Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2005, 15:15   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
No offense to Wagon-R owners, but I hardly find anything great about Wagon-R when compared to Santro. May be it is more stable at 80+ speeds, but then both Santro/Wagon-R are meant to be city vehicles and on highways, both will be smoked by Palios, Swifts and may be Getz. The build quality of Wagon-R is average and I would rate it lower than or equal to Santro. And for non-believers, I did hear funny sounds from Wagon-R, which we just took delivery of. I don't see any reason why I should not rate Wagon-R and Santro at same quality level.

May be you can tell me why I should.

Well so many threads already exist for the WagonR vs Santro fight. Even i am getting bored of all this...

But since you asked it.. here goes:

1. WagonR more stable at 80+ (as you yourself mentioned)
2. Handling better than Santro (even though its taller than Santro)
3. Ride quality better than Santro.
4. Fuel efficiency much much better.. (i get 14kmpl+ regularly in City while my brother who owns a Santro has to be satisfied with 12-13)
5. Cheap spare parts and good after sales, more resale value.
6. Reliable japanese technology (thank god not Korean)
7. Electronic Power steering as opposed to Hyraulic PS in Santro.
8. Tall gear ratios (dont know if thats an advantage or not, to me it is..,)

Having said that , i am not saying its the best small car to buy... that depends on person to person... some people like Santro, while some like me like WagonR...while some find Palio better..

And yes, i didnt notice any "funny sounds" from the car... but yeah, i do hear a lot of "funny sounds" in my Friend's Indica v1...
Old 6th June 2005, 16:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

I did think before posting that I would rub few Wagon-R owners on the wrong side. Anyway!

Quote:
1. WagonR more stable at 80+ (as you yourself mentioned)
2. Handling better than Santro (even though its taller than Santro)
3. Ride quality better than Santro.
4. Fuel efficiency much much better.. (i get 14kmpl+ regularly in City while my brother who owns a Santro has to be satisfied with 12-13)
5. Cheap spare parts and good after sales, more resale value.
6. Reliable japanese technology (thank god not Korean)
7. Electronic Power steering as opposed to Hyraulic PS in Santro.
8. Tall gear ratios (dont know if thats an advantage or not, to me it is..,)
Ride quality better than Santro? Didn't find any difference. In fact, back seat of Santro is more comfortable for 3 than Wagon-R. Claims about FE are always subjective and depend on individuals. A/S/S is almost same for Maruti and Hyundai. Don't know of reliability issues with Santro. But, EPS is surely an advantage over HPS.

In all, both the cars are almost as good as other, exceling in some areas and lacking in others. So, I dont find any logic in saying that Santro is low quality car compared to Wagon-R or not upto the mark. They are in the same league.

Quote:
And yes, i didnt notice any "funny sounds" from the car... but yeah, i do hear a lot of "funny sounds" in my Friend's Indica v1...
V1? That's a mini-truck you are comparing with. BTW, V2 looks far better than both Santro and Wagon-R.
Old 6th June 2005, 17:48   #63
BHPian

Coming to the part on the elentra... I was very disappointed to find a elentra parked in our garage one fine day when a bit more could have fetched a RS. Hey they were not so hard pressed on teh budget part. But after driving it for a couple of days, my whole attitude towards the car has changed. Its fast, its comfortable and i am living with it. The tech goodies do their part fine. No coplaints what so ever.

Cant compare it with our old generation accord. But still this car is new. Have to see how she turns out.

BTW i cant figure out whether the elentra is a "he" or a "she"
Old 6th June 2005, 19:25   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
In all, both the cars are almost as good as other, exceling in some areas and lacking in others. So, I dont find any logic in saying that Santro is low quality car compared to Wagon-R or not upto the mark. They are in the same league.
Well said RX135
Old 6th June 2005, 20:48   #65
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine owns both Santro and Wagon-R. He loves Santro very much over Wagon-R. He has his own reasons for his love towards Santro. That's his personal opinion

Wagon-R may score in a segment which might not be in the interest area of this person. It has been rightly said that we cannot rule out/generalize a car as JUNK, based on our personal experiences.
Old 7th June 2005, 00:28   #66
BANNED

Quote:
May be you can tell me why I should
1) Is more powerful then Santro..

2) more confortable.. Rear seas recline which is missing in a S class as well

3) Tachometer present

4) ABS and Airbags optional wheras only ABS is optional on the Automatic Santro

5) EPS feels better then Santros hydraulic

Quote:
Elantra is given with 1lac discount and not 2 lacs
That is now.. before it was 2 lacs for some limited time..

Quote:
good mileage
Petrol or diesel.. The petrol gives 7kmpl and the diesel gives 11 whereas the Octy.. you all know..

Quote:
Have you sat inside a new indica lately
Lately sat in a Indigo Marina Diesel i hope you get the point.. took her for a spin.. was pullin her and the test drive guy who accompanied tells me shift the gear dont pull so i got mad and then took her to 100 and put her in 1st gear.. and the amount of noise was ........

But at idle also the diesel noise was way too much and performance not too good.. but i would say ok for the FE it gives..

Quote:
I found it more comfortable and roomier on the inside than a skoda!
It is no doubt but the ride and FE of an Octy and the brakes and the handling.. plus such a bumpy ride.. never would pick up a Elantra considering there are way better cars in that segment..

Quote:
You name it it has it
Steering mounted audio controls..
Sun/Moon Roof
Internally closing ORVMs.. and yeah the Elantra costs Rs.11.5L on road without discounts it is 11.. since discounts in mumbai is Rs.50K..

Quote:
Both indica and indigo have been the best handling cars i have expirienced
no offence but try out other cars... then you will come to know my point..

Quote:
giving it a thumbs up in terms of performance
You know ACI read my review coming up tomorow on the swift.. and yeah that indica they gave a thumbs was a more powerfull..

Quote:
The tech goodies do their part fine
Just want to know whether the Traction Control really does work or not.. since as many times i have test driven her thats thrice the TCS failed to work as it did on the Octy vRS TPI..
Old 7th June 2005, 08:59   #67
Team-BHP Support

Is it a crdi? How much on the odo till yet> MY cousin is planning for and elantra. Any idea about service costs? Oil change etc., etc.,
Old 7th June 2005, 16:28   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya
1) Is more powerful then Santro..
2) more confortable.. Rear seas recline which is missing in a S class as well
3) Tachometer present
4) ABS and Airbags optional wheras only ABS is optional on the Automatic Santro
5) EPS feels better then Santros hydraulic
More powerful? Santro is 63 PS vs 64.8 PS of Wagon-R. If this is more powerful for you, then both are grossly underpowered compared to Palio and Indica. I hope, you are getting my point. More comfortable? This is already discussed at length. By your logic, Wagon-R should have more comfortable backseats than S-class. And since when did we start comparing cars by Tachometer? How many people buy fully loaded Wagon-R with ABS + Airbags? Let's be more realistic. Just for sake of argument, refer to following comparison (heavily biased towards Santro)

http://www.santroxing.com/fea_com/pd...i%20&%20AX.pdf

I am not a fan of Santro, but I am very sure that Santro and Wagon-R are very much similar cars, in the very same league.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks