Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2012, 09:26   #61
BHPian

Re: The Maruti Omni thread (Maruti Van)

Maruti Omni was a cult in the 80s and 90s . The cool hero of the movies never found their college life complete without one .
Every negative character or gangster used to have one in the movies . Sliding door was a cool thing . Its charm was used extensively by the movie directors and dance masters in their arts .

Personally I loved Omni from when I was a kid . As mentioned before the sliding doors and the shape drew me close to this car . I even had a Toy Omni Car .

However time has passed and now we live in this 21st century with automobiles sales soaring up . Just in a little state like Kerala there are 72 Lakhs ( .72 Million ) automobiles . Increasing traffic , lack of traffic rules enforcement , lack of safety equipments in vehicles , bad road conditions all of these makes driving on our roads dangerous day by day .
Due to all these reasons I feel that its time we bid a farewell to this lovely car / van . Its just not fit for this new faster / dangerous roads that we have around us . The slightest frontal impact can turn fatal to the passengers inside . Without any crumble zones / Airbags / ABS's this car is no long safe to take it on our roads .

I really wish or request our authorities to ban the production and sales of this car in our country .
rejoycjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 23:04   #62
BHPian

I had fond memories of 1995 make Maruti Omnipresent which I got from my father. My father used to have an official ambassador and a personal premeir padmini car in Vizag. He sold the premier padmini and got a Maruti omni van.

Driving an omni was like a joy ride with good torque and steering response not seen in Amby or Premier cars. I got hooked onto it and got it Bangalore after my dad got a santro.

I was a bachelor boy then and was into firs job after MBA. It has been a companion on many road trips ( Yercaud, mangalore, ooty, coorg etc) along with other friends. The most convenient way to accommodate 6-7 persons was to remove the rear seat an put mattresses for folks to sit or sleep. It would get to speeds of 80-90 and then occasionally do 100 km/h.

My work friends use to say that they get feeling of a video game due to high torque and maneuverability of the car.

Finally to sum it up, it was a car with amazing road view, good torque and space. Th flip side being stability and safet features.
Old 3rd October 2012, 17:25   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Good to know people are still buying the Omni in 2012. Can you post some pics of the 2012 Omni for us?
I bought mine in 2007, it has done around 35K and is doing great, absolutely maintenance free except for the scheduled oil changes. Still use it for long distance trips especially when going with the extended family, recently back from a trip to Wayanad. Would love to see pics of the 2012 Omni too, please share.
Old 24th April 2013, 15:41   #64
BHPian

Friends, I have an Omni which doesn't have seat belts.I need to get them added.Would somebody help me out? I need to find where in Bangalore, I can get the seat belts fitted

Thanks

Nijelj
Old 24th April 2013, 16:30   #65
Senior - BHPian

Wont Maruti Service fit it for you? My friend had got his done at Mandovi, you can try there.

Friends, I have an Omni which doesn't have seat belts.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 18:05   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

I think going for the original locking retractor type belts from maruti itself. Better not take chances with local options. The kit will cost around 1500 i think but not sure.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 18:11   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I think going for the original locking retractor type belts from maruti itself. Better not take chances with local options. The kit will cost around 1500 i think but not sure.
100% agree with audioholic. I think he forgot to add to get it done ASAP. It's a risk not to have seatbelts in cars.

BTW, which model Omni came without seat belts? AFAIR, the first gen SS80 Maruti 800 came with seat belts, isn't it?
Old 24th April 2013, 19:22   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

BTW, which model Omni came without seat belts? AFAIR, the first gen SS80 Maruti 800 came with seat belts, isn't it?
I think all Omnis manufactured before 1997 or 98 did not have a seatbelt. We had one around fifteen years back when I was a kid which did not have seatbelts. My cousin got an omni in 1998 which was the first time I saw seatbelts in real life(i was not a good observer during that time). Those were the non retracting ones.

Retracting type seatbelts were fitted at the front from 2002 onwards with stricter regulations put into place and also all passengers received seatbelts.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 21:18   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I think all Omnis manufactured before 1997 or 98 did not have a seatbelt. We had one around fifteen years back when I was a kid which did not have seatbelts. My cousin got an omni in 1998 which was the first time I saw seatbelts in real life(i was not a good observer during that time). Those were the non retracting ones.

Retracting type seatbelts were fitted at the front from 2002 onwards with stricter regulations put into place and also all passengers received seatbelts.
Thanks for the detailed info. I think the Maruti 800 had seatbelts since inception. Didn't it?
Old 24th April 2013, 21:32   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
100% agree with audioholic. I think he forgot to add to get it done ASAP. It's a risk not to have seatbelts in cars.
Quote:
I think the Maruti 800 had seatbelts since inception. Didn't it?
Only ss80 DX version was equipped with seat belts and not in ss80 std versions.
Even type1 M800 (post 1986 model) came without seat belts. 1996 DX versions had but standard versions never had.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th April 2013 at 13:23. Reason: Corrected typo as per request.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 17:34   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Friends, I have an Omni which doesn't have seat belts.I need to get them added.Would somebody help me out? I need to find where in Bangalore, I can get the seat belts fitted

Thanks

Nijelj
Update : Asked Sagar auto at Dairy circle.They said that seats will have to be changed for the upgrade. Huh?
Then called Mandovi, and understandably they don't have it in stock.They said I will need to give an advance and they will get it from Maruti. Around 1000rs each side.No will-give-by dates promised.And yesterday,I think a policeman eyed me for the non-existent seatbelt.

I use this vehicle only because my Nano is not back.So I will drive very slowly and need only a non-retracting seatbelt. If someone has heard about a grey market fitment, please let me know?

Last edited by nijelj : 30th May 2013 at 17:35. Reason: grammar
Old 5th January 2014, 11:38   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Only ss80 DX version was equipped with seat belts and not in ss80 std versions.
Even type1 M800 (post 1986 model) came without seat belts. 1996 DX versions had but standard versions never had.
From 1994 onwards The standard Maruti 800 came with factory fitted seat belts
Old 5th January 2014, 11:55   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed info. I think the Maruti 800 had seatbelts since inception. Didn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
You meant type 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
I am not sure of the exact dates, but my uncle's 1994 M800 AC does not have seatbelts whereas my 1995 M800 AC came with two front seatbelts.

Hope this helps.
Old 5th January 2014, 12:02   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
I am not sure of the exact dates, but my uncle's 1994 M800 AC does not have seatbelts whereas my 1995 M800 AC came with two front seatbelts.
Seat belts for front seats were made mandatory equipment for all new cars as part of Motor Vehicles Act 1994. So all vehicles manufactured after March 25, 1994 had to comply with the rule from then on.

EDIT: Does anyone remember the exact year when rear seat belts were made mandatory? Just checking when 800 or Omni came with them should suffice since Maruti would have never included seat belts into these two cars unless the law mandated it. Some old news articles point towards 2002. Can someone confirm?

Last edited by zenren : 5th January 2014 at 12:25.
Old 5th January 2014, 13:08   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are too sure then I am wrong. But now fully convinced.

Last edited by rajeev k : 5th January 2014 at 13:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks