Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2005, 14:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i am guessing you have an older model as my 94 model had a shift-on-the-fly( am presuming the gear stick kind of thing is called this )for the 4 wheel drive .
no, manson, a shift-on-the-fly four wheel drive is like the ones found in safaris and pajero 3.2 Di-D's. the 4 wheel drive can be engaged while the car is in motion, by just turning a knob, upto speeds of 60 kmph (only 4H mode). the gypsy's four wheel drive, even the ones on the kings, are standard manual shift, with the lever for engaging the four wheel drive- but you have to bring the car to a halt before you can engage the 4 wheel drive(L- but even for high, you have to depress the clutch), and the front hubs have to be locked seperately. the safaris, pajeros, etc. have automatic hubs, that lock to the front axle as you engage the mechanism.

so, a shift on the fly mechanism is a fully automated four wheel drive mechanism, where the central transfer case has electromagnetic clutches and motors to engage the four wheel drive. the gypsy, has a manual engage mechanism for it's four wheel drive....including the hub locks... and my gypsy's 94-95 model...

Quote:
Yo Veyron buddy, welcome back to another fortuner-like thread..
he..he.. it seems we're going down that route again..

Quote:
Forget it, just go for a used Tata Sierra
actually, i would suggest the sierra turbo- i used to have a naturally aspirated sierra, and longed for the turbo... the turbo is one helluva machine....

Quote:
I guess you are already waiting for the last two.. like myself and Veyron1..
yeah, i guess we'll be waiting until dec. before we go in for the safari crd-i, out of sheer frustration of waiting for the toyota...what say manish....??

Quote:
Not any more. Now no more getting out. Just slot the lever. For 4WH the car need not be stopped. For 4WL you have to bring the car to standstill and then move the lever.
actually, tsk, you still have to depress the clutch, before slotting 4H; and the hubs have to be locked seperately.... yes, for 4L, you have to bring the car to a standstill- the same is the case for all 4WD's... but i guess you know, since you had a gypsy yourself... but nice car, eh dude..??

natarajan, if you have the moolah and don't want to wait, then the best option would be the endeavour..it's the best 4x4 in that price category...else, wait for the safari crd-i or the fortuner...
Old 15th June 2005, 14:59   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
actually, tsk, you still have to depress the clutch, before slotting 4H; and the hubs have to be locked seperately.... yes, for 4L, you have to bring the car to a standstill- the same is the case for all 4WD's... but i guess you know, since you had a gypsy yourself... but nice car, eh dude..??
No they dont have to be locked separately. It was fixed in the gypsy king. The autocar review also said the same thing that now you do not need to lock the hubs separately. So you just have to depress clutch and shift into 4H. For 4L you have to stop. I have extensively used 4L and 4H on riverbeds and mountainsides, i did not have to do any of the the hub locking stuff.
Old 15th June 2005, 16:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No they dont have to be locked separately. It was fixed in the gypsy king. The autocar review also said the same thing that now you do not need to lock the hubs separately
well, you don't have to lock the hubs in the king- i have a std. which is why i quoted the freewheeling hubs...

Quote:
For 4L you have to stop.
yes... but it is the same for every 4WD SUV.... you HAVE to stop for slotting in 4WD low, for any SUV
Old 16th June 2005, 12:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
yeah, i guess we'll be waiting until dec. before we go in for the safari crd-i, out of sheer frustration of waiting for the toyota...what say manish....??
Actually, No I don't think I can wait till that long.. Which-ever comes out first is going to get itself picked up.. Of-course after considering all the aspects, like Safety, Utility, FE, etc..

I am also keeping the Tata Telcoline in the fray.

Mr. Natarajan.. Here is one more suggestion.. If you really don't care about the 4-wheel drive, here is one more off-roader that i personally admire.. Infact, this is one powerful beast which can take the rough with the smooth.. And has a loading bay as well, where you can carry your tent, camping gear and whatever else you can think off.. Wait, there is more.. It also has A/C and P/S..

Yeah, i am talking about the TATA-207-DI EX Crew Cab Pickup Truck.. That one is my personal favourite vehicle, except that it doesn't have a 4x4 and my wife doesn't like the vehicle..

Check out that one..
Old 16th June 2005, 12:36   #20
BHPian

great.
let me check out that tata vehicle.

There is this Mind set up, i have.
that leans in favor of the Fortuner.
Plus, My Beautiful neighbor has Bough a NHC yesterday and my Kid is cribbing!!!!.
So I am going to include Snob value also for this SUV.
Strange, How I have grown up.
Old 16th June 2005, 13:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_s_natarajan
great.

There is this Mind set up, i have.
that leans in favor of the Fortuner.
Plus, My Beautiful neighbor has Bough a NHC yesterday and my Kid is cribbing!!!!.
So I am going to include Snob value also for this SUV.
Strange, How I have grown up.
Natty

So now you will have a Palio, a Fusion and a 4wd....nice garage, even if a bit strange. Thought you were also considering a Petra/Ikon somewhere down the line.

Didnt know the NHC carried any snob value, but you never know. I wouldnt recommend the Tata Crew Cab since its a manpower mover, not a family mover. Its a very capable vehicle and the export versions look very butch with huge tyres, bigger bumpers, plastic cladding all around and some very nice bull-bars, but strictly not for family.

Let us know when you finalise your garage. I'm sure you're looking to get rid of one or two of the existing vehicles too - which one gets the axe?
Old 16th June 2005, 14:25   #22
BHPian

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Natty

So now you will have a Palio, a Fusion and a 4wd....nice garage, even if a bit strange. Thought you were also considering a Petra/Ikon somewhere down the line.
of one or two of the existing vehicles too - which one gets the axe?
hi long time.
I think Palio will Go.
the 1.2 version is a bit sluggish. I am still inclined to wait for Fortuner. Do not know why. I absolutely have no parking space at all. Have to buy a better House down the line.
Umm snob value.

Suddenly I am developing that atitude. Want to have things which
tells people I have a distinct taste.
Nice to C ur reply
Old 16th June 2005, 18:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
great.
Mr Natarajan,

Sure go ahead and checkout that vehicle.. Just use a bit of imagination and consider some more expenditure on a nice bull-bar in the front. Some Jeep like bars at the back.. Don't cover the loading bay for christ's sake.. Add Michelin tubeless tyres to the vehicle.. With some nice steel wheel-covers.. And you are all set to rock.. I am also thinking about putting a storage-box in the back to double up as a seat.. You can put all your kids toys, camping material, sand-digging buckets, etc in the back and go where-ever you want..

Want to know more.. Check out the following link..

http://www.blonnet.com/life/2003/06/...0200170400.htm

Gears,
Manish
Old 17th June 2005, 10:34   #24
BHPian

thanks Man123ish.
I am going to do that this week end.

Sep-05 is my target when the puja vacations start and I plan to drive interiors for a couple of weeks.
Old 17th June 2005, 11:34   #25
BHPian

Mr.Natarajan,

You have exquisite taste. I am a great fan.

Will you buy me also a car ?

have to agree with the tata crewcab thing. looks damn tough man. NO ONE will mess with ya.
Old 17th June 2005, 11:38   #26
BHPian

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
Mr.Natarajan,

You have exquisite taste. I am a great fan.

Will you buy me also a car ?

have to agree with the tata crewcab thing. looks damn tough man. NO ONE will mess with ya.
Buy you a Car?
Umm.
Old 17th June 2005, 12:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
thanks Man123ish.
I am going to do that this week end.

Sep-05 is my target when the puja vacations start and I plan to drive interiors for a couple of weeks.
Good, let us know about your findings.. Also check out for the Euro-3 compliant EX version. I think it comes with a Turbo.. (Not sure about it yet..)

I've seen some of the crew-cab's being used by the Indian Airforce, in bangalore. The thing just looks cool and My belief is that the Indian army is also phasing out the GYPSY's for this Brute..

Gears,
Manish.
Old 10th December 2005, 18:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

None of the Gypsy Variants were Shift on the fly.
Infact Shift-on-the-fly is defined as the ability to change from 2WD to 4WD and vice-versa while the vehicle is moving/rolling under its own power(engine) under a certain speed.

The JEEPs have manual shift-on-the-fly since 1941. Every the modern M&M is shift-on-the-fly. Even the CLASSIC!!
Old 10th December 2005, 18:13   #29
Team-BHP Support

Huh. The gypsy kind we had was shift on the fly. You could not enagage 4L without stopping, but for normal 2wd(2L) to normal 4wd(4L) was on the fly
Old 19th November 2009, 12:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Huh. The gypsy kind we had was shift on the fly. You could not enagage 4L without stopping, but for normal 2wd(2L) to normal 4wd(4L) was on the fly

Do you mean to say you can shift from 2wd to 4wd (4L) without stopping?

PS: Sorry if it is too late to reply over this thread. I have been going over Gypsies and Jeeps thread, to get a vehicle just for OTR. Yet to understand nuisances of 4WD, so this query might seem no-brainer to you, but I need to understand

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks