am not sure how lexus fares against BMW, Audi and Merc.
I think a BMW is still better to drive compared to a Lexus. A Lexus is great at luxury and reliability, but when it comes to the sheer pleasure of driving I think the BMW is still ahead.
Old 6th May 2009, 09:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Bring us the Accord Euro (Acura TSX) and the Honda Integra! I'll sell my soul to Satan to buy an Integra Type R, I swear.
Old 6th May 2009, 09:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Wow,Great news altogether.there was a rumor that toyota was looking for new dealerships regarding their small cars some time back.In that case for the lexus brand another set could be expected.Whenever i see a toyota dealership its done in a way that evokes a feeling inside you that its going to get better bigger cars some day in the future.So lets hope the better bigger lexus dropes in as soon as possible.But in that case definetly new set of dealers for the small cars should be employed to keep the class apart.
ram
Old 6th May 2009, 11:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Bring us the Accord Euro (Acura TSX) and the Honda Integra! I'll sell my soul to Satan to buy an Integra Type R, I swear.
Desperate for an Integra, aren't you? Or is it the Type R?? Anyway, Acura doesn't have the recognition like Lexus in India.. Especially down south where the "Gelf" Malayalis and others have seen Lexus as a luxury brand in the Middle East and Acura is non existant there..
Old 6th May 2009, 16:25   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You and I know that, and most other car enthusiasts will also probably feel the same way. But I'm talking about the general public.
That's where an unbiased medium like Team-BHP steps in. Neutral awareness
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks