Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 23:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
AFAIK, VW does not share anything with Skoda in India. They are 2 separate entities. Although the same parent company they operate as 2 independant companies here.

So effectively Skoda India are not related to VW india. I doubt they share the same engine stocks.
But they are going to share VW's Chakan plant - so more cooperation maybe on the anvil, or ?
Old 12th May 2009, 00:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

A4 is a N-S mounting and Superb/Passat is E-W so the engine is similar but not the swappable.

Besides the engine has to be calibrated and homologated specifically for India, so they must be really serious about this segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
my guess is they have excess engines stockpiled that will fit the A4 engine bay without too much fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
But they are going to share VW's Chakan plant - so more cooperation maybe on the anvil, or ?
Yes, Fabia and Polo are both going to be eventually built at Chakan. It would make sense to share Passat and Superb.
Old 12th May 2009, 11:53   #18
BHPian

The 1.8 should make the car very competitive. Ps. The best car in the A4 line up atm is the most expensive. the 3.0 TDi Quattro! All heil!
Old 12th May 2009, 12:00   #19
BHPian

The 1.8 makes amazing sense. The A4 exudes more of a luxo feel than the 3 or the C and that is it's strong point. That said, petrol German luxos don't really sell well.
Old 12th May 2009, 12:34   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
AFAIK, VW does not share anything with Skoda in India. They are 2 separate entities. Although the same parent company they operate as 2 independant companies here.

So effectively Skoda India are not related to VW india. I doubt they share the same engine stocks.
Don't kid yourself. They may not share aesthetic and certain design elements but mechanically ALOT is shared by each arm of the VA Group. How would you explain the 3.0 TD engine being used in the Toureg, Q7, Q5 and now even the Cayenne, albeit with a slightly different state of tune?

It's not hard to change the mount positions on a block...much harder to design an entirely new powerplant!

Last edited by Screwdriva : 12th May 2009 at 12:35.
Old 12th May 2009, 14:10   #21
Team-BHP Support

Screwdriva, I'm not kidding myself at all.

If you read my post again albeit a bit more carefully, I was talking about Skoda India and VW India. Nowhere have I mentioned that VW and Skoda don't share parts. I know very well the Laura and the Jetta have the same mechanicals and so do other cars belong to VAG.

I am trying to say that VW India and Skoda India are 2 companies operation independant of each other in India. VW does not use parts from the Skoda plant situated next door in Aurangabad. They get their own from the kits from Mexico I believe.

Same goes for the Laura and Superb. They share common parts but do not share the same parts bin in India. Both VW and Skoda import them separately.

As lancer_rit has posted, the only tie up VW and Skoda India will have for the first time in India is for making the Fabia in the VW Chakan plant.

I hope you got my point as lancer_rit and Mpower have understood what I was trying to say.

Most Viewed